Saying Goodbye... (and saying hello)

Started by Raza , July 30, 2008, 05:33:41 PM

280Z Turbo

omicron

Congratulations, young Raza - a sound choice. Not only has your experience with Volkswagens in the past been positive, but objectively, they're damn good cars too.

Raza

Quote from: omicron on July 31, 2008, 09:39:24 PM
Congratulations, young Raza - a sound choice. Not only has your experience with Volkswagens in the past been positive, but objectively, they're damn good cars too.

I was going to get a 1979 Eldorado, but I just couldn't find one in the right color combination.

;)
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

omicron

Quote from: Raza  on July 31, 2008, 09:48:33 PM
I was going to get a 1979 Eldorado, but I just couldn't find one in the right color combination.

;)

It's so difficult to choose from such a wonderful range of vinyl roofs, seat fabrics and paint finishes, isn't it?

Vinsanity

tee hee you got a Jetta
(yeah I found this kinda late)

In any case, congrats. Getting a new car has always been an exciting experience for me, as often as I've done it in the past years. Kudos on the turbo and the stick shift. Those are the two things keeping your car distanced from the tired-out girl car rep the Jetta suffers.

FlatBlackCaddy

congrats, i guess.

I thought you told me that what you were going to get was a surprise?

I'm sure there is a child somewhere in africa that is surprised that you got another VW, but that's about it.

Tave

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on August 01, 2008, 11:26:10 AM
I'm sure there is a child somewhere in africa that is surprised that you got another VW, but that's about it.

:lol:

Raza

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on August 01, 2008, 11:26:10 AM
congrats, i guess.

I thought you told me that what you were going to get was a surprise?

It was a shock to me, honestly.  I drove the Jetta 2.5, and liked it, but wasn't impressed that much.  The GTI and GLI were more than I wanted to spend.  I thought I was going to get a Civic Si, but they were too expensive too (they wanted over $400 a month).  I thought about a standard Civic, but just didn't care enough to give it a shot; my local dealer is very rude, very poor, and I didn't want to give them my business anyway, unless they gave me an amazing deal. 

Don't worry though, the front runner for my next purchase (18-24 months from now) is a Honda!  I'd get a Nissan, but they're too crappy. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

I did some highway driving today, making sure to not stay at the same revs too long.  In top gear at 60mph, it still pulls hard. 

Damn, this is a flexible engine.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Raza  on August 01, 2008, 01:14:24 PM

It was a shock to me, honestly.  I drove the Jetta 2.5, and liked it, but wasn't impressed that much.  The GTI and GLI were more than I wanted to spend.  I thought I was going to get a Civic Si, but they were too expensive too (they wanted over $400 a month).  I thought about a standard Civic, but just didn't care enough to give it a shot; my local dealer is very rude, very poor, and I didn't want to give them my business anyway, unless they gave me an amazing deal. 

Don't worry though, the front runner for my next purchase (18-24 months from now) is a Honda!  I'd get a Nissan, but they're too crappy. 

Well you better start making threads now. Don't forget to pick all sorts of interesting fun cars and then later dismiss them for some "razaish" reason.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Raza  on August 01, 2008, 01:20:58 PM
I did some highway driving today, making sure to not stay at the same revs too long.  In top gear at 60mph, it still pulls hard. 

Damn, this is a flexible engine.

HIGH FIVE for flexablility

Vinsanity

Quote from: Raza  on August 01, 2008, 01:14:24 PM

I may have missed it earlier in the thread, but is the Jetta on a lease?

The Pirate

1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

CJ

Quote from: The Pirate on August 01, 2008, 02:32:32 PM
I say hello.

Fuck you.  That's what I was going to say!  :lol:

I wish someone in my extended family had a cool car.  Well, there's the Tahoe, Jag XJ Vanden Plas Supercharged LWB, 550i...and that's really it.  I my cousins just traded in their 2004 Saturn VUE for a 2008 Ford F-150 for $15,000 off.  The ONLY good thing on that Shaturn was the engine, a Honda V6.  The interior had fallen apart for the most part and there was paint starting to peel. 

Raza

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on August 01, 2008, 01:23:12 PM
Well you better start making threads now. Don't forget to pick all sorts of interesting fun cars and then later dismiss them for some "razaish" reason.

I'll start a thread in 1-5 months. 

Right now the top choice is the Honda S2000.  Good reliability, and as a used car, they're just too cheap to pass over without a second look.  I'd really, really want an Elise, but unless I get a massive bonus along the way, I don't think I'll be able to afford one.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: Vinsanity on August 01, 2008, 01:34:35 PM
I may have missed it earlier in the thread, but is the Jetta on a lease?

Yeah, the Wolf is a lease.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Raza  on August 01, 2008, 02:49:19 PM
I'll start a thread in 1-5 months. 

Right now the top choice is the Honda S2000.  Good reliability, and as a used car, they're just too cheap to pass over without a second look.  I'd really, really want an Elise, but unless I get a massive bonus along the way, I don't think I'll be able to afford one.

That's what i'm talking about, picking performance cars then dismiss them later because of practicality.

I'm sorry, but you wanted a EVO until you learned it had no cruise control. A EVO with no cruise is 10 times more usable on a daily basis than a Elise.

Tave

I've done without cruise control for a decade. On longer drives my heel hurts/numbs.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Raza

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on August 01, 2008, 02:52:02 PM
That's what i'm talking about, picking performance cars then dismiss them later because of practicality.

I'm sorry, but you wanted a EVO until you learned it had no cruise control. A EVO with no cruise is 10 times more usable on a daily basis than a Elise.

Well, it wouldn't be a daily driver anyway, it would be a weekend car.  It doesn't make sense for one person to own two sedans. 

Oh, I never mentioned this.  Since I'm transitioning away from my household, my dad is going to take the Box on fully soon (he pays for it anyway), which is why I'll be buying a sports car in 18-24 months. 

So with the Jetta, I don't really need something practical.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

FlatBlackCaddy

Well if you want to redeem yourself for buying another VW you should go out and get a arial atom.

Raza

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on August 01, 2008, 06:53:46 PM
Well if you want to redeem yourself for buying another VW you should go out and get a arial atom.

I'll buy one today. 

If you loan me the money.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

S204STi

Quote from: 93JC on July 31, 2008, 08:52:44 AM
In some mountainous US states 'Regular' is only 85 (R+M)/2. :lol:

85 in Colorado, the highest thing you can find short of 100 race fuel at like 3 stations in the entire state is 91.  Not cool if you drive an STI (93octane minimum, rather than 91 for the WRX).

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Raza  on August 01, 2008, 06:55:45 PM
I'll buy one today. 

If you loan me the money.

I would give you the money, i wouldn't even want you to pay me back.

I'm just worried you would go out and waste it on some VW product... :lol

Someday, when you have found the right path, i will give you the money.

Raza

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on August 01, 2008, 07:33:20 PM
I would give you the money, i wouldn't even want you to pay me back.

I'm just worried you would go out and waste it on some VW product... :lol

Someday, when you have found the right path, i will give you the money.

If you see the light and stop buying crappy Nissan products, I'll buy you a Veyron.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Raza  on August 01, 2008, 07:54:19 PM
If you see the light and stop buying crappy Nissan products, I'll buy you a Veyron.

My last three purchases haven't been nissans, and the last nissan i bought was the TT300ZX. I rest my case.

I'll send you a email with the color combination i want for the Veyron.

Is your email still hotVWgirl@yahoo.com

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Northlands

Jeez I'm late to the party here.

FWIW, I do like this new car you bought. That being said, I know the feeling of loss when you have to get rid of a car that's been faithful and treated you quite well over the years. My first car probably falls into that category, even though it was nothing to write home about. Since I was so young when I owned it, I used to beat on it like a red headed stepchild and it took it, and more. I put an enormous amount of miles on it, it drove me through snowstorms that most cars had no business even making it through, used it as "emergency transport " when friends of mine had car problems and were stranded on numerous occasions.

I could probably go on and on but I'm sure you get the point. Cars like that don't come around too often, so I can feel your pain.  Here's to the new Jetta!  :cheers:

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

The Pirate

Quote from: Northlands on August 02, 2008, 10:47:25 AM
Jeez I'm late to the party here.

FWIW, I do like this new car you bought. That being said, I know the feeling of loss when you have to get rid of a car that's been faithful and treated you quite well over the years. My first car probably falls into that category, even though it was nothing to write home about. Since I was so young when I owned it, I used to beat on it like a red headed stepchild and it took it, and more. I put an enormous amount of miles on it, it drove me through snowstorms that most cars had no business even making it through, used it as "emergency transport " when friends of mine had car problems and were stranded on numerous occasions.

I could probably go on and on but I'm sure you get the point. Cars like that don't come around too often, so I can feel your pain.  Here's to the new Jetta!  :cheers:

What type of car was it?
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

MX793

Quote from: R-inge on August 01, 2008, 07:25:02 PM
85 in Colorado, the highest thing you can find short of 100 race fuel at like 3 stations in the entire state is 91.  Not cool if you drive an STI (93octane minimum, rather than 91 for the WRX).

IIRC, STIs are 91 minimum, 93 recommended.  At least according to an '08 STI owner on another board I used to frequent.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5