Mercedes Ponders Move into Truck Biz

Started by BMWDave, May 10, 2005, 05:31:20 PM

BMWDave

Autoweek

Automotive DNA - Benz Test Bed: Mercedes ponders a move into the truck biz
GREG KABLE
Published Date: 5/9/05
Mercedes-Benz has become somewhat of a master in the art of identifying emerging markets and adjusting its lineup accordingly?look no further than the addition of such models as the A-, B- and M-Class to the traditional C-, E- and S-Class portfolio.

Add the emergence of the CLK, SLK, CLS and SLR in recent years and you begin to appreciate how far the folks in Stuttgart have gone in diversifying a range that a mere decade or so ago included just six model lines. The rate of growth has been staggering, with worldwide sales rocketing to more than 1 million annually as a result.

Mercedes isn?t done yet?signs are its new model expansion is just beginning. The biggest leap? That would be the automaker?s plans to produce a full-blown pickup truck.

Reports out of Germany suggest Mercedes is considering spinning a large, double-cab pickup off the upcoming G-Class (AW, April 11). We know this may sound ludicrous, but Cadillac has proven with the Escalade EXT that the demand for such a vehicle exists, even if it is limited to the North American market and is fairly small by comparison to other emerging segments.

The Mercedes-Benz R-Class goes on sale in the fall.

The idea, according to our traditionally well-informed sources, is to combine the cargo and hauling capabilities of a full-size, short-bed pickup truck with the luxurious inte-rior appointments and general sophistication of a high-end Mercedes-Benz sport/utility vehicle. Is there a higher-end SUV than the coming next-generation G-Wagen?

Among the engines under consideration for the Mercedes? pickup are a range of new four-valve V8s, including a 330-hp 4.6-liter and a 388-hp 5.5-liter, both channeling drive permanently to four wheels via Stuttgart?s seven-speed 7G-Tronic automatic transmission.

Also a possibility is the new 6.3-liter V8 that is under development at AMG as a replacement for today?s supercharged 5.4-liter V8. The new powerplant is rumored to produce 504 hp in production trim, trumping the Escalade?s 6.0-liter V8 by a country mile.

What else does Mercedes have up its sleeve? At the recent New York auto show the company showed the production R-Class that goes on sale this fall. Based on the same four-wheel-drive underpinnings as the second-generation M-Class and the next G-Class (they will be built side-by-side-by-side with the pickup at the Mercedes plant in Tuscaloosa, Alabama), this six-seat luxury sportwagon is a clear reaction to a trend in which buyers are abandoning traditional high-end sedans for roomier luxury SUV offerings and, if our sources are right, luxury Mercedes pickups.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

giant_mtb

I didn't read the article...but... I think they could do very well in the truck department.  They would deffinitely know what type of engine to put in it...and they'd have no trouble with choosing/prducing a diesel engine (since a lot of freight trucks have MB diesels in them and they have experience)...so yeah...I think they should do it.

ifcar

Slogan: The only pickup that makes the Ridgeline look pretty decent.  

giant_mtb

It's not that bad...

ifcar

It's not that bad...
You're right, it's worse.  <_<  

giant_mtb

It's not that bad...
Oh, stop it, Ifcar!  :P    Well, it's not ugly, but it's not especially pleasing either...just like all other MB cars...so yeah.  :praise:

BMWDave

It's not that bad...
Oh, stop it, Ifcar!  :P    Well, it's not ugly, but it's not especially pleasing either...just like all other MB cars...so yeah.  :praise:
I find it a nice and attractive truck!  I dont know why you find fault with it, Ifcar.

2007 Honda S2000

NomisR

BMWDave

QuoteI prefer this

a UNIMOG
Those things are beasts!!  Untouchable off road!

2007 Honda S2000

TurboDan

Whoa.  UNIMOGS rock!

This truck, on the other hand, doesn't.  It's sorta cool to look at, but why do automakers keep trying out trucks like these?  I think this will go the way of the Lincoln Blackwood.  Luxury pickup trucks (especially ones shaped like Subaru Bajas) won't fly.

ifcar

It's not that bad...
I find it a nice and attractive truck!  I dont know why you find fault with it, Ifcar.
I don't mind the front end, but the thick rearmost roof pillar next to the tall, short bed makes the pickup part of the vehicle look horrid.

Catman

Luxury pick-ups are dumb in my opinion.  A Lariet is all you need.  Merceded building a pick-up is just as ludicrous as Porsche building an SUV.  <_<  

thewizard16

QuoteLuxury pick-ups are dumb in my opinion.  A Lariet is all you need.  Merceded building a pick-up is just as ludicrous as Porsche building an SUV.  <_<
I agree. Well, not with the Lariat part,  :P , but about the luxury pickup issue. I think Mercedes would probably make a nice truck, I don't know how practical it'd be, (who really wants to do truck-ish things with a truck that expensive?) but it might sell a few. Still, I think it's stupid. I don't think the luxury truck segment is likely to be a very strong-selling area, when you can buy a F-150 (the Mark LT is pointless, in my opinion), Tundra Double, or Titan with some very nice options normally found on luxury vehicles for much less. Sure, they don't have brand prestige, but amongst people towing things, I really doubt anyone cares.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

BMWDave

It will be a very nice vehicle, and I think it would capture some loyal Mercedes buyers.  The only other thing in its class (sort of) would be the Escalade and Mark LT, which are much bigger than it and can probably tow more and be more useful.  I like the truck, I think its a nice idea, but I dont know how well it would do.

2007 Honda S2000

Why?

I am sure it would sell. The lure of the badge for some people is just too much. And it would be a segment where the slushbox would not be out of place.