Try to swing a deal for a new Accord LX

Started by mazda6er, July 22, 2005, 12:19:08 PM

mazda6er

My mom needs a new car pretty soon, as she is currently driving an '87 Buick LeSabre, which she finds (justifiably) unsafe, despite its good condition. Well, I was getting my Mazda oil-changed today, and the Honda dealer happens to be right next door, so I gave the Accord another look. The two cars that we're most strongly considering right now are an '05 Accord or an '06 Sonata. Money is a bit tight right now because my dad was recently layed off, but we really do need a new car. Anyway, the sticker for the LX I looked at was $21,240 (this is the base price for the LX and there are no option packages available for that trim line). So naturally, I started harassing the salesman attempting to drive down the price.  :lol:  I mentioned we were considering the Sonata, which "beats it pretty well from the price angle and has the longer warranty", I also questioned him about the auto transmission failures and in general finished his sentences when he attempted to tell me anything about the car.  (When I asked about the trannies he was like "What, did the Hyundai guy tell you that?!", um no I haven't been to the Hyundai dealer.)  :lol:  Anyway, he came out with a quote of $18,600, ("invoice" is supposedly $19,500) at which point I suggested to him that since the '06s will have the revised rear-end styling that perhaps the price should be even a little less. He came back with a final quote of $18,200, which I think is pretty good. Do you guys think that's a deal, or did he just follow general "markdown procedure" to bait me in?
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

ifcar

$18,200 for an Accord LX 4-cyl is not a bad deal. I'd stop by your Hyundai dealer anyway, and see what prices they'll quote you for both the GLS V6 and GL and GLS 4-cyl.

Good luck.  

ifcar

Oh, and if money is tight, why not look at something like a fairly new used car, like an 05 Taurus?

BMWDave

That seems like a pretty good deal...all the same, you should stop by the Hyundai dealer and try to get a equally good, if not better deal out of them.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

mazda6er

QuoteOh, and if money is tight, why not look at something like a fairly new used car, like an 05 Taurus?
We've already got a Taurus ('03) and quite frankly we don't want to have two of the same car, although we do like it. The idea behind the Honda is that, if necessary, we could sell it and only take a couple thousand dollar hit. My parents like to be really cautious with money. The reason we'd consider the Hyundai is for the long warranty. We've taken a look at used cars in the paper though, and might go over them more closely if we don't go for our two current choices.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

Tom

You can sell later for a significantly less hit if you buy slightly used.

mazda6er

QuoteYou can sell later for a significantly less hit if you buy slightly used.
Slightly used Accords are priced so outrageously that you might as well buy new. You'll see like two-year-old ones with 40K on them for $16,000. It's something to consider for other cars though. Thanks for the input.
--Mark

ifcar

QuoteOh, and if money is tight, why not look at something like a fairly new used car, like an 05 Taurus?
We've already got a Taurus ('03) and quite frankly we don't want to have two of the same car, although we do like it. The idea behind the Honda is that, if necessary, we could sell it and only take a couple thousand dollar hit. My parents like to be really cautious with money. The reason we'd consider the Hyundai is for the long warranty. We've taken a look at used cars in the paper though, and might go over them more closely if we don't go for our two current choices.
If they're looking for something inexpensive new to hold its value well, consider a Camry as well. The Standard edition is a pretty good buy; it stickers at only $19,565 with an auto trans, and an LE is still less than an Accord LX. It would be worth your while to see how low the Toyota dealer will go, you can probably get a better price than the Accord.

mazda6er

QuoteIf they're looking for something inexpensive new to hold its value well, consider a Camry as well. The Standard edition is a pretty good buy; it stickers at only $19,565 with an auto trans, and an LE is still less than an Accord LX. It would be worth your while to see how low the Toyota dealer will go, you can probably get a better price than the Accord.
You're probably right. I'll try and talk my mom into looking at the Camry again, but she seems sold on the old Honda dealer shtick that you can "Weld the hood shut and put 56 billion miles on them and they'll beg for more".  <_<  Thanks for the input. I'll keep you guys updated on the situation, since I'd like everyone's advice on what exactly is a "good deal".  :)  
--Mark

crv16

QuoteYou can sell later for a significantly less hit if you buy slightly used.
Slightly used Accords are priced so outrageously that you might as well buy new. You'll see like two-year-old ones with 40K on them for $16,000. It's something to consider for other cars though. Thanks for the input.
Absolutely.  Used Accords, especially those sold by dealers, sell for stupidly high money.

You might want to wait a month or so -- I bet Honda will sweeten the incentive pot.

Anyway - 18,200 is a really good deal for an Accord LX, automatic I assume.

I did the same thing 2 years ago when I bought my Civic.  I bought a 03 Civic in Sept, just as the refreshed 04 appeared.  I got mine for $500 under invoice, plus 1.9% financing.

The low rate financing is worth thousands.
09 Honda Accord EX-L V6
09 Subaru Forester X Premium 5 speed

Speed_Racer

I'm gonna suggest looking at certified pre-owned. The car has already taken most of its depreciation hit, but you can still get it with a decent warranty.

I think Hondas come with a 7 year/100,000 mile warranty. I think that's even longer than when you buy the car new!

Good luck though!

CaseyNPham

My dad bought an 02 LX on clearance for 17 something so I say to take that offer!
Quoteand then caseyNpham got a 17 incher up his 'umbrella stand' and then he screamed like a little

Raza

18.2?  That's a good deal, definitely.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

giant_mtb

R33 GT-R

Dubbed:  Skanky Whore!