Saying Goodbye... (and saying hello)

Started by Raza , July 30, 2008, 05:33:41 PM

Raza

There are some things about which you just don?t want to write.  Today is the day I?ve been dreading for quite some time now.

Today is the day my Passat becomes no longer mine. 

I know it ought not to be such a big deal.  I?ve had the car for four years, which is a good run, and it?s not like I didn?t know that my lease would end at some point.  And after all, it is just a car.  A bunch of metal and plastic and glass and leatherette that all come together into shape.  It?s just a machine.

Or is it? 

This car has been with me for so many special moments.  It was there when I first discovered the joy of turbo boost.  It was the car that moved me into my first apartment.  It moved me out of my first apartment.  It was there when I got my first speeding ticket.  We?ve lived in three towns together.  We had wins.  We had losses.  We even had arguments (but not many). 

Sitting here, as my car sits miles away in the parking lot of a car dealership, I have a feeling that I?ll never drive it again.  I went through all my lasts with it today.  The last time I?ll get into the car.  The last time I?ll get out.  The last time I?ll change CDs.  The last time it will ever bring me home. 

We tore through back roads, we clipped apexes, we even flew a few times.  We forded rivers.  When the Delaware flooded, we drove up and down the banks, letting the front tires struggle for grip, spitting mud and clay all over the flanks, and loving every minute of it. 

This car was there for me when I was angry, sad, or when I needed comfort.  All it ever asked of me was a little bit of fuel and a wash every once in a while.  It was more than any car could be; it was my family. 

I understand that a Passat is not a car that kids doodle in their notebooks.  I know it will never really be an object of lust.  No one daydreams about a garage full of Passats.  But this little sport sedan, with its four cylinder engine, five speed automatic, and front wheel drive, was a blast every time I pushed it.  It always worked as hard as I wanted it to.  It was a sports car when I pushed.  It was a sedate cruiser when I didn?t. 

Thinking about the fact that it?s gone now, I feel a deep sense of loss.  This car wasn?t my first.  But it was the first car I truly loved.  I?ll never be as attached to any other car, or perhaps, any thing or person, as I am to this one. 

This car may not be everything to everyone.  But it really was everything to me. 

Passat, you will be truly and sorely missed.  I hope our paths cross again. 

(I have about 240 more pictures that I took today, so I'll gradually post them.)
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

the Teuton

*Cues in James Blunt's "Goodbye My Lover"*

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wVyggTKDcOE

Sorry, Raz.  I hope you find another car that treats you as well, if not better.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Raza

Thanks, man.  Today was bittersweet.  I got to say hello to a brand new car, have the pride of paying for the whole thing all myself, but I also have to say goodbye to a car that's been there for me for 70% of my driving career, and nearly 20% of my life.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

NomisR

You went from a VW to another VW?   :nutty:

Raza

The Passat is slightly larger on the inside, and as I recall, a few inches longer, but for the most part, the interior dimensions are about the same (the Passat has a few tenths of an inch here and there).  The trunk of the Jetta is bigger (16 vs 15), though. 

The glovebox is larger, the center armrest storage is larger (and has an AUX input...I have to buy the right lead), and the seat is more upright.  It doesn't go as low as the Passat did, either, but the lumbar support is very good, and it's just as comfortable, really.

The car drives incredibly similarly to the Passat, just with more power. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ifcar

The Passat certainly was prettier, but enjoy it.

And you forgot to mention the main thing that makes that Jetta more fun than your Passat.

Raza

Quote from: ifcar on July 30, 2008, 06:04:48 PM
The Passat certainly was prettier, but enjoy it.

And you forgot to mention the main thing that makes that Jetta more fun than your Passat.

It is very nice to have a stickshift.  I enjoy it a lot. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

CALL_911

Congrats, Raza. It's not as much a looker as the Passat was, but it's probably more fun. Thumbs up from me. The 2.0T is awesome.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

the Teuton

So what all did you testdrive before you came to the conclusion that the people's car was still where your heart belonged?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Champ

Congrats / sorry to hear it dude!

Not sure what will ever compel me to sell the Viggen...and what I will feel like if it's ever gone.  As of now the car is a 'lifer' for me.

The Pirate

I'm with ifcar, the Passat is an incredibly sharp looking car.  Very good photos too.  And I know exactly what you're experiencing, I miss my Civic terribly.

But the Jetta is certainly no downgrade - enjoy it.  I'd imagine the six-speed and the 2.0T have to help with any Passat misgivings.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

280Z Turbo

I never considered myself to be a fan of the Mk V Jetta, but it sure looks nice in those pictures. I think the wheels and black paint make it look a lot better.

Looks like it will be a fun car. :ohyeah:

S204STi

Oh man...the Mk V Jetta 2.0T is a screamer, I don't care what people say about it.

What is the difference between the Wolfsburg and the GLI?

dazzleman

Good luck with the new wheels, Raza.

I know how you feel about parting with the Passat.  It will always be a fond memory.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

280Z Turbo

You're probably going to wish you never got rid of the Passat. Don't worry about that though, it's normal.

I still miss my Saab and the Ranger even though they were both terrible vehicles.

Danish

Congrats on the car.

In the first pic, is the cigarette smoke there intentionally? Its a nice effect
Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

Raza

Quote from: R-inge on July 30, 2008, 06:36:56 PM
Oh man...the Mk V Jetta 2.0T is a screamer, I don't care what people say about it.

What is the difference between the Wolfsburg and the GLI?

The GTI has, obviously, the unique front fascia, and a unique steering wheel, as well as the slightly different interior.  The suspension is supposedly 20% firmer (the Wolfsburg and the GTI feel about the same, honestly).  GLI has available leather, but the Wolfsburg is leatherette only. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: The Pirate on July 30, 2008, 06:25:30 PM
I'm with ifcar, the Passat is an incredibly sharp looking car.  Very good photos too.  And I know exactly what you're experiencing, I miss my Civic terribly.

But the Jetta is certainly no downgrade - enjoy it.  I'd imagine the six-speed and the 2.0T have to help with any Passat misgivings.

Yeah, I know.  The Passat is a better looking car.  Classy, lean, taut.

Quote from: dazzleman on July 30, 2008, 06:44:57 PM
Good luck with the new wheels, Raza.

I know how you feel about parting with the Passat.  It will always be a fond memory.

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on July 30, 2008, 06:49:20 PM
You're probably going to wish you never got rid of the Passat. Don't worry about that though, it's normal.

I still miss my Saab and the Ranger even though they were both terrible vehicles.

Thanks for the warm words guys.  Having the new car is making it easier to move on, but earlier I was really thinking about going back on the deal, buying the Passat, and just saving up to buy another sports car later. 

I think Sean is right.  I'll probably always regret my decision, always miss the car, no matter how good the Wolf is. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: Danish on July 30, 2008, 06:51:05 PM
Congrats on the car.

In the first pic, is the cigarette smoke there intentionally? Its a nice effect

Yes.

I took 260 pictures today.  I tried a bunch of different effects.  Including slipping my sunglasses over the lens of the camera.

I will be entering that into an Auto Photo Comp soon.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

BimmerM3

If you don't mind me asking, what were the terms of purchase for the Jetta? As I remember, you were shopping for used cars in a significantly different price range... I didn't know that you were still considering a new car.

Raza

Quote from: BimmerM3 on July 30, 2008, 09:13:07 PM
If you don't mind me asking, what were the terms of purchase for the Jetta? As I remember, you were shopping for used cars in a significantly different price range... I didn't know that you were still considering a new car.

I leased it for less than the Passat was.  I'm planning on buying it at the end of the lease, if all goes well.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

S204STi

Quote from: Raza  on July 30, 2008, 08:40:49 PM
The GTI has, obviously, the unique front fascia, and a unique steering wheel, as well as the slightly different interior.  The suspension is supposedly 20% firmer (the Wolfsburg and the GTI feel about the same, honestly).  GLI has available leather, but the Wolfsburg is leatherette only. 

Ah, ok.  So it has the engine and transmission of the GLI minus a little suspension firmness and some trim/appointments.  Sounds like a deal, really.

Raza

Quote from: R-inge on July 30, 2008, 09:18:22 PM
Ah, ok.  So it has the engine and transmission of the GLI minus a little suspension firmness and some trim/appointments.  Sounds like a deal, really.

Last time I built a GLI with everything I wanted, it was 27K.  For the price differential, I could put in a killer suspension and still have enough change for a nice watch.  A really nice watch.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

NomisR

With the miles you drive, wouldn't the lease be too expensive?

Onslaught

Hope you like the new one. I understand the pain of giving up an old friend. I still feel pain when I think of driving off from the Car Max lot after selling them my MX-3 GS all those years ago. I had a dream about her not to long ago. I felt like I betrayed it. Not that they are alive to know.

And you don't want your paths to cross again. I saw my car three years later and the person who owned it did not take care of her at all.

JYODER240

Congats, gutsy call going with black though.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Raza

Quote from: JYODER240 on July 30, 2008, 09:59:28 PM
Congats, gutsy call going with black though.

3/4ths of my cars have been black. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: NomisR on July 30, 2008, 09:44:59 PM
With the miles you drive, wouldn't the lease be too expensive?

I don't plan on this kind of mileage for long.  I'll probably be moving soon.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i