Quick oil level question

Started by Tom, July 24, 2005, 03:09:24 PM

Tom

Last week when I changed the oil I overfilled by almost 1/2 quart.  Could this cause damage or should I let it go?  Thanks.

Run Away

Run Away

Seriously though, no harm done at all.
It'll just end up burning off over the next month or so.

footoflead

Agreed with above...

*how'd you over fill by a Half-quart...
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Tom

The thing is the engine doesn't burn or leak any oil.  It will be just as high the next time I change it.

footoflead

QuoteAgreed with above...

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

93JC

QuoteAgreed with above...

He put a pint more in than was specified...?

Tom

Does anyone know if having a 1/2 quart more in the crankcase can damage an engine??  I wouldn't think so, but better safe than sorry I suppose.

R33 GT-R

It won't be a problem, I always overfill a bit.  This way under hard cornering I'm less likely to starve the engine.
Dubbed:  Skanky Whore!

Tom

QuoteIt won't be a problem, I always overfill a bit.  This way under hard cornering I'm less likely to starve the engine.
Ok, thanks.  I'll just let it go.

BartsSVO

It might cause you a little fuel mileage as well from the crank whipping through the oil. You won't do any harm unless you hammer the engine enough that the crank actually whips the oil into a froth.
--Bart

1986 Mustang SVO
1995 Ranger XLT

Tom

QuoteIt might cause you a little fuel mileage as well from the crank whipping through the oil. You won't do any harm unless you hammer the engine enough that the crank actually whips the oil into a froth.
Thanks.  Wouldn't this happen, though to a lesser extent, if the oil was not overfilled?

giant_mtb

I overfilled my lawnmower's oil by quite a bit and nothing has gone wrong all summer.

footoflead

QuoteI overfilled my lawnmower's oil by quite a bit and nothing has gone wrong all summer.
A little extra oil never hurt anything...Since lawnmowers tend to burn oil a little

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

giant_mtb

QuoteI overfilled my lawnmower's oil by quite a bit and nothing has gone wrong all summer.
A little extra oil never hurt anything...Since lawnmowers tend to burn oil a little
^_^

R33 GT-R

Not the Deere. :lol:  
Dubbed:  Skanky Whore!

VTEC_Inside

No offence, but I've filled a mowers crankcase with water and it it still ran..

See here:
Mower OF DEATH!!!
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

giant_mtb

See here:
Mower OF DEATH!!!
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :rockon:  

Tom

See here:
Mower OF DEATH!!!
That's some good stuff.  I'll make sure to check it out in depth in the morning when I can concentrate.  But for the record, I've killed a B/S motor ;)  :lol:  

BartsSVO

QuoteIt might cause you a little fuel mileage as well from the crank whipping through the oil. You won't do any harm unless you hammer the engine enough that the crank actually whips the oil into a froth.
Thanks.  Wouldn't this happen, though to a lesser extent, if the oil was not overfilled?
Typically speaking? No. Most oil pans are deep enough that it isn't that much of a problem except if you're in the habit of running the motor at 5000-6000 rpm all the time. I skipped on putting a windage tray in my SVO simply because it wouldn't have much effect at the engine speeds I'd be at most of the time.  
--Bart

1986 Mustang SVO
1995 Ranger XLT

saxonyron

A half quart over should be no problem.  But it is possible to hurt an engine with too much oil.  My 2.7T is notoriously sensitive to too much oil. It's been known to blow seals and mess with emissions stuff.  Other engines I've heard it can mess up your PCV valve, etc.  Just be careful out there!

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

BartsSVO

Excess oil could perhaps get sucked up through the PCV valve, but likely wouldn't damage it unless the car was infrequently driven and it just sludged up. Most vehicles have a baffle where the PCV valve/hose connects to the block or intake to keep them from sucking up oil though.  
--Bart

1986 Mustang SVO
1995 Ranger XLT