Motorcycles.

Started by S204STi, July 21, 2008, 10:19:36 AM

MrH

I'm on my phone. I'll find it in a bit. I thought it was famous already :lol:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

SVT_Power

I assume you were talking about this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CRqPailWkc

In the riding community, definitely old news :lol:

Lessons to be taken away from that:

- Don't follow other riders too closely
- Stagger formation
- Most importantly, sometimes you just have to be lucky as all hell
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Cookie Monster

RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Cookie Monster on October 07, 2016, 02:07:32 PM
Boo electric bikes
+1

Trains, buses, trucks, cars, OK

Keep that frou frou eco bullshit away from my brum brum.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

MX793

Quote from: SVT_Power on October 07, 2016, 10:53:06 AM
I assume you were talking about this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CRqPailWkc

In the riding community, definitely old news :lol:

Lessons to be taken away from that:

- Don't follow other riders too closely
- Stagger formation
- Most importantly, sometimes you just have to be lucky as all hell

I would also add:
-Wear appropriate footwear (note his sneaker was ripped off his foot at some point while tumbling)
-Riding with a firearm, or anything else, strapped to your hip is probably not a great idea if you hit the ground and start tumbling.

On that last one, I saw another video of a guy who grabbed too much front brake to avoid hitting a car that stopped short in front of him and flipped over the front of the bike.  He tried to get up and it was apparent he had a broken leg.  A passerby who was a nurse stopped to help him and as he was laying there, he reached down and pulled out a small pickaxe that he had stuffed down the waistband of his pants (the handle of the axe was slid down one of his pant legs).  My guess is, that was what broke his leg since he wasn't going that fast when he crashed (no more than 30 mph).

Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

12,000 RPM

Damn, was it a femur break?

MX793

Another angle on that dog video.  Looks like the guy who hit the dog got center-punched in the back by another rider as he was sliding to a stop.  Doesn't look like he had a back protector, either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q6mRPP1_58
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Eye of the Tiger

MX793

Needs more Jiggawatts

CaminoRacer

Pickax guy probably stole the bike
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

Quote from: Cookie Monster on October 07, 2016, 02:07:32 PM
Boo electric bikes

I thought they were dumb 'til my friend built himself an electric moped and I rode it.  Totally different experience, but a lot of fun.  So many torques.

But, they're really expensive and come with range anxiety, so I'll continue on ICE bikes as well.   

Eye of the Tiger

Eye of the Tiger

If I came up with $2K for a bike... well, that would be a sizeable down payment on a new $4399 CBR300RRR-R ...

30.4 HP is enough for a 70 MPH highway commute in light traffic, and 70 MPG is enough to justify the purchase, as long as I ride it every day ...

prolly not

SVT_Power

Why not pick up a used 300? They're cheap and plenty of them for sale :huh:

Also the CBR300 would be my last pick out of the 300's
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: SVT_Power on October 09, 2016, 03:25:17 PM
Why not pick up a used 300? They're cheap and plenty of them for sale :huh:

Also the CBR300 would be my last pick out of the 300's

They're only a year old. Used ones go for $3800. Not a big savings.
Also, I like the R3 better, but whatevers. Honda fanboi.

12,000 RPM

If I'm going to risk my life to ride a bike the giggle factor has to be very high. CBR300R is like the Toyota Corolla of motorcycles.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 10, 2016, 06:44:24 AM
If I'm going to risk my life to ride a bike the giggle factor has to be very high. CBR300R is like the Toyota Corolla of motorcycles.

I drive an Element. A CBR300RRR would be like a Doge Viper bike.

Eye of the Tiger

12,000 RPM

Eye of the Tiger

I will rase u to the café at 45 MPH

Raza

Quote from: MX793 on October 07, 2016, 03:45:04 PM
No idea.  Found the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfJsqBgQygk

Why the fuck does he have that down his pants in the first place?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 07, 2016, 02:09:47 PM
+1

Trains, buses, trucks, cars, OK

Keep that frou frou eco bullshit away from my brum brum.

Keep electric the hell away from cars, but yes to bikes. Bikes are much, much bigger polluters than cars because the technology lags so far behind cars. Great gas mileage, but per mile, they pollute more.

I'm actually deeply in favor of autonomous electric or plug-in hybrid motorcycles as well.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Raza  on October 11, 2016, 05:19:33 AM
Keep electric the hell away from cars, but yes to bikes. Bikes are much, much bigger polluters than cars because the technology lags so far behind cars. Great gas mileage, but per mile, they pollute more.

I'm actually deeply in favor of autonomous electric or plug-in hybrid motorcycles as well.
Literally every sentence in this post is bullshit.

For starters, as of Euro 3, motorcycle and car emissions standards were aligned. So by law in the EU bikes and cars from like 2000 pollute the same per mile.

Secondly, obviously bikes consume less fuel. Not sure you know this but combustion byproducts from fuel consumption counts for pollution too.

That said I would not be opposed to a mild hybrid or plug in hybrid bike... but I would want that because it would make already very economical vehicles even more so rather than out of your jealousy of folks with the guts to ride that you lack. "Since I can't ride I will make it miserable for those who can" :facepalm:

CaminoRacer

Nah, keep the complicated tech off of bikes. I got into bikes because they're simple and easy to work on, as well as being fun to ride. I like the fact that even new bikes are still pretty uncomplicated
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

12,000 RPM

Mild hybrid could be really simple on bikes. Motor behind the clutch, extra battery :huh: Wouldn't have to be mandatory, but it would be nice. They would have to do a lot to keep it light though. Panigale style monocoque

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 11, 2016, 06:00:30 AM
Literally every sentence in this post is bullshit.

For starters, as of Euro 3, motorcycle and car emissions standards were aligned. So by law in the EU bikes and cars from like 2000 pollute the same per mile.

Secondly, obviously bikes consume less fuel. Not sure you know this but combustion byproducts from fuel consumption counts for pollution too.

That said I would not be opposed to a mild hybrid or plug in hybrid bike... but I would want that because it would make already very economical vehicles even more so rather than out of your jealousy of folks with the guts to ride that you lack. "Since I can't ride I will make it miserable for those who can" :facepalm:

The guy in that video drove head on into a moving Nissan Versa.  An autonomous bike would never do that.  Nor would an autonomous bike ditch a rider, hit a dog, or then hit the ditched rider.  Most motorcycle riders are disinterested in road safety; they're either stunting like idiots and creating danger to themselves and others or they're listening to music and texting or they're just riding slowly to get away from their job as an accountant. 

I was going to say you still can't take a joke, since my first post clearly was, but now I'm beginning to get onboard with my own joke premise.   :lol:

Also, what was that about pollution?
https://www.wired.com/2008/06/motorcycles-pol/
http://us.ridexperience.metzeler.com/2011/10/mythbusters-motorcycles-pollute-more-than-cars-do/

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

12,000 RPM

I take motorcycling very seriously, as anybody who rides should.

As far as the pollution thing:

https://rideapart.com/articles/busting-the-mythbusters-motorcycle-pollution-claims

shp4man

LOL.  :muffin:

Have you ever ridden a motorcycle, Raza?