2003 Durango reviews?

Started by Rupert, July 04, 2008, 12:01:05 AM

Rupert

I've got a 2003 Durango assigned to me for my job, which involves a lot of forest road driving. I've used it for six days on forest roads, and my impressions aren't all that great. It behaves pretty well in terms of handling on those roads, but the clearance is pretty pathetic, and I get the impression that it's gonna fall apart before the end of the job. It hasn't really been put to the test as far as real off road performance goes. Anyone know of some good reviews I could check out?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

rohan

http://www.edmunds.com/dodge/durango/2003/review.html

We've got one kicking around the sheriff dept. that's a 02 with the 5.9.  They had it converted to 3.92 gears last summer on the advice of one of our mechanics to keep the new tranny from getting torn up- seems pretty powerful they use if for marine patrol hauling the boats and in the winter when the other 3 SUV's are all out on general patrol.  I've driven it a couple times- did ok for us but we only did a little deep snow driving.
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

the Teuton

I drive a similar vintage Dakota V6 stick at work.  The thing feels like it's going to fall apart, but it's fun to beat on.  Really fun.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Tave

I'll second you on the clearance issue, although that's an easy fix, and I've otherwise had a great time throwing my parents' Durango around the local mountain roads.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Rupert

That review is about what I've experienced, but it doesn't mention off road abilities. Must be 'cause it ain't got 'em. :lol:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Rupert

Quote from: Tave on July 06, 2008, 07:15:22 PM
I'll second you on the clearance issue, although that's an easy fix, and I've otherwise had a great time throwing my parents' Durango around the local mountain roads.

Can't go liftin' the gub'ment's rigs...

TBR

We had a '98 for 8 years and about 120,000 miles. One of the most reliable cars my parents have ever owned, it might feel and sound like it is going to fall apart, but it won't. Of course they get crappy gas mileage (though yours is probably a 4.7l rather than the antiquated 5.2l we had) and don't have much ground clearance, but it was a pretty competitive SUV for its day (in '98 anyway, it was a little long in tooth by '03).

Rupert

I guess I'll just have to be careful with rocks in the road... :(

CALL_911

Quote from: Psilos on July 06, 2008, 09:57:08 PM
I guess I'll just have to be careful with rocks in the road... :(

Nahhhhh, it's not your car. Have some fun with it! :rockon:

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Tave

Quote from: Psilos on July 06, 2008, 08:36:34 PM
Can't go liftin' the gub'ment's rigs...

Well, I wouldn't rate it quite as harshly as you.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Rupert

I must just be used to my 2WD Ranger, which has more clearance than the big bad 4x4 Durango. :lol:

Though, the stump I didn't run over today might have something to say about that...