Lotus Evora

Started by 2o6, July 22, 2008, 01:50:07 PM

MX793

Quote from: R-inge on July 22, 2008, 09:44:23 PM
They are certainly priced that way.

There's a difference between a premium car and a luxury car.  I wouldn't consider most Porsches or Ferraris to be "luxury cars" in the traditional sense (obviously, owning such a vehicle is a luxury, but they aren't really luxurious like a Mercedes or Lexus), but they sure as heck have a premium price tag.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

NomisR

Quote from: Raza  on July 23, 2008, 03:03:31 PM
Of the car?  Or just overall?

The pics shows exactly what 2+2 means :lol:

TBR

Quote from: NomisR on July 23, 2008, 09:49:33 AM
The heavy weight Espite is basically slowly increased in weight through the year especially after GM's aquisition of Lotus.  But this is not really Colin's definition of light, I'd prefer them to shed about 500lb off of the thing to make it more competitive with the Porsches.  Right now, the Elise and especially the Exige S240 can basically run circles around this car at the power to weight ratio.

Undoubtedly, but it was never a light weight and wasn't intended to be one when Chapman originally decided to make the car. But, yes, it is heavier than I'd like. I'd rather have an Elise SC.

ChrisV

Quote from: NomisR on July 23, 2008, 12:08:01 PM
Lotus...

Lotusessseses? I like Lotii. ;) If purists hate it, all the better.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

nickdrinkwater

Lotuses don't look anything like kit cars to me.  Maybe it's because they are far more common here, though.

Nethead

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on July 24, 2008, 09:59:56 AM
Lotuses don't look anything like kit cars to me.  Maybe it's because they are far more common here, though.

nickdrinkliquor: Not all Lotuses look like amaterishly-styled kit cars--the purposeful Lotus Elan and the sleek, angular, & beautiful Lotus Esprit come immediately to mind (And I ain't  talkin' about the Turbo Esprit with it's J.C. Whitney splitter, aprons, and wing, either! Ewwwww!!)

If the original Esprit had offered the Cosworth DFV 3.0-liter Formula One V8 it might have been the most perfect vehicle ever built.

But I digress--the Evora and the Elise look garish, with their scoops and gills and vents and wings and rice-soaked "air-extractor panels" (or whatever they may be called) between the tailpipes, yada yada yada. Raw sewage.  The Elise's aerodynamics seem to suck as a result--costing it any advantages the 240 HP version might have had in Road & Track's 10-car "Free-For-All" comparo (CarSpin has a thread about this already).  Subaru coulda come up with better looks--and better body panel fit, too... 
So many stairs...so little time...

NomisR

Quote from: Nethead on July 25, 2008, 10:49:15 AM
nickdrinkliquor: Not all Lotuses look like amaterishly-styled kit cars--the purposeful Lotus Elan and the sleek, angular, & beautiful Lotus Esprit come immediately to mind (And I ain't  talkin' about the Turbo Esprit with it's J.C. Whitney splitter, aprons, and wing, either! Ewwwww!!) If the original Esprit had offered the Cosworth DFV 3.0-liter Formula One V8 it might have been the most perfect vehicle ever built.

But I digress--the Evora and the Elise look garish, with their scoops and gills and vents and wings and rice-soaked "air-extractor panels" (or whatever they may be called) between the tailpipes, yada yada yada. Raw sewage.  The Elise's aerodynamics seem to suck as a result--costing it any advantages the 240 HP version might have had in Road & Track's 10-car "Free-For-All" comparo (CarSpin has a thread about this already).  Subaru coulda come up with better looks--and better body panel fit, too... 

Elise doesn't have any wings nor does it have 240hp.  It's front clam works to add downforce and rear clam also adds additional downforce along with the assistance of the rear splitters. 

You're talking about the Exige which all of the aero components are still functional in adding additional down force.  It's all functional.

As for not liking it?  You're just old!  :lol:

Nethead

Quote from: NomisR on July 25, 2008, 11:58:55 AM
Elise doesn't have any wings nor does it have 240hp.  It's front clam works to add downforce and rear clam also adds additional downforce along with the assistance of the rear splitters. 
You're talking about the Exige which all of the aero components are still functional in adding additional down force.  It's all functional.
As for not liking it?  You're just old!  :lol:

NomisR:  Yep, NomisDude, the Nethead here is old, but I don't feel a day over 105!  And I meant the "Exige S 240" but said "Elise".  My bad!!  Where do they come up with these names--does GM own Lotus now? 

Such a shame--waaaayyy back in the early 'Seventies when everything had gone to shit, only the original Esprit :rockon: (which no one could afford), the original Scirocco, and the '73 Datsun PL620 pickup were fit to be seen in--unless you wore a bag over your head with eye-hole cut-outs. Oh, yeah, and the 911. :rockon:  I bought the one I could afford... 

NomisR

Quote from: Nethead on July 25, 2008, 12:12:01 PM
NomisR:  Yep, NomisDude, the Nethead here is old, but I don't feel a day over 105!  And maybe I have the Exige and Elise mixed up (us geezers do that)--so I'm talkin' about the ugly, ugly, ugly Lotus.  Such a shame--waaaayyy back in the early 'Seventies when everything had gone to shit, only the original Esprit :rockon: (which no one could afford), the original Scirocco, and the '73 Datsun PL620 pickup were fit to be seen in--unless you wore a bag over your head with eye-hole cut-outs. Oh, yeah, and the 911. :rockon:  I bought the one I could afford... 

Original Esprite wasn't exactly the best looking car either, and the last versions of it made it even worse.  Elan on the other hand, that I like. 

But how can you call these cars ugly though? (aside from the painters tape)

Nethead

Quote from: NomisR on July 25, 2008, 12:24:53 PM
Original Esprite wasn't exactly the best looking car either, and the last versions of it made it even worse.  Elan on the other hand, that I like. 

But how can you call these cars ugly though? (aside from the painters tape)

NomisR:  It's hard to describe the Exige's styling in a complimentary way.  "Ugly" is a little harsh, perhaps--or perhaps not.  Ya had to grow up seeing these faux sportscar fiberglass bodies that Southern California was cranking out for VW Beetle chasses & running gear in the late 'Sixties--those, too, had scoops and vents and gills and whatever, although the Exige distinguishes itself from those sham "sportscar" kits by making all of these items crescent-shaped or half-mooned--or else stretched-out, pointy-ended ovals (the headlights, for instance).  It's styling is gimmicky, as was the styling of those early faux sportcar kits for VW chasses & running gear...

Tave

I think the Elise looks cool, but I wouldn't call it pretty. Same goes for the Modena.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Vinsanity

I fail to see how the Elise/Exige styling could at all be called gimmicky. IMO, it's one of the most purposeful-looking cars out there.

Raza

Quote from: Vinsanity on July 25, 2008, 06:35:42 PM
I fail to see how the Elise/Exige styling could at all be called gimmicky. IMO, it's one of the most purposeful-looking cars out there.

I agree.  It looks lean, taut, modern, and purpose-built; not four things that can be said of any other car on the market today. 

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Onslaught

The Elise is a frak'n awesome looking car. And it is everything I'd ever want in a car too.

Raza

Quote from: Onslaught on July 25, 2008, 08:38:25 PM
The Elise is a frak'n awesome looking car. And it is everything I'd ever want in a car too.

I think I could do with a little more trunk space.  Maybe if it were slightly deeper, you could fit some groceries in it, in case the passenger area fills up.

Seriously though, I will have one. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Onslaught

Well for me it would be the ultimate toy car. I'm not sure it could be my only car.

Nethead

'Make mine an Elan, followed by an Esprit if no one's giving away Elans.  Else ("Else" is an English language adverb and/or adjective, depending upon context--and not the name of some Lotus) gimme the great Jim Clark's 1968 Silverstone-winning Formula One Lotus--mighta been a Lotus 49 (after four decades, who can recall?).  It was the breakthrough Formula One car of that era, and this was the race in which it debuted (and which Jim Clark won, even though a suspension member broke during the race). It was also the racing debut of the now legendary Ford-Cosworth DFV 3.0-liter V8, the winningest engine in Formula One history (and which also powered an outright over-all winner of the 24 Heures du Mans around 1975) and a big success in US Indy car racing in the 'Seventies.  One of the many masterpieces of engineering from the brilliant mind of the late, great Colin Chapman...Those were the days...

Raza

Quote from: Onslaught on July 26, 2008, 01:45:58 PM
Well for me it would be the ultimate toy car. I'm not sure it could be my only car.

I think I could handle it unless I had a family.  It wouldn't be ideal, though. 

It would be nice to have the Elise in the garage next to a car like a GTI, SVT Focus, or any other hot hatch.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

omicron

Quote from: Nethead on July 25, 2008, 10:49:15 AM
nickdrinkliquor: Not all Lotuses look like amaterishly-styled kit cars--the purposeful Lotus Elan and the sleek, angular, & beautiful Lotus Esprit come immediately to mind (And I ain't  talkin' about the Turbo Esprit with it's J.C. Whitney splitter, aprons, and wing, either! Ewwwww!!) If the original Esprit had offered the Cosworth DFV 3.0-liter Formula One V8 it might have been the most perfect vehicle ever built.

One less Esprit Turbo in Mr. Nethead's garage means one more Esprit Turbo in Omi's garage!

A wonderful car; equally as wonderful as the 1972 original:

The thought of that silver car with the Cosworth DFV 3.0-liter Formula One V8 as you mentioned is almost painfully arousing. There, I said it.

Tave

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=15292.msg855166#msg855166 date=1217132000
It would be nice to have the Elise in the garage next to a car like a GTI, SVT Focus, or any other hot hatch.

Wouldn't you want something with a little more space if you already had an Elise?

I'd park my Lotus next to a XJR, thank you very much.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Raza

Quote from: Tave on July 27, 2008, 10:46:12 AM
Wouldn't you want something with a little more space if you already had an Elise?

Space for what?  The hatches have plenty of space for cargo, and enough space for passengers. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Tave on July 27, 2008, 10:46:12 AM

Any one of those hatches would have more usable passenger and cargo space than an XJR. Although I can't blame you for choosing one over a GTI, it wouldn't be for a practical reason.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Raza

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 27, 2008, 09:59:24 PM
Any one of those hatches would have more usable passenger and cargo space than an XJR. Although I can't blame you for choosing one over a GTI, it wouldn't be for a practical reason.

You think they would have more usable passenger space?  Depending on what generation XJR he's talking about, they could be quite spacious (or, indeed quite small). 

If I needed a luxury car, or had room and money for a third car, a nice used Jag would be the obvious choice.  Endless class, plummeting residual values; definitely the way to go.  But I'd pick up an XK8 or XKR. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Raza  on July 27, 2008, 10:25:05 PM
You think they would have more usable passenger space?  Depending on what generation XJR he's talking about, they could be quite spacious (or, indeed quite small). 

If I needed a luxury car, or had room and money for a third car, a nice used Jag would be the obvious choice.  Endless class, plummeting residual values; definitely the way to go.  But I'd pick up an XK8 or XKR. 

All the XJs I've ever been in were somewhat on the snug side. Maybe I'm wrong.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Vinsanity

The perfect complimentary vehicle to a Lotus Elise?

:lol:

Onslaught

Quote from: Raza  on July 27, 2008, 10:25:05 PM

Better know a good mechanic too.

Raza

Quote from: Onslaught on July 28, 2008, 04:12:46 AM

I think preventative maintenance goes a long way on cars like that, unless you get one of those electrical problems that just pop up.  Apparently they had some problems with the older Mercedes box, but the ZF unit is pretty good. 

Evo just did a buying guide on XKRs.  I could take a look at it and report the trouble spots.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 27, 2008, 11:03:50 PM

I find the newer models (even the SWBs, like the XJR) to be pretty roomy.  But if you go older, then yes; a contemporary 5 series or E class would be noticeably roomier.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Tave

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 27, 2008, 11:03:50 PM

Well, I suppose I could go through the trouble of listing the interior room of a Focus versus several full-size luxury models, but I'm not going to.

Tave

Quote from: Onslaught on July 28, 2008, 04:12:46 AM

It's not like VW's reputation is completely spotless.