VW Golf Mk VI official pics.

Started by Galaxy, August 04, 2008, 08:15:06 AM

Galaxy

Some one broke the embargo and now the flood gates are open.

Looks a bit like a Seat from the back and dare I say van like.

More info on the 6th.

ifcar

I don't like it. They sharpened it up from the rounder IV, and now they've smoothed out all the edges again. It doesn't seem to share anything with other VWs, except the Touareg taillights and the shape of the V (and there only because it's carrying over).

S204STi

I agree with Ifcar, I'm not diggin' it.  They took an aggressive styling theme in the front end and softened it, much like they ruined the Scirocco on its way from concept to reality.

Vinsanity

I like it better than the current model. Looks wise, at least.

I'm digging that seat upholstery color, too.

Danish

Yeah I think it looks better than the current model also
Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

Galaxy

Quote from: ifcar on August 04, 2008, 08:16:59 AM
I don't like it. They sharpened it up from the rounder IV, and now they've smoothed out all the edges again. It doesn't seem to share anything with other VWs, except the Touareg taillights and the shape of the V (and there only because it's carrying over).

This is the first car that was heavily influenced by the new head of design Walter de Silvia, whom Martin Winterkorn yanked with him when he became CEO of VW AG.  All VWs in the near future will get this design language.

There is an extended interview with him in the current edition of Auto Motor und Sport. This is what he said about the different Golfs (my translation).

Hartmut Warku? achieved a design (the MK IV), whose lines and surfaces where perfect. We looked at the Golf IV with awe because it was an almost perfect sculpture, a compact formal form without interruptions. The car is logical. I felt emotions for this clarity. I do not want to criticize the other Golf designs, they where all cars which had big market success. But they did not have the same precision and  quality. The shapes and the lines where not as exact as they where with the Golf IV.         

Galaxy

I do agree with de Silvia about the Mk IV. It may be aged now, but when I first saw it at the Frankfurt Motor Show in 1997 I looked at the car and in the first second loved the design.

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: ifcar on August 04, 2008, 08:16:59 AM

I disagree.  I see a lot of Scirocco influence, both inside and out.

The only thing that concerns me is whether it is bigger than the current car.  I can't really tell from the pictures.

It is an improvement over the MkV in looks, but doesn't have the magic of the MkIV unfortunately.  OTOH, everyone who has seen the Scirocco seems to think pictures don't do it justice.  Maybe this car will be the same, like the new Ibiza.

sportyaccordy

MKIV was oogly (outside of the R32)

MKIII was the beauty of the line

This new one looks like a minivan/crossover

280Z Turbo

2o6

This is a new Generation? How Lazy. They sharpened the edges, and gave it a Shairocacco (sp.......) face. If was just called a facelift, then it'd be different.

Vinsanity

Quote from: 2o6 on August 04, 2008, 03:14:19 PM
This is a new Generation? How Lazy. They sharpened the edges, and gave it a Shairocacco (sp.......) face. If was just called a facelift, then it'd be different.

how would you have designed it?

2o6

Quote from: Vinsanity on August 04, 2008, 03:58:59 PM

A lot different. The General Shape is exactly the same........the Proportions.....everything. It looks more like a facelift of the car, rather than a new car.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Vinsanity on August 04, 2008, 03:58:59 PM

He would have made it look like a dustbuster van from the 90's.

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Raza

I like it.  It adds in some of the Scirocco elements to the front end. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

93JC

Quote from: sportyaccordy on August 04, 2008, 12:53:52 PM
MKIV was oogly (outside of the R32)

MKIII was the beauty of the line

:confused:

You been dipping into my stash of crack?

Mk. III was easily the oogliest. Mk. IV was boring but not particular oogly.

the Teuton

+3.  I like it as well.  It looks like a Mk. V with some modern flair.  I liked the 5 more than the 6.

Am I getting these numbers right?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

ifcar

Quote from: 93JC on August 04, 2008, 06:19:08 PM
:confused:

You been dipping into my stash of crack?

Mk. III was easily the oogliest. Mk. IV was boring but not particular oogly.

I thought that was a pretty sharp version, particularly for 1993. It may be my pick for best-looking Golf, too.

JYODER240

I like it and I'm not usually a big fan of hatches.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

cawimmer430

It looks really sporty whereas the current one looks so bland. The headlights remind me of the this generation Golf:

Subtly aggressive yet also classy in a subtle way.  :ohyeah:

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

AltinD

Quote from: 2o6 on August 04, 2008, 04:03:55 PM

A lot different. The General Shape is exactly the same........the Proportions.....everything. It looks more like a facelift of the car, rather than a new car.

The 6th generation was not rushed prematurily to production because the previous one was a failure, but because they needed a flexible car, both in structur and during the manufacturing process.

It's all about cost cutting.

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

93JC

So, uh... Is this or is this not a facelift of the current car? It looks like a facelift.

AltinD

Quote from: 93JC on August 05, 2008, 11:29:43 AM
So, uh... Is this or is this not a facelift of the current car? It looks like a facelift.

No, it's not a facelist ... it's a brand new generation.

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

ifcar

That's a Ford-style redesign: change the front and rear end and leave the middle the same.

2008 Taurus
2008 Escape
2007 Expedition
2006 Explorer
2004 Freestar
2000 Taurus

93JC

To be fair the Mk VI body panels don't look exactly alike, and probably don't swap over. The doors look completely different at the rocker panels, for instance.

The shape and proportions look pretty much the same though, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's a complete re-skin of the Mk V chassis.

So it's more of a GM-, Toyota- or Honda-style redesign: keep the underlying mechanics of the old car, slap a new body on it and call it brand spanking new.

ifcar

It looks the same to me. I think the GTI photo's colors are just obscuring things.

But even if there is minor skin change, the shape of the entire midsection is the same. Honda or Toyota may keep some platform components, but the car is going to be completely reshaped.

S204STi

Meh, the only good looking VW ever was the MkI Rabbit GTI anyway. :tounge: