Well isn't that special....

Started by VTEC_Inside, June 30, 2008, 11:18:14 AM

VTEC_Inside

http://www.torontosun.com/News/Canada/2008/06/28/6011586-sun.html

This isn't exactly going to contribute to a positive attitude towards LEOs.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

Cookie Monster

wat

So the judge took the cop's word that he only had 5 beers instead of the the police equipment? :wtf:

He goes 65 km/h over the limit and has had 2x the legal amount of alcohol and still gets off free... cops do get special treatment. :rage:

Stupid fucking judge.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

NomisR

If this was anyone else, they would've been sentenced to life in jail.. 

(before you guys nit pick, this is only an exaggeration and I know nobody would be sentenced to life in jail for a speeding ticket and drunk driving, but I know you assholes would still nit pick on this anyways)

Cookie Monster

Quote from: NomisR on June 30, 2008, 11:43:33 AM
(before you guys nit pick, this is only an exaggeration and I know nobody would be sentenced to life in jail for a speeding ticket and drunk driving, but I know you assholes would still nit pick on this anyways)
:lol:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

James Young

And then the LE apologists continue to wonder why the public hates and distrusts them.
Freedom is dangerous.  You can either accept the risks that come with it or eventually lose it all step-by-step.  Each step will be justified by its proponents as a minor inconvenience that will help make us all "safer."  Personally, I'd rather have a slightly more dangerous world that respects freedom more. ? The Speed Criminal

Eye of the Tiger

If I say anything, I'll get banned again.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

NomisR

Quote from: NACar on June 30, 2008, 03:00:16 PM
If I say anything, I'll get banned again.

Certain song lyric in mind? :lol:

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: NomisR on June 30, 2008, 03:12:40 PM
Certain song lyric in mind? :lol:

Nope. Nothing at all comes to mind. :huh: :devil:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

VTEC_Inside

On a lighter note, while you are there reading, be sure and check out the link to the Sunshine girls down on the left...

Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

S204STi

" In court, Justice Harpur found that five beers did not match the toxicology test and that he would have had to drink several more than five beers to have a reading of 180 -- which, he said, casts doubt on the reliability of the equipment.

"Your honour, we're not talking about a piece of crap from Radio Shack," argued Crown attorney Ray Williams. "

Well, it does in fact sound like special treatment.

hotrodalex

Hey judge, ever stop and think maybe he had more drinks? DURRRRRRRR....

dsred

Quote from: hotrodalex on June 30, 2008, 06:45:05 PM
Hey judge, ever stop and think maybe he had more drinks? DURRRRRRRR....

UHHHH, cops don't lie, duhhhh....

Champ

Rupert

That's a load of shit, is what that is. I hardly think we need to say much of anything, it's so ridiculous.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

rohan

Quote from: James Young on June 30, 2008, 02:39:16 PM
And then the LE apologists continue to wonder why the public hates and distrusts them.

Well remember this is Canada not the US and I've got to think there's more going on here that what'll ever get printed or even let out of the bag.  My best guess is the judge owed the detective a favor- debt paid- if you're going to bitch about someone why is the JUDGE  not the one getting bitched about?  All the cop did was what every other person I've ever seen on the stand do- stretch the truth- it's the judge (read stinking worthless piece of crap no good dirty bottomfeeding lawyer)  that's to blame here.  At least put the blame where the blame belongs.  And yes the detective should be put back in the bag and put back on the street for what he did at the very least.
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

Soup DeVille

Isn't the department free to pursue any disciplinary route they deem approriate whether or not the detective is found guilty of anything?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

James Young

Quote from: rohan on July 05, 2008, 04:36:54 PM
Well remember this is Canada not the US and I've got to think there's more going on here that what'll ever get printed or even let out of the bag.  My best guess is the judge owed the detective a favor- debt paid- if you're going to bitch about someone why is the JUDGE  not the one getting bitched about?  All the cop did was what every other person I've ever seen on the stand do- stretch the truth- it's the judge (read stinking worthless piece of crap no good dirty bottomfeeding lawyer)  that's to blame here.  At least put the blame where the blame belongs.  And yes the detective should be put back in the bag and put back on the street for what he did at the very least.

I had not thought about a ?favor? but that Ofcr. Ross had some compromising material about Judge Harpur  and the absurd decision was made out of fear.  In either case, justice and with it trust in the judicial system, takes a backseat to expediency and political influence.  Both men should be tried, found guilty and sent to prison.  Neither should ever serve in a position of public trust again.
Freedom is dangerous.  You can either accept the risks that come with it or eventually lose it all step-by-step.  Each step will be justified by its proponents as a minor inconvenience that will help make us all "safer."  Personally, I'd rather have a slightly more dangerous world that respects freedom more. ? The Speed Criminal

rohan

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 05, 2008, 04:43:47 PM
Isn't the department free to pursue any disciplinary route they deem approriate whether or not the detective is found guilty of anything?
Yes --and no.  They should go after him for operating city/municipal vehicle after using alcohol- possibly a using departmental equipment for personal use but that one depends on past history/policy and normal practices- they could probably even be able to slip a conduct unbecoming by but you can't discipline for a criminal offense that he was aquitted of - well you probably can but you'll lose in court or with an arbitrator but at least until it goes to hearing you can keep him from doing his job problem is if you fire him and he wins he gets his old job back (maybe) and back pay including any OT he can show he would have normally earned. 

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

rohan

Quote from: James Young on July 05, 2008, 05:04:41 PM
I had not thought about a ?favor? but that Ofcr. Ross had some compromising material about Judge Harpur  and the absurd decision was made out of fear.  In either case, justice and with it trust in the judicial system, takes a backseat to expediency and political influence.  Both men should be tried, found guilty and sent to prison.  Neither should ever serve in a position of public trust again.
That's all well and good but you're missing one crucial thing- evidence to convict them of wrong doing outside of drunk driving and outright stupidity on both parts.  I'm still going with favor it just looks like a favor trade to me-

~Chief Seattle

Catman

Not sure what the big deal is here.  First, if cops got off as easy as some here claim he would have never been arrested in the first place.  Second, getting out of an OUI is commonplace.  His acquittal is far from being unique police officer or not. Could it be that he was taken care of?  Maybe, but again, getting out of an OUI isn't something unique.

hotrodalex

Quote from: Catman on July 05, 2008, 07:34:12 PM
Not sure what the big deal is here.  First, if cops got off as easy as some here claim he would have never been arrested in the first place.  Second, getting out of an OUI is commonplace.  His acquittal is far from being unique police officer or not. Could it be that he was taken care of?  Maybe, but again, getting out of an OUI isn't something unique.

Thing is, the evidence is there and the judge ignores it, saying the machine must be wrong. O rly? So the machine is wrong just because a person says something contradicting it?

dazzleman

Quote from: hotrodalex on July 06, 2008, 02:34:21 PM
Thing is, the evidence is there and the judge ignores it, saying the machine must be wrong. O rly? So the machine is wrong just because a person says something contradicting it?

Guilty people should be punished.

But I think Greg's point is that lots of guilty people who aren't cops get off the hook for stupid reasons, so why is this so much different?

If you look at each case in isolation, this surely is an outrage, but there are so many others that don't involve LEOs.  Our legal system is a long, dreary series of gross miscarriages of justice, most of which go against the police and the victims of crime that they are sworn to protect.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

hotrodalex

Quote from: dazzleman on July 06, 2008, 02:38:22 PM

But I think Greg's point is that lots of guilty people who aren't cops get off the hook for stupid reasons, so why is this so much different?

If you look at each case in isolation, this surely is an outrage, but there are so many others that don't involve LEOs.  Our legal system is a long, dreary series of gross miscarriages of justice, most of which go against the police and the victims of crime that they are sworn to protect.

Good point. They should all be punished. In my opinion, we let people get off with things too much. That just leads to them continuing to do it.

Catman

Quote from: hotrodalex on July 06, 2008, 02:34:21 PM

I don't want to add blood to the water here but I've been at trials with judges that do not have a solid grasp of case law.  They throw stuff out for stupid reasons all the time, reasons that have no bearing on the case at all.  We had one that threw out an OUI case because we failed to read miranda to the victim that got hit.  Has anyone ever seen a requirement that police read miranda to a victim?  The same judge let a woman off if she could recite the pledge of allegiance.  She couldn't even do it but he let her off anyway, saying it was, "good enough".  Oh and he's still there making decisions.....life time appointment. 

Again, the stupid judge aside, I can look at the positive here.  The arresting officer did his job and brought the guy in.  Years ago that would not have happened.  Things have changed and the Law Enforcement is far more professional now then it was.  Anyone can find examples to counter that assertion but it shouldn't imply that things have not improved. 

The courts are a mess and they have zero accountability to the public.

dsred

Great! I live in the same jurisdiction and the precedent's been set. If I ever get pinched for DUI, I'm going with the "I only had two beers so the machine must be defective" Defense.

Even though a law was passed making that defense illegal...

dazzleman

Quote from: Catman on July 06, 2008, 04:09:32 PM
I don't want to add blood to the water here but I've been at trials with judges that do not have a solid grasp of case law.  They throw stuff out for stupid reasons all the time, reasons that have no bearing on the case at all.  We had one that threw out an OUI case because we failed to read miranda to the victim that got hit.  Has anyone ever seen a requirement that police read miranda to a victim?  The same judge let a woman off if she could recite the pledge of allegiance.  She couldn't even do it but he let her off anyway, saying it was, "good enough".  Oh and he's still there making decisions.....life time appointment. 

Again, the stupid judge aside, I can look at the positive here.  The arresting officer did his job and brought the guy in.  Years ago that would not have happened.  Things have changed and the Law Enforcement is far more professional now then it was.  Anyone can find examples to counter that assertion but it shouldn't imply that things have not improved. 

The courts are a mess and they have zero accountability to the public.

The courts have zero accountability because the public doesn't demand it, particularly in a state with little political competition.  The public must hold politicians accountable for the judges they appoint, and until that happens, we can expect to see more of this.

It's also a great point that in the past, the cop who was driving drunk wouldn't have been arrested or charged at all.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Catman

Quote from: dazzleman on July 06, 2008, 04:18:00 PM
The courts have zero accountability because the public doesn't demand it, particularly in a state with little political competition.  The public must hold politicians accountable for the judges they appoint, and until that happens, we can expect to see more of this.

It's also a great point that in the past, the cop who was driving drunk wouldn't have been arrested or charged at all.

It's hard to hold the politicians accountable because they are often out of office when their appointees start this crap.  I think electing judges might work but then you'll have even worse politics but at least the public would have a chance to have a say.

rohan

Quote from: dazzleman on July 06, 2008, 02:38:22 PM

But it's not our system- it's the little leftist country to our north.

~Chief Seattle

rohan

Quote from: Catman on July 06, 2008, 04:46:11 PM
It's hard to hold the politicians accountable because they are often out of office when their appointees start this crap.  I think electing judges might work but then you'll have even worse politics but at least the public would have a chance to have a say.
We elect judges here- about the same effectiveness as your system is of appointments- their still scumbag lawyers with no morals ethics or backbones.

~Chief Seattle

NomisR

The problem with the accountability of the judges is that what they do on the bench has little to no direct effect to the general public.  Majority of the public do not know who the judges are and what the judges do doesn't have anything to do with the public unless someone actually makes a big stink about it and gets on the news.  Otherwise, they almost have free reign on what they do.  There's really no real check or balance in this.  I don't really think free election is the key because that would definitely lead to other problems such of bias and other factors in order to win votes.