2010 Camaro Revealed

Started by CJ, July 18, 2008, 02:10:21 PM

GoCougs

Quote from: HEMI666 on July 21, 2008, 11:56:46 AM
No, you're right.  But with all the hype around the Camaro and the big power it will be putting down, and that it's the only true competitor for the Mustang, Ford will have to bump power in a big way.  BTW the GT500 only has 110 more horsepower then the Cobra did.

The Mustang was way down on power the last 10 years the two faced off against each other ('93 - '02), yet the Mustang easily won the sales contest. I think a modest bump (240 hp V6 and 330 hp V8) would suffice.

SJ_GTI

Saw this posted on another site:

Detailed Camaro Specs

Highlights

Camaro SS w/ 6MT and LS3 (ie: no AFM)
6.2L V8
422 HP
23 MPG (hwy)
L/W/H: 190.4/75.5/54.2
Weight: 3860 (52/48)

Camara LT w/ 6MT and V6
3.6L V6
300 HP
26 MPG (hwy)
L/W/H: 190.4/75.5/54.2
Weight: 3741 (52/48)

I think I am digging the idea of a Camaro LTV6 w/ manual transmission. I love the way it looks, personally. The exterior and interior both look great to me.

SJ_GTI

BTW it does seem heavy, but at the end of the day this car looks more like a bargain 6-series rather then a bargain 3-series.

650i 6MT Specs:
4.8L V8
360 HP
22 MPG (hwy)
L/W/H: 190.2/73.0/54.1
Weight: 3814 (53/47)

Very, very close. I'd imagine most folks here were hoping for a 3-series sized Camaro, but it is what it is.

FlatBlackCaddy

23MPG isn't bad but we all know this things will pull down 30-35 real world.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on July 21, 2008, 01:50:35 PM

I agree. At this point the "official" EPA figures seem to be for people who drive like morons. I don't hypermile (people that drive with me often comment on how I drive aggressively), but I routinely get 26-28 MPG in my GTI with about 90% city driving (ie: it takes me 40 minutes to drive 10 miles). On the highway I can easily get 33-34 MPG (by sticking to 65 MPH instead of going 80 MPH). I think the EPA lists the GTI at something like 22/29. My previous car I routinely averaged 25 MPG, and that should have gotten, according to EPA, something like 21/28.

So given my history I generally look at the highway figures and assume I can probably come close to that figure as my "average."

Vinsanity

Using the high-spec V6 might prove to be a good idea, assuming it's priced under the Mustang GT and Challenger R/T, but I really hope they tune the exhaust to sound alot more aggressive. As it stands, the 3.6 V6 sounds very unimpressive; imagine a continuous, ongoing "meh" sound coming from under the hood.

If I were in the market, I'd forego all the hype and get a 6.0L Pontiac G8.

hotrodalex

Quote from: Vinsanity on July 21, 2008, 02:25:36 PM
Using the high-spec V6 might prove to be a good idea, assuming it's priced under the Mustang GT and Challenger R/T, but I really hope they tune the exhaust to sound alot more aggressive. As it stands, the 3.6 V6 sounds very unimpressive; imagine a continuous, ongoing "meh" sound coming from under the hood.

If I were in the market, I'd forego all the hype and get a 6.0L Pontiac G8.

BMW can tune their 6 cyl engines to have a nice exhaust growl, I don't see why GM couldn't.

GoCougs

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on July 21, 2008, 01:50:35 PM

I'd expect about GTO/G8 - best mid 20s MT and low 20s AT.

3800 lbs and 400+ hp is going to suck gas. Still not bad.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: hotrodalex on July 21, 2008, 02:57:44 PM
BMW can tune their 6 cyl engines to have a nice exhaust growl, I don't see why GM couldn't.

BMW can do alot of things that chevy can't seem to do.

SVT32V

Quote from: GoCougs on July 21, 2008, 01:17:10 PM
The Mustang was way down on power the last 10 years the two faced off against each other ('93 - '02), yet the Mustang easily won the sales contest.

While the Mustang owned '82 through '92.

Of course the '03-'04 cobra kicked the camaro in the ass on its way out, the terminator cobras are/were undisputedly significantly faster than the last F-bodies. 

For the record, the cobra also jumped on paper by 70 hp from the previous model, while unofficially based on dyno numbers it was 100 hp.  The terminator cobras were definitely underated.  The Mach1 was at least even with an LS1.

As a sidenote, '96/'97 cobras were defintely faster out of the box than the LT1 F-bods, it took the addition of the LS1 in '98 before it was back on top.

The GT500 still owns the Challenger/Camaro as it stands and has quite bit more hp than either.

It is a little disingenous to say Ford has not been playing hard ball in this segment (only a bit of time in the 90s they were not hp competitive), especially in this environment when the Mustang is one of their better selling vehicles.  In perspective it sells more than the Nissan FM platform combined. This is not a market they want to give up or give competitors an advantage, even with their discount price advantage.

The camaro/challenger is good competition, and good for the Mustang, otherwise Ford would have no impetus to retire the 300 hp 3V 4.6 and release a higher hp engine.

MX793

Quote from: hotrodalex on July 21, 2008, 02:57:44 PM

Inline 6 vs V6.  Different sound by nature of layout.  That's not to say you can't make a V6 sound good, though it seems all of the best sounding examples I've ever heard are usually smaller displacement units like the 2.5L from the SVT Contour or the 2.4L Dino engine that Ferrari and Lancia used to use. 

And IIRC, GM's DOHC V6 has some sort of NVH issue that is inherent to its design.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

GoCougs

Quote from: SVT32V on July 21, 2008, 04:14:50 PM
While the Mustang owned '82 through '92.

It was a better handling car, had its biggest engine available with a MT, and was all-around a more reliable, better built car, but for most years the 5.7L IROCs and Z-28s were more powerful and quicker at the strip.

Of course the '03-'04 cobra kicked the camaro in the ass on its way out, the terminator cobras are/were undisputedly significantly faster than the last F-bodies. 

For the record, the cobra also jumped on paper by 70 hp from the previous model, while unofficially based on dyno numbers it was 100 hp.  The terminator cobras were definitely underated. 

True, but the F-body ended production in '02, so the comparison is kinda meh.

The Mach1 was at least even with an LS1.

In terms of power and acceleration, it wasn't. The LS1 F-bodies were off-the-floor solid 13 second performers (especially so the SS/SLP models), whilst the Mach1s struggled to dip into the 13s.

As a sidenote, '96/'97 cobras were defintely faster out of the box than the LT1 F-bods, it took the addition of the LS1 in '98 before it was back on top.

That's not my recollection - the 4.6L N/A Cobras were low 14 second performers (especially for those unfortunate SOBs that ended up with the underpowered SNAFU Cobras), the last LT1s (especially the 320 hp SS) were mid/upper 13 second performers.

The GT500 still owns the Challenger/Camaro as it stands and has quite bit more hp than either.

More HP, but it disappointed with its low 13 second performance. The Challenger SRT8 has shown to also be a low 13 second performer even with its weazy, high-geared AT. The Camaro with the 6.2L will be an upper 12 second performer. Until the comparisons are in IMO at best the GT500 runs mid pack.

It is a little disingenous to say Ford has not been playing hard ball in this segment (only a bit of time in the 90s they were not hp competitive), especially in this environment when the Mustang is one of their better selling vehicles.  In perspective it sells more than the Nissan FM platform combined. This is not a market they want to give up or give competitors an advantage, even with their discount price advantage.

In terms of selling Mustangs, Ford has indeed been playing hardball. In terms of performance and specifications, not so much: literally a decade ago the F-body was available with more power, 6sp MT, and at least equivalent acceleration to the present-day GT.

The camaro/challenger is good competition, and good for the Mustang, otherwise Ford would have no impetus to retire the 300 hp 3V 4.6 and release a higher hp engine.

True, but Ford's history of lackluster engine development tells us that the Mustang will be playing third fiddle. It's not that big of a deal, as my hunch is that both the Camaro and Challenger will be lower volume/upmarket relative to the Mustang.

It sounds like I'm being harsh on the Mustang, but I'm really not trying to be; it's just how I see it. To add some gas on the fire, with very few exceptions virtually every year the two were produced simultaneously ('67 - '02) the Camaro has been the more powerful, faster accelerating car.

Raza

Quote from: ChrisV on July 21, 2008, 12:44:47 PM
Completely disagree. I think it looks great. I'd love one in Bumblebee pearl yellow.

Do Want!

The car should have stayed in that shit movie. 

I just don't like it in any color.  Even black.  And if the car doesn't look good in black, in what will it look good?

That said, the 3 series coupe has finally started to look good to me.  It was the gray M3 on Top Gear.  I saw that from the side and thought "hey, that doesn't look that bad".  Sure, the details on the M3 make it ugly, but the 335i coupe (in white, for some reason, especially) looks pretty good to me. 

So maybe in 3 years, when the Camaro finally comes out, I'll think it doesn't look that bad.  For now, I kind of want an Aztek.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: MX793 on July 21, 2008, 04:31:54 PM
Inline 6 vs V6.  Different sound by nature of layout.  That's not to say you can't make a V6 sound good, though it seems all of the best sounding examples I've ever heard are usually smaller displacement units like the 2.5L from the SVT Contour or the 2.4L Dino engine that Ferrari and Lancia used to use. 

And IIRC, GM's DOHC V6 has some sort of NVH issue that is inherent to its design.

There are plenty of nice sounding V6s.  The 3.2L in my old E sounded great, as does the VQ in the 350Z, as well as others, I'm sure. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

CJ

I know the Honda 3.0 V6 sounds good.  :devil:

Vinsanity

Quote from: CJ on July 21, 2008, 06:19:55 PM
I know the Honda 3.0 V6 sounds good.  :devil:

another "meh". In the TL, it sounds like someone in the next room is playing a racing game.

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Cookie Monster

RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Tave

Why did GM market the car in Transformers if it wasn't going to release the model until three decades later?

Worst product placement EVA
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on July 21, 2008, 05:03:30 PM
It was a better handling car, had its biggest engine available with a MT, and was all-around a more reliable, better built car, but for most years the 5.7L IROCs and Z-28s were more powerful and quicker at the strip.
Wrong.  They were a dead heat and the IROC cost twice as much and only came with an auto.

QuoteIn terms of power and acceleration, it wasn't. The LS1 F-bodies were off-the-floor solid 13 second performers (especially so the SS/SLP models), whilst the Mach1s struggled to dip into the 13s.
Mach 1s were high 13 second cars and SLP doesn't count since they are the equivalent of Saleen.

QuoteMore HP, but it disappointed with its low 13 second performance. The Challenger SRT8 has shown to also be a low 13 second performer even with its weazy, high-geared AT. The Camaro with the 6.2L will be an upper 12 second performer. Until the comparisons are in IMO at best the GT500 runs mid pack.
Those initial low 13 second passes have never been duplicated since.  Every test since has got the car in the 12s, including an MM&FF test where they ran it balls out to a low 12 second pass.

CMan

I hate the Camaro's interior. It looks like it was designed by Rubbermaid in the 1970's.

The more I look at this car, the LESS I like it. And it's almost always the opposite with me.

Revised ranking after sleeping on it;

Challenger>Mustang>Camaro
Quote from: Morris Minor on September 26, 2008, 08:43:28 AM
I'm going to buy a tube radio so we can huddle round it and, by the light of a single candle, listen to President Obama's fireside chats.

2o6

I am loving this car, and usually I don't pay too much attention to large, power coupes.

GoCougs

Quote from: HEMI666 on July 21, 2008, 07:09:01 PM
Wrong.  They were a dead heat and the IROC cost twice as much and only came with an auto.

The dead heat was between the 5.0L 5sp IROC and Mustang GT; the 5.7L AT IROC was always a bit faster (albeit slim); and although the IROC generally did cost more, it never cost twice as much - at least in the US.

Mach 1s were high 13 second cars and SLP doesn't count since they are the equivalent of Saleen.

But that it was I said. Mach1s at best upper 13s, and standard LS1s mid 13s. SLP SSs were only icing in the equation.

Those initial low 13 second passes have never been duplicated since.  Every test since has got the car in the 12s, including an MM&FF test where they ran it balls out to a low 12 second pass.

FWIW the best I ever saw was 13.0 s; but even so comparing the GT500 lacks a bit of validity anywho - the SS is a competitor to the GT, not the GT500. If and until a suitable GT500 contender is on the way (ZL-1, Z-28?), suitable comparisons IMO will have to wait till then.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: CMan on July 21, 2008, 08:53:41 PM

I hate the Camaro's interior. It looks like it was designed by Rubbermaid in the 1970's.

The more I look at this car, the LESS I like it. And it's almost always the opposite with me.

Revised ranking after sleeping on it;

Challenger>Mustang>Camaro

I'd have to reverse that.

I saw a Challenger in person last night and it was very oddly proportioned. The trunklid was up past my belly button, and I'm not short.

nickdrinkwater

I thought they already revealed this thing about a year ago?

Anyway, when is it actually on sale?

ChrisV

This is the one problem with the Internet. It's almost always taken this long to get cars to market. But before the advent of internet scoop sites and forums, the general public really didn't get to know about the upcoming cars until they arrived. Now, in the age of instant information and instant gratification, car enthusiasts know about this stuff almost before the designers create them, and get way too impatient waiting for them to go through the normal development process.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

ChrisV

And I saw a challenger on teh road the other day and it looked spectacular, too. And the sound was spot on (I heard it before I saw it).

man, I want a Mustang, Challenger, and Camaro in a collection (as well as the SCCA Trans Am versions of each from '69-70)

Raza

Quote from: ChrisV on July 22, 2008, 07:36:13 AM
This is the one problem with the Internet. It's almost always taken this long to get cars to market. But before the advent of internet scoop sites and forums, the general public really didn't get to know about the upcoming cars until they arrived. Now, in the age of instant information and instant gratification, car enthusiasts know about this stuff almost before the designers create them, and get way too impatient waiting for them to go through the normal development process.

They also revealed the concept just after the end of the second World War.  The internet isn't incredibly new.  They should have waited for the concept and promises until it was further along in the production stage if they didn't want it to look old before the first car hit the streets.  But, they needed to put it in that two hour long GM commercial.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ChrisV

Quote from: Raza  on July 22, 2008, 07:49:42 AM
They also revealed the concept just after the end of the second World War.

Hyperbole like this makes you're argument weaker. 

QuoteThe internet isn't incredibly new. 

not to a kid like you, no. but to an actual adult, yes, it is. In the grand sceme of the automobile, it's a very recent blip on the radar.

QuoteThey should have waited for the concept and promises until it was further along in the production stage if they didn't want it to look old before the first car hit the streets.

And again, with the rise of scoop sites, that's not possible for anyone.

QuoteBut, they needed to put it in that two hour long GM commercial.

Why not? it was a great opportunity. And I OWN that movie. I like it. It wasn't supposed to be "War and Peace." It wasn't supposed to be anything other than escapist entertainment. And it was based on a children's advertisement for cheesy toys. But you think it was supposed to be deep and spiritual? Give me a fucking break.

Tave

WHATEVER his opinion about the movie, GM shouldn't have jumped the gun by product placing a product THAT DIDN'T EXIST. Hell, nick thought it was already on the streets.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.