2010 Camaro Revealed

Started by CJ, July 18, 2008, 02:10:21 PM

CJ

CarTribe has procured a few shots and the initial details of the production Chevrolet Camaro ahead of its official unveiling this Monday. According to their report, the Camaro will come in LS, LT and SS trim, equipped with either a six-speed manual gearbox or a six-speed automatic. Of course, that doesn't account for the very-obviously-marked RS car that is shown in the official photos, so who knows what the whole story is.

Engine choices include either a 296 hp, 3.6-liter V6 or a 416 hp 6.2-liter V8 which will feature cylinder deactivation to boost fuel economy. Underneath the retro sheetmetal is a full independent suspension and StabiliTrak traction control system. Four-pot Brembo brakes are mounted up front on the SS variant, and the 3,700-pound coupe will reportedly have a weight balance of 52/48, front/rear. The neuvo-retro theme is carried inside with a gauge cluster inspired by the 1969 model, along with leather seats and blue LED lighting.

We'll have more specs and images as information becomes available.

Pics:

]

Looks exactly like the concept.  Cool.

Onslaught

I still throw up in my mouth when I see shots of the interior.

chevyguy06

'05 Ford Escape XLT V6

CJ

3,700 lbs?!  That's a fucking lot.

280Z Turbo

Okay...that is kinda cool.

Retro interiors are not cool. When will they learn? At least it's not as horrible as the Mustang.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: CJ on July 18, 2008, 02:17:32 PM
3,700 lbs?!  That's a fucking lot.

Get over it. With all the new safety regulations and gadgets being required on cars, it's just a matter of time before the Mini tips the scales at over two tons.

the Teuton

It's heavy, but the quality of the interior is starting to win me over.  I think it needs to have a turbo Ecotec as a base engine, though.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

280Z Turbo

Quote from: the Teuton on July 18, 2008, 02:23:02 PM
It's heavy, but the quality of the interior is starting to win me over.  I think it needs to have a turbo Ecotec as a base engine, though.

3700 lbs

the Teuton

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on July 18, 2008, 02:25:06 PM
3700 lbs

Yeah, which is way too much.  When a car that small weighs that much, everything else better be perfect with the car.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

FlatBlackCaddy

She's a big girl, not very pretty either. Then again i don't think anything could look more confused as the previous gen cars so this is certainly doing better compared to them.

280Z Turbo

The next Z will be around 3000 lbs, from what I hear.

Maybe it will be able to kick the Camaro's ass again.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on July 18, 2008, 02:39:02 PM
The next Z will be around 3000 lbs, from what I hear.

Maybe it will be able to kick the Camaro's ass again.

Thankfully nissan realized that the next Z should focus on a base 911. I remember a press release stating that lower weight, better power and above all balance and driver engagement would be more "porsche like".

I hope they hit the mark, if so i may be interested in that Z otherwise i'm more likely to end up in a used 996 Carrera. While not a turbo powerhouse the 2900lb curb weight and 300HP flat 6 is enough for me.

Onslaught

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on July 18, 2008, 02:18:46 PM
Okay...that is kinda cool.

Retro interiors are not cool. When will they learn? At least it's not as horrible as the Mustang.
Can't agree with you one this one. I'm not Mustang fan at all. But I think it's interior is better looking than this.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on July 18, 2008, 02:53:55 PM
Thankfully nissan realized that the next Z should focus on a base 911. I remember a press release stating that lower weight, better power and above all balance and driver engagement would be more "porsche like".

I hope they hit the mark, if so i may be interested in that Z otherwise i'm more likely to end up in a used 996 Carrera. While not a turbo powerhouse the 2900lb curb weight and 300HP flat 6 is enough for me.

The original Z took aim at the 911, so it sounds like they're headed in the right direction.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Onslaught on July 18, 2008, 03:10:26 PM
Can't agree with you one this one. I'm not Mustang fan at all. But I think it's interior is better looking than this.

Honestly?

Onslaught

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on July 18, 2008, 03:12:14 PM
Honestly?

The Mustang's interior is just ok at best. But it's not offensive and it won't hurt my eyes. This thing is Fido the dogs ass ugly on the inside.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on July 18, 2008, 03:10:27 PM
The original Z took aim at the 911, so it sounds like they're headed in the right direction.

Yup, a true return to the 240. Hopefully history repeats itself.

I hope they clean up the 350 styling a bit.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Onslaught on July 18, 2008, 03:20:30 PM
The Mustang's interior is just ok at best. But it's not offensive and it won't hurt my eyes. This thing is Fido the dogs ass ugly on the inside.

LMAO

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Onslaught on July 18, 2008, 03:20:30 PM

The Mustang's interior looks square, boring, and cheap as shit. It sucks the life out of you just to look at it. I would need a hefty dose of Paxil just to drive one.

The Camaro's interior just has some silly retro gauges and a goofy steering wheel, but it's still 10x better.

Vinsanity

I wouldn't mind the interior if those 4 little secondary gauges were up above the center air vents instead of down by the shifter. There's no point in putting gauges in a place where it would be inconvenient to read them.

I do think it's cool that one such gauge measures engine torque :tounge:

giant_mtb

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Vinsanity on July 18, 2008, 03:46:30 PM
I wouldn't mind the interior if those 4 little secondary gauges were up above the center air vents instead of down by the shifter. There's no point in putting gauges in a place where it would be inconvenient to read them.

I do think it's cool that one such gauge measures engine torque :tounge:

To be fair, none of those gauges are the kind where you have to check on them constantly.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Vinsanity

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 18, 2008, 03:54:39 PM
To be fair, none of those gauges are the kind where you have to check on them constantly.

True; I just think it's a funny place to place gauges. I think they'd look better placed along that metallic strip above the center air vents.

MX793

I kinda figured it would weigh in about the same as the GTO.  It is built on a full-sized RWD sedan platform, after all.  Cutting out material between the wheels to make a smaller car doesn't remove all that much weight (as seen most recently with the portly Dodge Challenger).

If I were to change one thing, it would be the engine options.  Base should be the non-DI version of the 3.6L DOHC with around 270 hp.  Mid level (perhaps RS) should be the 315-ish hp 5.3L V8 with the SS getting the bigger V8.  Shouldn't have to pony up big bucks to get a V8 in a Camaro.

Rumor has it that the supercharged small block from the Caddy CTS-V will show up in an upcoming Z28 trim.  Interesting that the Z28 will become the top-dog trim this go-around, as it was the middle child last time.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Submariner

Exterior looks great, and the interior looks good too.  However, in typical GM fashion, it will be laden with cheap as can be plastics.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Onslaught

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on July 18, 2008, 03:30:50 PM
The Mustang's interior looks square, boring, and cheap as shit. It sucks the life out of you just to look at it. I would need a hefty dose of Paxil just to drive one.

The Camaro's interior just has some silly retro gauges and a goofy steering wheel, but it's still 10x better.
The steering wheel looks horrible. The A/C controls are ugly and don't look right. The shift knob is huge and looks like something a woman would pleaser herself with. The retro gauges look dumb and I don't like the ones down low.
Is that chrome thing on the door the handle? If so it looks like it's too far forward to be comfortable. Or in the pictures anyway.

In short, I don't like it and I figure that it will be made out of cheap shit on the inside too.  I'm not a Ford fan or a Mustang one. I always pick a Camaro over a Mustang. But this time I think they failed on some parts of this one.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Vinsanity on July 18, 2008, 04:01:57 PM
True; I just think it's a funny place to place gauges. I think they'd look better placed along that metallic strip above the center air vents.

Just another "retro" touch, that's all (plus the novelty "torque" gauge).

They could have just as easily left those gauges off entirely, and they're probably optional anyways.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

68_427

For anyone complaining about the weight of this car, it weighs less than 100 lbs more then an M3, and about 500 lbs less than the Challenger
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Soup DeVille

And for anybody complaining about the interior, I suggest they check out the interior from any previous Camaro.

These cars, they've never really been about dashboard stroking.

Onslaught

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 18, 2008, 05:03:48 PM
And for anybody complaining about the interior, I suggest they check out the interior from any previous Camaro.

These cars, they've never really been about dashboard stroking.
I know. Most of them have been ugly. But with Chevy FINALLY getting the interior in a Corvette looking good I had hoped they would have done the same for this thing. It's not like it's a cheap car or something.
I can't say much because my cars interior is cheap. But it isn't ugly as hell either.