Saying Goodbye... (and saying hello)

Started by Raza , July 30, 2008, 05:33:41 PM

SJ_GTI

I want to say my mileage kept getting significantly better for the first few thousand. I would say after ~10000 miles you should be getting your best MPG.

Raza

Quote from: SJ_GTI on August 15, 2008, 08:58:42 AM
I want to say my mileage kept getting significantly better for the first few thousand. I would say after ~10000 miles you should be getting your best MPG.

I just measured my third tank.  20.56mpg, with a mix of suburb, highway, and city.  I went to the Phils/Pirates game on the 9th. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

FlatBlackCaddy

What's with the "next addition:" section of you sig raza.

Car to explain in more detail? Why would you want a 350Z roadster?

FlatBlackCaddy

Found the answer to my question in the luxury section.

I just didn't expect to see so many "raza car drama" threads at the same time, normally he likes to spread them out alittle bit. :lol:

Raza

Well that one started out as a "Boxster is gone, LS460 is in" thread. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

dazzleman

Quote from: GoCougs on August 04, 2008, 09:35:47 PM
Depends on what your goals are. IMO keeping a car for 10 years is sacrificing hassle, performance and safety to save a buck; keeping a car for 2 years is just the opposite.

Purely in terms of depreciation, try graphing some values using KBB. My hunch is that the first three years is where it's the steepest, and flattens out relatively quick after that.

For me I've recently decided that it's 4-5 years; or about the typical generation. Most cars nowadays will last a lot longer, but meh, I'm not hurting for cash, and so far my automotive tastes have been quite modest.

Rate of depreciation, and timing, depends on the car.

I sold my last car after 5 years.  I didn't really want to, but I was at the point where the value of the car was ready to hit the 'cliff,' which would have increased my average annual depreciation cost, and required me to keep the car several more years in order to bring the average down again.  It makes no sense to sell the car right after a significant fall-off in value.  And I knew that I didn't want to be driving around in an 8-10 year old car.  It was the right decision, but it seemed counterintuitive at the time.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

SVT_Power

Quote from: dazzleman on August 18, 2008, 07:41:45 PM
Rate of depreciation, and timing, depends on the car.

I sold my last car after 5 years. 

what was your last car?
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

TBR

I'll answered for him, it was an E39 530i in a dark blue of some sort. 2001 I think.

SVT_Power

"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Raza

Broke 3,000 miles a little while ago.  So far, all is well, and I'm getting more into the sweet spot with it.

I went on with my first drag race the other day.  Up against a modified MkIV GTI 1.8T.  Long story short, when we both went at it and gave it our all, I had 2-2.5 lengths on him. 

This engine is fantastic.  I absolutely don't need any more power.  I'm messing around enough as it is. 

As far as engine sound...

At idle it's nothing special.  It almost sounds like a diesel.  Revving unloaded it gets you a sort of weedy sound.  But loaded, going full throttle?  Damn, it sounds great. 

I'm really loving this car.  Every shift gives me a little smile...

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

FlatBlackCaddy

"I absolutely don't need any more power"

Normally i would make fun of you, but given the past reliability of stock 1.8t's and a crummy FWD setup i too would not want any more power ripping that front end appart. Not to mention the lack of a real differential.

Happy 3K by the way.

Champ

happy 3k!!!!

I'm only going to put about 5,000 miles on the Viggen this (past) year :(

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Champ on October 02, 2008, 09:17:23 AM
happy 3k!!!!

I'm only going to put about 5,000 miles on the Viggen this (past) year :(

Might as well cage it, rip the interior out and throw some slicks on it. :lol:

Raza

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on October 02, 2008, 09:08:40 AM
"I absolutely don't need any more power"

Normally i would make fun of you, but given the past reliability of stock 1.8t's and a crummy FWD setup i too would not want any more power ripping that front end appart. Not to mention the lack of a real differential.

Happy 3K by the way.

Well, need is a narrowly defined word.  Want is something else. 

I'll probably bump up the power a little (maybe up to 215-225), but the way the car is right now, it would be foolish to go for that first.  I already have traction problems in first, and in second when it's wet. 

In order of importance:
Tires
Foglights
Suspension stuff (I'll be honest here; I don't know much about suspensions, so I'm learning.  I think sway bars are where I'm going to go first)
Wheels
Engine

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

sparkplug

It could be a weedeater engine but as long as it's reliable.
Getting stoned, one stone at a time.