Tire pressure

Started by Vinsanity, July 09, 2008, 11:57:40 AM

Vinsanity

Has anyone experimented with raising air pressure in their tires for better mpg? I tried raising the psi from 30 to 36 over the weekend, but I noticed I was using the brakes more due to the preservation of momentum and getting a rougher ride before I noticed an increase in mpg. So I lowered the pressure back to 30 psi, per specs on the door jamb.

Has anyone noticed a worthwhile improvement in mpg from raising the tire pressures?

Byteme

Quote from: Vinsanity on July 09, 2008, 11:57:40 AM
Has anyone experimented with raising air pressure in their tires for better mpg? I tried raising the psi from 30 to 36 over the weekend, but I noticed I was using the brakes more due to the preservation of momentum and getting a rougher ride before I noticed an increase in mpg. So I lowered the pressure back to 30 psi, per specs on the door jamb.

Has anyone noticed a worthwhile improvement in mpg from raising the tire pressures?

All else being equal raising tire pressure will reduce fuel consumption because you are reducing rolling resistance, which is why you experienced "preservation of momentum'.

Your trade off is ride and handling and tirewear on the center of the tread.  Diminishing returns also applies here.  if increasing tire pressure 5 pounds gave you a 1 MPG increase in mileage adding another 5 pounds won't give you an additional 1 MPG increase.

Years ago CandD did or reported on a test in which a guy replaced the wheels and tires with 4 60 PSI temporary spares.  IIRC it had a significant impact on mileage, at the expense of road handling and safety of course. 

Laconian

Did they determine what percentage one could overfill the tires without severely impacting R&H? Or--let me guess--it depends on the car and the tire. :P
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

The Pirate

Quote from: Laconian on July 09, 2008, 12:23:30 PM
Did they determine what percentage one could overfill the tires without severely impacting R&H? Or--let me guess--it depends on the car and the tire. :P

I think it does depend.  I've been running my tires at 35 psi (manual calls for 29 psi) for the last 10K miles.  Ride is a bit stiffer, but not harsh, and I've yet to see any abnormal tire wear.  Handling (and turn in) is definitely better, and I think the car's fuel consumption is a bit less.  I've no way to prove this though.  Fuel economy aside, the improvement in handling response is worth the penalty of a stiff ride alone (and this car didn't ride like a Caddy to begin with).
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Vinsanity

Funny thing is that the owner's manual says that overinflating the tires may cause the car to have "unusual handling". if by unusual, they mean the steering responds quicker, then correct. I did like the new lively feel of the steering and suspension, and call me spoiled, but I just couldn't get used to the more jittery highway ride.

GoCougs

The recommended PSI (on the door jamb) I have to believe is more than arbitrary; there is likely significant engineering behind it. One significant component of proper PSI is contact patch, which is in itself almost entirely due to vehicle weight. Further, I would not be surprised to discover that anything beyond recommended PSI is where improvements in MPG are tiny to nil.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Laconian on July 09, 2008, 12:23:30 PM

The maximum pressure for the tire is listed on the sidewall of the tire. The manufacturer's recommended pressure is listed on the doorjamb.

Anywhere betwen the two is OK for experimentation.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Cookie Monster

So do you get better handling with an over inflated tire because of the stiffer sidewalls, or an under inflated tire because of the bigger contact patches?
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Soup DeVille

Quote from: thecarnut on July 09, 2008, 03:43:25 PM
So do you get better handling with an over inflated tire because of the stiffer sidewalls, or an under inflated tire because of the bigger contact patches?

I don't think there's one simple answer. Generally, I've found that most cars handle better when they're overinflated by about 5-6 pounds on each tire, but YMMV.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

JYODER240

Quote from: Vinsanity on July 09, 2008, 12:40:02 PM
Funny thing is that the owner's manual says that overinflating the tires may cause the car to have "unusual handling". if by unusual, they mean the steering responds quicker, then correct. I did like the new lively feel of the steering and suspension, and call me spoiled, but I just couldn't get used to the more jittery highway ride.

You're beginning to sound like Trep.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Cookie Monster

Quote from: JYODER240 on July 09, 2008, 09:59:10 PM
He became like Trep when he sold the S2000 for the TL.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

AutobahnSHO

Plus keep in mind any 'increased preservation of momentum' also means you have less braking surface.

Because it's not how well the brakes grip the wheels, but how well the wheels grip the road.. (most of the time..)
Will

NomisR

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 09, 2008, 03:46:49 PM
I don't think there's one simple answer. Generally, I've found that most cars handle better when they're overinflated by about 5-6 pounds on each tire, but YMMV.

Yeah, it depends on the car.  My RSX seems to handle better at higher pressure while the Elise gets better lap times with lower tire pressure than the door states. 

But one thing though.  Optimal tire pressure is usually measured at cold tire pressure.  So what about when the tires are warmed up since the pressure is higher? 

Vinsanity

Quote from: JYODER240 on July 09, 2008, 09:59:10 PM

Quote from: thecarnut on July 09, 2008, 10:00:39 PM
He became like Trep when he sold the S2000 for the TL.

:evildude: :evildude:
to both of you

;)

S204STi

It's best not to just jack up your tire pressures and hope for the best.  I recall reading something on how to set tire pressures for track work to create the best compromise. It involved rubbing chalk or something like it (maybe temporary paint) on the shoulder blocks overlapping both the tread and sidewalls.  Drive around the track and see how much was rubbed off.  If the sidewalls saw significant rubbing, try a higher pressure and recheck.

Perhaps a more intelligent idea is to use an infrared thermometer to check temps across the tire after a run.  This would be more practical for the daily driver, because he/she could simply check it after their normal commute and see which parts were hottest.

Personally I just observe tire wear over time.  Over the course of just one oil change your tires will have formed definite wear patterns.  Using this method I have found an ideal tire pressure of 38psi front, 33psi rear, roughly 6 and 4 psi higher than spec respectively, though I could probably run the rears a bit lower to be honest.  With these pressures i have little shoulder feathering (some is to be expected due to the effects of caster on camber during a turn) and fairly flat tread wear patterns on the whole.

S204STi

Quote from: NomisR on July 10, 2008, 09:56:36 AM
Yeah, it depends on the car.  My RSX seems to handle better at higher pressure while the Elise gets better lap times with lower tire pressure than the door states. 

But one thing though.  Optimal tire pressure is usually measured at cold tire pressure.  So what about when the tires are warmed up since the pressure is higher? 

I forget but there is somewhere a nice little guide which says maybe 4psi per every "X" degrees of temp change.

I think it was a Michelin spec, but is should apply universally.