Automated Tire Tread Tickets!!!!1!!111!!!!!!??????

Started by Eye of the Tiger, July 12, 2008, 04:11:53 PM

Eye of the Tiger

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/24/2463.asp

New Camera Issues Tire Tread Tickets
Tire tread measuring system promises to mail tickets to motorists for tire tread that is a fraction of an inch too short.

Now that speed cameras use is established in Europe and parts of the US, the concept of automated ticketing is beginning to expand far beyond moving violations. Already, automated ticketing machines are deployed in the US to hit vehicles that overstay in a parking spot by a minute or that have excessive tailpipe emissions. The newest addition to this growing list is camera that scans the tires of passing cars and mails tickets if the depth of the tire tread is deficient by a fraction of an inch. Although not currently deployed, the German company ProContour hopes to sell this system to state and local governments looking for a way out of tight budget situations with a positive, pro-safety message.

"Car tires are technically, the number one cause of car accidents in Germany," ProContour states on its website. "An average of four car accidents occur daily with personal injuries as the result of smooth or defective tires."

The company claims its combination of a laser and high-speed camera is capable of taking measurements at 430 million points on a tire each second. As the tire moves, the distance between the camera and the object changes allowing the system to create a three-dimensional profile of the tire. The software can then calculate not just the depth of the tread, but also whether the tire itself was designed for summer or winter use. The manufacturer has tested measurement accuracy at speeds of up to 75 MPH, but it believes the technology should work at even higher speeds.

European Union regulations authorize the imposition of a 100 Euro (US $160) ticket whenever the tread depth of one of a vehicle's four tires measures less than 1.6mm (0.06 inches). In Germany, drivers can also be ticketed for using tires that are "unsuitable." This means using a summer tire during the winter season carries a stiff fine -- ProContour hopes that fine will be automated.

Depending on its construction, a balding tire with low tread depth can actually have more grip in dry conditions and is not a safety hazard. That can change if it rains, however. The primary purpose of tire tread is to channel water away from the tire so that it maintains contact with the road. The combination of high water and low tread depth can lead to aquaplaning and loss of vehicle control.

ProContour's system can be used in both fixed and mobile locations and is available in an easy-to-hide configuration.

:banghead:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Soup DeVille

Yeah, I seriously doubt that system could be at all reliable.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Cookie Monster

:rage:

How can it calculate exactly how much tread all 4 of your tires have as you zoom by it? Especially if there are many cars on the road?

And how does it know where you live?
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

MX793

Quote"Tire tread measuring system promises to mail tickets to motorists for tire tread that is a fraction of an inch too short"

Who the hell writes this stuff?  I don't know of many passenger tires which have a tread depth of more than 12/32 of an inch to begin with.  Even deep-treaded tractor trailer drive tires don't usually exceed an inch of tread depth.  Seeing as that is a fraction of an inch to begin with, tread that is too short would have to be a fraction of an inch by default.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

MX793

Quote from: thecarnut on July 12, 2008, 04:29:50 PM
:rage:

And how does it know where you live?

Um, license plate number kind of tells who owns the vehicle and where they live?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Soup DeVille

Why are all tire tread measurements listed in 32nds anyways? They all say things like 12/32 or 10/32. Umm, what happened to 3/8ths and 5/16ths?

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

MX793

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 12, 2008, 04:40:57 PM
Why are all tire tread measurements listed in 32nds anyways? They all say things like 12/32 or 10/32. Umm, what happened to 3/8ths and 5/16ths?

Because it would confuse people looking at tires if one tire said they had 5/16s of tread and another said 11/32s and a third said 3/8s.  The less math-savvy would have to do some head scratching to figure out which had more tread.  Americans aren't known for their math skills to boot.  Put all of the fractions with the same denominator and then folks know that the one with the bigger number on top has the most tread.  No need to convert fractions.

The better question would be why tire sizes list the section width in millimeters, but the rim diameter is in given in inches.
Needs more Jiggawatts

Soup DeVille

Eye of the Tiger

Hay thar, I got sum new DOT-legal tires. Gimme a tikit plz!

280Z Turbo

Quote from: NACar on July 12, 2008, 08:04:33 PM
Hay thar, I got sum new DOT-legal tires. Gimme a tikit plz!

Those are not intended for highway use.

Soup DeVille

280Z Turbo

Is this really necessary? If you want more taxes, just take more from income/property taxes.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on July 12, 2008, 08:36:52 PM
Is this really necessary? If you want more taxes, just take more from income/property taxes.

I think we should be taxed on how many revolutions our crankshafts make.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: NACar on July 12, 2008, 08:40:21 PM
I think we should be taxed on how many revolutions our crankshafts make.

I'm buying an RX8 then.

GoCougs

I would really not want to subsidize people driving on bad tires.

If this works well, I'd be all for it.

rohan

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 12, 2008, 08:30:18 PM
No, but they are DOT-approved.
The tire has to have a minumum of 2/32's of tread for it to be legal.  Whether or not the DOT approves it is besides the point- gotta have the proper amount of tread to be streetable.

:confused:

Seriously- if they're doing this for safety purposes then fine but otherwise it's pretty stupid.  I can't believe a company would say they're hoping to sell it to governments who want to make money- that just means it;s only a revenue generator and not a safety issue.  If that's the case- it shouldn't be allwoed.
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

Eye of the Tiger

r0tor

Quote from: NACar on July 13, 2008, 08:33:14 AM
:nutty: I'm getting a TDI.

an RX8 has an eccentric shaft... not a crankshaft... so i'm crankshaft tax free  :lol:
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

ChrisV

Quote from: rohan on July 13, 2008, 06:21:46 AM
The tire has to have a minumum of 2/32's of tread for it to be legal.  Whether or not the DOT approves it is besides the point- gotta have the proper amount of tread to be streetable.

Then those are streetable, because they have the recommended depth of tread, in the legally required tread grooves. I drove quite a bit on tires very similar to those (made by Yokahama) and they worked better in the rain than my all season tires with a lot of "regular" tread. Why? because rubber compound is as or more important for grip, even in the rain. Soft rubber wears out faster, but it warms up and sticks and acts like a squeegee in the wet, whereas harder rubber tends to slide around on wet surfaces, even if there's good siping to evacuate the water.

QuoteI can't believe a company would say they're hoping to sell it to governments who want to make money- that just means it;s only a revenue generator and not a safety issue.  If that's the case- it shouldn't be allwoed.

Agreed.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Danish

Quote from: NACar on July 12, 2008, 04:11:53 PM
Already, automated ticketing machines are deployed in the US to hit vehicles that overstay in a parking spot by a minute or that have excessive tailpipe emissions.

How the hell would they know this?!
Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

NomisR

Quote from: ChrisV on July 14, 2008, 07:56:18 AM
Then those are streetable, because they have the recommended depth of tread, in the legally required tread grooves. I drove quite a bit on tires very similar to those (made by Yokahama) and they worked better in the rain than my all season tires with a lot of "regular" tread. Why? because rubber compound is as or more important for grip, even in the rain. Soft rubber wears out faster, but it warms up and sticks and acts like a squeegee in the wet, whereas harder rubber tends to slide around on wet surfaces, even if there's good siping to evacuate the water.

But wouldn't it be more difficult to warm up those tires more sufficiently to receive anywhere close to optimal performance on the streets?

ChrisV

Quote from: NomisR on July 14, 2008, 10:51:55 AM
But wouldn't it be more difficult to warm up those tires more sufficiently to receive anywhere close to optimal performance on the streets?

That's the point. With soft rubber compound, they heat up faster. In fact, the A008RSiis and Hoosier Autocrossers HAVE to heat up very rapidly and at relatively low speeds. they dont' have 5 laps to get up to temperature. But even DOT road race tires stick better by far at road speed than the average performance street tire or all season tire. It's why they don't last for 20-30-50k miles.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Champ

I have this feeling that the people they are targeting who actually have "bad tires" probably don't have the money to pay for the ticket then replace the tires right after.

rohan

Quote from: Danish on July 14, 2008, 07:58:10 AM
How the hell would they know this?!
The same kind of gas detectors that NASA and the military use to tell if something has specific gases or not.  Man- if I know the answer to a question like that then EVERYONE should know it! :lol:
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: r0tor on July 14, 2008, 06:58:22 AM
an RX8 has an eccentric shaft... not a crankshaft... so i'm crankshaft tax free  :lol:

I obviously didn't catch that one. Damn loopholes. Who writes these stupid laws? :rolleyes:

r0tor

Quote from: NACar on July 14, 2008, 04:38:01 PM
I obviously didn't catch that one. Damn loopholes. Who writes these stupid laws? :rolleyes:

a clueless politician governing over something he doesnt have expertise in of course!
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

NomisR

Quote from: r0tor on July 14, 2008, 04:59:42 PM
a clueless politician governing over something he doesnt have expertise in of course!

Isn't that all of them?

Rupert

That's pretty cool technology. Bald tires are a safety hazard, so I would support this kind of thing over automated parking or speeding tickets, but automated tickets are pretty stupid anyhow.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Soup DeVille

Quote from: rohan on July 13, 2008, 06:21:46 AM

Umm, the DOT won't approve the tire unless it has 1/8th inch of tread when its new. That's "4/32nds" in "stupid tire terminology speak."

I could run a beadlock off-road tire with over an inch of tread on it, but still be technically illegal because beadlocks are not DOT approved.

hotrodalex

Sooner or later we won't have traffic cops, just stupid cameras every 2 feet.

:banghead: :rage: :heated: