2010 Camaro Revealed

Started by CJ, July 18, 2008, 02:10:21 PM

omicron

Quote from: ChrisV on July 22, 2008, 07:36:13 AM
This is the one problem with the Internet. It's almost always taken this long to get cars to market. But before the advent of internet scoop sites and forums, the general public really didn't get to know about the upcoming cars until they arrived. Now, in the age of instant information and instant gratification, car enthusiasts know about this stuff almost before the designers create them, and get way too impatient waiting for them to go through the normal development process.

Brands in the North American market seem to present their cars much, much earlier as concepts or future models than brands here, even if we're getting a certain model earlier than its NA release.

ChrisV

Quote from: omicron on July 22, 2008, 08:29:33 AM
Brands in the North American market seem to present their cars much, much earlier as concepts or future models than brands here, even if we're getting a certain model earlier than its NA release.

That's because we invented the concept of concept cars...

http://www.carofthecentury.com/harley_earl_led_the_way_in_detroit_styling_&_engineering.htm

Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

ChrisV

Quote from: Tave on July 22, 2008, 07:59:49 AM
WHATEVER his opinion about the movie, GM shouldn't have jumped the gun by product placing a product THAT DIDN'T EXIST. Hell, nick thought it was already on the streets.

Why not? it provides a place where teh general public can see it 9the general public that doesn' tgo to car shows or subscribe to car magazines). great way to extend the concept of concept cars and judge the general public's reaction to a possible design. No one ever said it was a production car in the movie any more than the Mach 5 was. ;)
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Tave

Quote from: ChrisV on July 22, 2008, 10:09:50 AM
Why not?

Because there is less excitement over the actual product if we've been seeing it in advertisements for years before it is released.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

omicron

Quote from: ChrisV on July 22, 2008, 10:06:19 AM
That's because we invented the concept of concept cars...

http://www.carofthecentury.com/harley_earl_led_the_way_in_detroit_styling_&_engineering.htm

Oh, certainly, but I am still intrigued by how early regular production models are shown before they go on-sale. It's just not heard of here for a manufacturer to display their MY2010 cars in 2008.
The most notable exception is probably the Monaro - the original concept was presented at the Sydney Motor Show in October, 1998, and the production model came out in mid-2001. Still, not a single official photo was released until the actual launch date, and if I remember rightly no magazine managed to get any decent scoop on pre-production models.

Tave

I think it's pretty obvious that a lot of the American "scoops" are done with the implicit approval of the automotive companies. Half of them are accompanied by quoted statements from executives involved with the projects.

Maybe the Aussies just know when to keep their mouths shut.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

omicron

Quote from: Tave on July 22, 2008, 10:43:09 AM
I think it's pretty obvious that a lot of the American "scoops" are done with the implicit approval of the automotive companies. Half of them are accompanied by quoted statements from executives involved with the projects.

Maybe the Aussies just know when to keep their mouths shut.

The FG FPV 'found in a bin wink-nudge' scoop came only three or four months before that launch, too.

An Australian know when to shut up? You must surely jest, dear Mr. Tave.

Tave

GoCougs

The majority of people who opt for it won't be enthusiasts, and probably had no clue that it was in the movie, let alone be aware that it has been the subject of Internet conjecture for three years before its release.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on July 21, 2008, 09:07:07 PM
The dead heat was between the 5.0L 5sp IROC and Mustang GT; the 5.7L AT IROC was always a bit faster (albeit slim); and although the IROC generally did cost more, it never cost twice as much - at least in the US.
Really?  I was exagerating about the price, but it did cost 50% more.  As for the performance, take a look at this data from a comparo from 1987 from Road & Track:

GENERAL DATA

Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z L98               Ford Mustang GT

Price as tested      $18,179                                   $12,548
Curb weight, lb      3490                                      3270
Test weight          3720                                      3500
Weight dist., f/r, % 58/42                                     57/43
Wheelbase, in.       101.0                                     100.5
Track, f/r           60.7/60.6                                 56.6/57.0
Length               192.0                                     179.3
Width                72.8                                      69.1
Height               50.3                                      52.1
Head room, f/r       36.5/33.5                                 38.0/32.5
Leg room, f/r        43.0/21.5                                 43.5/23.0
Engine type          ohv V-8                                   ohv V-8
Bore x stroke, mm    101.6 x 88.4                              101.6 x 76.2
Displacement, cc     5733                                   4942
Compression ratio    9.0:1                                     9.0:1
Bhp @ rpm, SAE net   220 @ 4200                             225 @ 4400
Torque @ rpm, lb-ft  320 @ 3200                             300 @ 3000
Transmission         4-sp automatic                            5-sp manual
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
PERFORMANCE

Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z L98               Ford Mustang GT
Acceleration:
Time to dist., sec:
0-100 ft             3.2                                       3.2
0-500 ft             8.2                                       8.3
0-1320 ft (1/4 mi)   15.3                                      15.3
Speed at 1/4 mi, mph 90.5                                      93.0
Time to speed, sec:
0-30 mph             2.3                                       2.3
0-60 mph             6.8                                       6.7
0-80 mph             11.8                                      11.5
0-100 mph            18.4                                      18.8
Top speed, mph       149                                       148

QuoteSLP SSs were only icing in the equation.
Like I said, SLP is the equivalent of Saleen.

QuoteFWIW the best I ever saw was 13.0 s; but even so comparing the GT500 lacks a bit of validity anywho - the SS is a competitor to the GT, not the GT500.
Actually it was the Cobra competitor.  The Z28 was the GT competitor.  BTW, you haven't looked hard enough because every test I've seen since those initial tests put it in the 12.6-12.8 range with MM&FF getting it down to 12.25.

FlatBlackCaddy

Fords suck, i'll be drivin maro's til i die.

MX793

Quote from: ChrisV on July 22, 2008, 10:09:50 AM
Why not? it provides a place where teh general public can see it 9the general public that doesn' tgo to car shows or subscribe to car magazines). great way to extend the concept of concept cars and judge the general public's reaction to a possible design. No one ever said it was a production car in the movie any more than the Mach 5 was. ;)

Actually, GM did announce that it was (or was going to be) a production car.  They officially announced their intention to build the new Camaro back in 2006.  They even put out ads saying "See the upcoming, all-new Chevy Camaro in Transformers The Movie!". 
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

GoCougs

Quote from: HEMI666 on July 22, 2008, 12:26:38 PM
Really?  I was exagerating about the price, but it did cost 50% more.  As for the performance, take a look at this data from a comparo from 1987 from Road & Track:

LOL - notable to see that my Accord would walk on either of them...

'87 was one of the few years the cars had essentially identical power ratings, and hence equivalent performance. From '88 till '95, the Camaro pulled away in power and performance (including the intro of the 6sp MT on all V8s in '93) until in '96 and '97 both were available with 305 hp and 6sp MT, but then from '98 - '02 save for '99 the Camaro again was available with more power and 6sp MT.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on July 22, 2008, 04:40:28 PM
My SVTF will be a little behind in the straight, but it would run away from both as soon as the road starts to bend.

Raza

Quote from: ChrisV on July 22, 2008, 07:56:46 AM
Hyperbole like this makes you're argument weaker. 

not to a kid like you, no. but to an actual adult, yes, it is. In the grand sceme of the automobile, it's a very recent blip on the radar.

And again, with the rise of scoop sites, that's not possible for anyone.

Why not? it was a great opportunity. And I OWN that movie. I like it. It wasn't supposed to be "War and Peace." It wasn't supposed to be anything other than escapist entertainment. And it was based on a children's advertisement for cheesy toys. But you think it was supposed to be deep and spiritual? Give me a fucking break.

Didn't realize I was having an argument.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: GoCougs on July 22, 2008, 04:40:28 PM

'87 was one of the few years the cars had essentially identical power ratings, and hence equivalent performance. From '88 till '95, the Camaro pulled away in power and performance (including the intro of the 6sp MT on all V8s in '93) until in '96 and '97 both were available with 305 hp and 6sp MT, but then from '98 - '02 save for '99 the Camaro again was available with more power and 6sp MT.

The 305hp rating in the Z28 didn't come until '98 (LS1). The '94-'95 (LT1) had 275hp and the '96-'97 had 285hp. The SS had the 305hp rating in the earlier years ('94-'97,LT1) and then got a bump to 320 (LS1) in '98.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Onslaught

Quote from: ChrisV on July 22, 2008, 07:56:46 AM

And it was based on a children's advertisement for cheesy toys. But you think it was supposed to be deep and spiritual? Give me a fucking break.

Hey you take that back you old angry fart! I still have/buy those things.

And the movie still stinks....

SVT666

General Motors has officially taken the wraps off the 2010 Chevrolet Camaro. Although images and specs leaked on the modern day muscle car last week, we now have the official figures straight from the horse?s mouth.

As expected, the Camaro will be available in LS, LT and SS guises. The LS and LT models will make do with a 3.6L V6 ? mated to either a six-speed automatic or manual transmission ? and will produce 300 horsepower and 273 lb-ft of torque. Despite having more power than the V6 versions of the Ford Mustang and Dodge Challenger, the V6-powered cars will return 26 mpg on the highway.

Both the LS and LT models will ride on GM?s FE2 suspension.

The top-level SS will be motivated by a 6.2L V8. When coupled with the six-speed automatic transmission, the SS will be good for 400 horsepower and 395 lb-ft of torque, while opting for the manual gearbox will net an additional 22 horsepower, for a grand total of 422 horsepower and 408 lb-ft of torque. The V8 powered car will return about 23 mpg on the highway.

Other SS goodies will include four-piston Brembo brakes, a sportier FE3 suspension and Competitive/Sport modes for the car?s StabiliTrak stability control system, including launch control for manual SS models.

Of note, Edmunds reports that the Camaro SS lapped Germany?s N?rburgring in 8 minutes 20 seconds. While not as blistering as the Corvette ZR1?s 7:26.4 second lap, it still puts the Camaro in some pretty decent company, such as the E46 BMW M3. However, the Camaro SS? little brother ? the 2008 Cobalt SS ? made its way around the N?rburgring in just 8:22.

An RS appearance package will be available on LT and SS models, and will include HID headlamps with an integrated halo ring feature, spoiler, specific tail lamps and 20-inch wheels.

With four-wheel independent and StabiliTrak stability control standard, the Camaro will tip the scales at about 3,700 pounds, but is said to have a near ideal 52/48 weight distribution.

Although the V6 models will do battle with low-end Mustangs and Challengers, a turbocharged four-cylinder is still not out of the question. The automaker hopes to sell as many as 100,000 units annually.

Overall, the body shape looks very similar to the Camaro Concept. GM has added a B-pillar to the Camaro?s body structure for added strength. Otherwise, the car is virtually unchanged from the concept, as GM has promised.

Availability

Circle Monday, February 16, 2009 on your calendar as the date the new 2010 Camaros will start heading down the production line at the Oshawa plant in Ontario.

In actuality, this means it will more than likely be mid-March before you?ll be able to put your hands on one at a dealership. That puts Camaro availability about a year behind that of its nearest rival, the Dodge Challenger.

A few GM higher-ups have stated that the General will start making Camaros in late 2008. That?s true, but, a little misleading. Salable, pilot-build, Camaros will be the cars rolling down the line in late 2008. This run of cars will be given to engineers, execs and managers.

For those seeking a convertible Camaro, you?ll have to wait until Monday, December 7, 2009 ? a little bit late for the 2009 convertible season in northern climates. Look for them to start showing up at dealers in late December or early January depending on where you are in the United States.

GM executives have publicly said Chevy expects to sell over 100,000 Camaros per year with pricing for the V6 model starting in the $20,000 range.

The Cobalt SS is just as fast.  I'll take the Cobalt which is better looking and achieves much better fuel economy.

CMan

And has an equally crappy interior, for less money.
Quote from: Morris Minor on September 26, 2008, 08:43:28 AM
I'm going to buy a tube radio so we can huddle round it and, by the light of a single candle, listen to President Obama's fireside chats.

Vinsanity

Surprising that the Cobalt is nearly as fast as the old M3 (maybe this just speaks to the tons of variables that make Ring times a less-than-ideal unit of measure), but I wouldn't go so far as to say the Cobalt is better looking. It's a great sport compact, sure, but looks-wise, it's just an econobox with monoblock rims and a wing.

I fail to see how the Camaro is any uglier than the Mustang or Challenger.

SVT666

Quote from: Vinsanity on July 23, 2008, 10:16:02 AM
Surprising that the Cobalt is nearly as fast as the old M3 (maybe this just speaks to the tons of variables that make Ring times a less-than-ideal unit of measure),
...or maybe the Cobalt is just that damn good.  Ever think of that?  Nope, I didn't think so.  I believe it was R&T that stated it's one of the best handling cars on the market...not just for FWD either, but all cars.

Quotebut I wouldn't go so far as to say the Cobalt is better looking. It's a great sport compact, sure, but looks-wise, it's just an econobox with monoblock rims and a wing.

I fail to see how the Camaro is any uglier than the Mustang or Challenger.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  The Camaro is ugly, the Mustang is hot, and the Challenger is smokin'.  The Camaro comes off as a Japanese Anime version of a real Camaro.

GoCougs

Cobalt SS over a Camaro SS? C'mon.

FWIW, other 8:20 - 8:25 company: Cayman S, 350Z, 335i, Lotus Exige S and Audi S5. Not too shabby considering the Camaro has historically been primarily a straight-line performer.

100,000 units a year sounds very optimistic. But oil is down $20/bbl the last two weeks, and looks destined to keep falling.

But there's no denying the game-changing nature if the 300hp version can be had in the low $20k and the 400+ version is below $30k. Never thought I'd say this about GM again, but I no longer think that it's utterly hopeless.

Vinsanity

Quote from: HEMI666 on July 23, 2008, 10:42:24 AM
...or maybe the Cobalt is just that damn good.  Ever think of that?  Nope, I didn't think so.  I believe it was R&T that stated it's one of the best handling cars on the market...not just for FWD either, but all cars.

I have that issue; the one where it had the highest bang-for-the-buck ratio. To be honest, I just read that line as hyperbole.

QuoteThe Camaro comes off as a Japanese Anime version of a real Camaro.

That must be why I like it ^_^

The Challenger looks good, but it's a straight rip-off of the original. The Camaro, and to some extent, the Mustang, look like what the originals would have evolved into today if the 1970s oil crises never happened.

Byteme

Quote from: HEMI666 on July 23, 2008, 09:19:25 AM

Although the V6 models will do battle with low-end Mustangs and Challengers, a turbocharged four-cylinder is still not out of the question. The automaker hopes to sell as many as 100,000 units annually.

GM executives have publicly said Chevy expects to sell over 100,000 Camaros per year with pricing for the V6 model starting in the $20,000 range.

I wonder if the pony car market is large enough for that.  What with the Challenger and the Mustang.

I would expect fairly high initial demand becasue of those who just have to own a new Camaro.  Once that initial demand is fulfilled 100,000 sounds really optimistic, especially with high gasoline costs and a less than robust economy.

Gotta-Qik-C7

I'll have an even longer wait cuz I'm buying a drop top!  :rage:  :banghead:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

CMan

Quote from: GoCougs on July 23, 2008, 10:50:06 AM
But oil is down $20/bbl the last two weeks, and looks destined to keep falling.

Oil is down to $124 a barrel and now we're celebrating? :nutty:

Keep in mind when oil reached $125 a barrel in May, everybody thought it was the apocalypse. Fast forward two months and now it's great? :huh:
I'm going to buy a tube radio so we can huddle round it and, by the light of a single candle, listen to President Obama's fireside chats.

Schadenfreude

Quote from: HEMI666 on July 23, 2008, 09:19:25 AM
General Motors has officially taken the wraps off the 2010 Chevrolet Camaro. Although images and specs leaked on the modern day muscle car last week, we now have the official figures straight from the horse?s mouth.

As expected, the Camaro will be available in LS, LT and SS guises. The LS and LT models will make do with a 3.6L V6 ? mated to either a six-speed automatic or manual transmission ? and will produce 300 horsepower and 273 lb-ft of torque. Despite having more power than the V6 versions of the Ford Mustang and Dodge Challenger, the V6-powered cars will return 26 mpg on the highway.

Both the LS and LT models will ride on GM?s FE2 suspension.

The top-level SS will be motivated by a 6.2L V8. When coupled with the six-speed automatic transmission, the SS will be good for 400 horsepower and 395 lb-ft of torque, while opting for the manual gearbox will net an additional 22 horsepower, for a grand total of 422 horsepower and 408 lb-ft of torque. The V8 powered car will return about 23 mpg on the highway.

Other SS goodies will include four-piston Brembo brakes, a sportier FE3 suspension and Competitive/Sport modes for the car?s StabiliTrak stability control system, including launch control for manual SS models.

Of note, Edmunds reports that the Camaro SS lapped Germany?s N?rburgring in 8 minutes 20 seconds. While not as blistering as the Corvette ZR1?s 7:26.4 second lap, it still puts the Camaro in some pretty decent company, such as the E46 BMW M3. However, the Camaro SS? little brother ? the 2008 Cobalt SS ? made its way around the N?rburgring in just 8:22.

An RS appearance package will be available on LT and SS models, and will include HID headlamps with an integrated halo ring feature, spoiler, specific tail lamps and 20-inch wheels.

With four-wheel independent and StabiliTrak stability control standard, the Camaro will tip the scales at about 3,700 pounds, but is said to have a near ideal 52/48 weight distribution.

Overall, the body shape looks very similar to the Camaro Concept. GM has added a B-pillar to the Camaro?s body structure for added strength. Otherwise, the car is virtually unchanged from the concept, as GM has promised.

Availability

Circle Monday, February 16, 2009 on your calendar as the date the new 2010 Camaros will start heading down the production line at the Oshawa plant in Ontario.

In actuality, this means it will more than likely be mid-March before you?ll be able to put your hands on one at a dealership. That puts Camaro availability about a year behind that of its nearest rival, the Dodge Challenger.

A few GM higher-ups have stated that the General will start making Camaros in late 2008. That?s true, but, a little misleading. Salable, pilot-build, Camaros will be the cars rolling down the line in late 2008. This run of cars will be given to engineers, execs and managers.

For those seeking a convertible Camaro, you?ll have to wait until Monday, December 7, 2009 ? a little bit late for the 2009 convertible season in northern climates. Look for them to start showing up at dealers in late December or early January depending on where you are in the United States.

The Cobalt SS is just as fast.  I'll take the Cobalt which is better looking and achieves much better fuel economy.

Only one problem with that: I thought I read somewhere that GM was killing the Cobalt and replacing it with the Cruze?

Raza

Quote from: CMan on July 23, 2008, 09:12:45 PM
Oil is down to $124 a barrel and now we're celebrating? :nutty:

Keep in mind when oil reached $125 a barrel in May, everybody thought it was the apocalypse. Fast forward two months and now it's great? :huh:

Getting stabbed sucks, but compared to being shot in the face, it's kind of pleasant. 

But he's talking about seeing it as the beginning of a downward trend; the market correcting itself.

Donald Trump says the natural price for oil is $50 a barrel.  He thinks it will reach there soon.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

CMan

I hope Cougs and Trump are right...

The Pirate

It happens every time.  Remember when gas first hit $2?  Then remember when gas first spiked above $3 (think Hurricane Katrina)?  We all kvetched for a while but got sort of used to it.  Then, when the prices dropped below $3 (down to 2.95 or so), we were all ecstatic, and singing the praises of cheap gas. 

Well, now that threshold is $4/gallon.  Then it will be $5/gallon, $6/gallon, and so on...
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.