GREG KABLE
Published Date: 7/25/05
2006 PORSCHE CAYMAN S
ON SALE: Spring
BASE PRICE: $59,695
POWERTRAIN: 3.4-liter, 295-hp, 251-lb-ft H6; rwd, six-speed manual
CURB WEIGHT: 3152 lbs
0 TO 62 MPH: 5.4 seconds (mfr.)

It?s 4 p.m. and Table Bay in Cape Town, South Africa, swelters. It is closing in on 92 degrees?beach weather to the tourists, but in our hotel?s underground garage it?s a more agreeable 67. Or so it says on the Cayman S?s temperature display.

In the driver?s seat of the new Porsche coupe for the first time, we slip the key into its traditional spot to the left of the steering wheel and fire up the car?s engine. Nudge the throttle and a hard metallic blare echoes off the bare concrete walls. The exhaust note, deep and baritone, is unmistakably that of a horizontally opposed six. Helmut Widmaier, Cayman project leader, settles in alongside. ?Sounds familiar, doesn?t it?? he remarks.

Ever since word filtered out Porsche was planning a two-seat mid-engine coupe based on the second-generation Boxster, we?ve itched to drive it. Are those figures suggesting it laps the N?rburgring faster than a 911 Carrera correct? Is Zuffenhausen?s latest really as good as we?ve heard?

We?re here with Porsche?s development team, taking part in a final Cayman S durability test before its September debut at the Frankfurt show. The prototypes we?ve flown 12 hours from Europe to drive are hand-built to showroom specification. Estimated value? More than $1 million. Each. The idea is to push them hard over a variety of roads. It?s clearly not going to be as taxing as hot-weather testing in Death Valley or in Finland?s subzero temperatures. It?s more about confirming the 1.25 million miles already logged have yielded the results Porsche was after.

?We?ve done a lot of mileage, first with the Boxster and then the Cayman, so we?re pretty confident there?ll be no major problems,? says Widmaier.

Inching out of the parking garage we emerge into bright sunlight. The two-way radio crackles with static as we run along wide city streets and then out onto highways heading east. Except for some superficial disguise adorning the nose and tail, the prototype we?re driving is faithful to the production Cayman S.

On smooth asphalt the low-speed ride is commendably compliant. This blue prototype runs optional 19-inch rubber, which doesn?t help the ride much, but there is no real impact harshness. You?d have no trouble using the Cayman daily. Even at higher speeds through Cape Peninsula National Park, where the road deteriorates badly, there?s enough compliance to soak up the rough spots.

In a bid to justify the premium price (almost $60,000 before options), Porsche has given this new mid-engine coupe a unique name and a unique engine. The 3386-cc flat-six shares its design with the 3179-cc unit from the Boxster S and the larger 3596-cc mill from the rear-engine 911 Carrera, taking the 78-mm stroke of the former and combining it with the 96-mm bore of the latter. With VarioCam Plus providing continuous adjustment of the inlet and exhaust valves, it kicks out 295 hp and 251 lb-ft of torque between 4400 and 6000 rpm. These figures represent improvement on the Boxster S?s 277 hp and 236 lb-ft, but stop short of the 911 Carrera?s 321 hp and 273 lb-ft.

Sending drive to the rear wheels is a standard six-speed manual gearbox. It?s a delight to use?firm without being recalcitrant when rapid shifts are called for and direct between the gates.

We find ourselves dropping down a couple of gears more often than necessary, simply to sample the engine?s alluring acoustics. While reminiscent of the tune the Boxster plays, the Cayman S delivers a soundtrack all its own. Unobtrusive down low, the engine takes on a harder edge at 3500 rpm. The note hardens more at 4700 rpm, as a resonance valve in the inlet manifold closes before reaching a whining mechanical crescendo just short of that 7000-rpm redline. Probing visits to the limiter are a regular occurrence as we leave Simon?s Town to begin a climb westward to Scarborough.

By the end of the first day we?re left with little doubt the new car is more than a fixed-roof Boxster. It might share some 40 percent of the Boxster?s components, but this coupe has a distinctive on-road character.

The trick for Porsche will be not so much to convince Audi TT, Mercedes-Benz SLK and Nissan 350Z owners to trade up as it will be to deter 911 owners from trading down to the cheaper but arguably more driver-oriented Cayman.

Next day, heading southwest to Gordon?s Bay we get another chance to stretch the car?s legs. The new engine?s capacity might be only 207 cubic centimeters up on the Boxster S, but it gives the impression of being more muscular and responsive. As Porsche intended, the performance falls midway between the Boxster S and the 911 Carrera.

Weighing 3152 pounds, the Cayman S boasts a power-to-weight ratio squarely centered between the two. Porsche claims 0 to 62 mph (100 km/h) in 5.4 seconds and a 171-mph top speed. The official Boxster S figures are 5.5 seconds and 166 mph respectively, with the 911 Carrera at 5.0 and 177.

Before long, coastal vegetation gives way to lush mountain terrain. The Franschhoek Pass, rising to 2440 feet, is not long at about five miles. But if any road is going to tell us about the Cayman?s dynamic qualities, Franschhoek Pass is it.

It?s immediately apparent Porsche was right to think the Boxster chassis could handle the added power and torque. The basic geometry remains unchanged, though the springs and shocks are stiffened slightly, the antiroll bars increased in diameter, and the bushings altered.

We?re driving hard, testing the Cayman S?s poise, agility and control. It?s a car you can push to the limits with supreme confidence. Lift off mid-corner and it tucks back into line with no theatrics. It?s not only adroitness that makes the handling so agreeable, but the superb traction out of corners.

There is enough power to provoke naughty power slides, once an initial penchant to run the nose wide is overcome. A standard Porsche Stability Management system ensures sideways action is quickly reined in, though we switch it off to delve further into the Cayman?s dynamics.

The biggest surprise is just how solid the Cayman feels. The fixed roof provides practicality and a silhouette resembling the 911?s earlier incarnations, and boosts torsional rigidity to 911-like levels.

Backing it all up is brilliant steering, shared with the Boxster, that is enhanced by the more rigid chassis. Load up the steering and it responds faithfully, with wonderful weight at turn-in. Kickback doesn?t corrupt it when the surface turns nasty, and it self-centers with enthusiasm.

With the standard 12.5-inch front and 11.8-inch rear steel rotors, this car?s stopping ability is astonishing. When you stand on the Cayman S?s middle pedal, the effect is like landing in a jet plane when the pilot engages its reverse thrusters.

Later we run the pass again, and the Cayman?s dynamic focus rises to the fore. There is sensitivity to the driving experience that makes you feel totally connected with the car. Hooked into a corner, the Cayman?s body remains flat and those 19-inch tires?235/35 up front and 265/35 at the rear?provide huge grip. Widmaier says the car?s center of gravity is up about half an inch over the Boxster, owing to the roof structure and the large rear window.

After a full afternoon of driving we find ourselves on a road that winds its way along the Atlantic coastline, past the seaside townships of Clifton, Bantry Bay and Green Point. We cruise through town, peering sideways into shop fronts to catch an occasional glimpse of the car?s silhouette.

The Cayman looks better in the metal than it does in most photographs. Whatever you think of former Porsche design boss Harm Lagaay?s efforts in creating a coupe to stand alongside the iconic 911, the look?much like that exhaust note?is unmistakably Porsche. It?s a pity it is so wrought with Boxster cues.

The interior also borrows heavily from Boxster. From the seatbacks forward the two are identical, save for the shape of the instrument binnacle. The businesslike design lacks the flamboyance of some rivals, but the finish is first-rate. The mid-engine layout does not permit more than two seats, but Porsche uses the space freed up over the engine for a parcel shelf capable of swallowing up to nine cubic-feet of luggage, almost double the Boxster?s rear cargo space. Both vehicles offer a 5.3-cubic-foot cubbyhole under the front decklid. Not since the demise of the 968 has a Porsche sports car proven so practical.

Before we?re done, the engineers have found a small rattle in the hatchback and massaged a fix by changing the rubber compound on some seals. This close to production, it?s down to minor details?they?ve got the major elements in the bag.

On our final morning, leaving Cape Town, we get a further reminder of the potency of the Cayman S?s engine. Throughout, however, the thing that keeps impressing is its engaging chassis. Over twisty mountain roads lined with huge boulders and sheer cliffs, the Cayman is simply awesome.

It doesn?t feel like a Boxster. It?s sharper, more focused. The performance is clearly a notch or two above the car with which it shares so much and alongside which it will be built at Porsche partner Valmet?s assembly plant in Finland.

Call it the enthusiast?s choice.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

ifcar

"The trick for Porsche will be not so much to convince Audi TT, Mercedes-Benz SLK and Nissan 350Z owners to trade up as it will be to deter 911 owners from trading down to the cheaper but arguably more driver-oriented Cayman."

That shouldn't be a problem. Image and styling represent enough of the reasoning behind buying a Porsche that there should be room for both cars.

Raza

There's a reason the 911 is the 911, and it stays rear engined. It's not supposed to be a sports car.  It's a GT with excellent handling.  Chances are that 911 buyers won't trade down for this, because there are few things in the world better than owning a 911.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

CaseyNPham

QuoteThere's a reason the 911 is the 911, and it stays rear engined. It's not supposed to be a sports car.  It's a GT with excellent handling.  Chances are that 911 buyers won't trade down for this, because there are few things in the world better than owning a 911.
hmm... I think a Quattroporte would be better... Aw heck, I'll take both!!

Why the tape and stuff?
Quoteand then caseyNpham got a 17 incher up his 'umbrella stand' and then he screamed like a little

TBR

Still would take either a 911 or a Boxster over this.

R33 GT-R

I will stick to progression, this over boxster and 911 over this.
Dubbed:  Skanky Whore!

Raghavan

NomisR

It needs a V8!!!! :P
A Corvette or Stang will own it!!!!!!!!!!  For less money too....  :D

Raza

QuoteThere's a reason the 911 is the 911, and it stays rear engined. It's not supposed to be a sports car.  It's a GT with excellent handling.  Chances are that 911 buyers won't trade down for this, because there are few things in the world better than owning a 911.

Why the tape and stuff?
A Quattroporte is not a GT car. It's a rather fast (and quirky) sedan that offers no distinct advantages over many of its competitors other than its exclusivity and Italian-ness.  Which means a high price tag, low quality interior, and reliability that makes the Brits look good.

What tape and stuff?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TBR

QuoteThere's a reason the 911 is the 911, and it stays rear engined. It's not supposed to be a sports car.  It's a GT with excellent handling.  Chances are that 911 buyers won't trade down for this, because there are few things in the world better than owning a 911.

Why the tape and stuff?
A Quattroporte is not a GT car. It's a rather fast (and quirky) sedan that offers no distinct advantages over many of its competitors other than its exclusivity and Italian-ness.  Which means a high price tag, low quality interior, and reliability that makes the Brits look good.

What tape and stuff?
I would think that handling and performance would be considered advantages. And, where did you get this cheap interior nonsense?  

ifcar

Its competitors are also fast and agile cars. Its primary advantage is style.

Raza

Why the tape and stuff?

What tape and stuff?
I would think that handling and performance would be considered advantages. And, where did you get this cheap interior nonsense?
The Quattroporte has a nicer and better built interior than the Maser Coupe and Spyder (in which I've never read a review that didn't mention the glove box door either not closing, opening by itself, or fully falling off), but it is not up to the standards of the Merc S class, BMW 7 series, and definitely not the Audi A8.  Dynamically, a BMW 760i will handle just as well as the Quattroporte, and as I've gathered, take the bumpy stuff much better.  As I recall, Fifth Gear said the car and its awkward transmission are too muhc in the area of a luxury saloon and a track car that it doesn't excel in either category.  It's too harsh to be a true luxury saloon, and the awful transmission certainly doesn't help, and as a sports car it fails to give the proper responses that a similarly priced coupe would, such as the Porsche 911.  The main advantage to buying a Maser Quattroporte, if you're an average 100 grand car buyer, is the name Maserati emblazoned across the back.  It's my personal favorite in the segment, but that doesn't mean it's the best.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

BMWDave

The tranny is only bad when put in automatic mode.  I have heard no such complaints when its used manually.

2007 Honda S2000

Raza

QuoteThe tranny is only bad when put in automatic mode.  I have heard no such complaints when its used manually.
The average buyer wouldn't bother to use it manually.  In this segment, the automatic transmission rules.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

Why the tape and stuff?

What tape and stuff?
The Quattroporte has a nicer and better built interior than the Maser Coupe and Spyder (in which I've never read a review that didn't mention the glove box door either not closing, opening by itself, or fully falling off), but it is not up to the standards of the Merc S class, BMW 7 series, and definitely not the Audi A8.  Dynamically, a BMW 760i will handle just as well as the Quattroporte, and as I've gathered, take the bumpy stuff much better.  As I recall, Fifth Gear said the car and its awkward transmission are too muhc in the area of a luxury saloon and a track car that it doesn't excel in either category.  It's too harsh to be a true luxury saloon, and the awful transmission certainly doesn't help, and as a sports car it fails to give the proper responses that a similarly priced coupe would, such as the Porsche 911.  The main advantage to buying a Maser Quattroporte, if you're an average 100 grand car buyer, is the name Maserati emblazoned across the back.  It's my personal favorite in the segment, but that doesn't mean it's the best.
That is odd, I've never heard a complaint about the glove box of any new Maserati, though I have heard bad things about the ergonomics, but it is Italian after all. And, I agree that the tranismission was a stupid choice, but the word is that the V12 version will get a real automatic.  

Raza

Bad ergonomics in a saloon that hopes to compete with Mercedes, Audi, and BMW is not acceptable...even in an Italian.  Bad ergonomics in a sports car is fine--better, even--but not in a luxury saloon.  Stop forgiving Italian automakers for selling crappy cars that are losing their soul and they'll stop selling them and start making automobiles like the Dino, Miura, and Ghibli again.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

I don't see how anyone but Lamborghini is designing cars that don't have souls. And, I have never said that I heard bad things about the Quattroporte's ergonomics, either way they can't be worse than the 7's are.

Raza

QuoteI don't see how anyone but Lamborghini is designing cars that don't have souls. And, I have never said that I heard bad things about the Quattroporte's ergonomics, either way they can't be worse than the 7's are.
The 7er's isn't all that bad.  Lamborghini and Ferrari both make cars with less soul than they used to--now Ferrari is selling and marketing the shit out of their F1 trans, they build cars without any beauty to them--where's the art in the 430?  The 360 still had some art to it, but the Enzo, the 430, the 612, and what I've seen of the 575 replacement all have artless designs.  It's a fabled marque, yes, but for how long?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

NomisR

QuoteI don't see how anyone but Lamborghini is designing cars that don't have souls. And, I have never said that I heard bad things about the Quattroporte's ergonomics, either way they can't be worse than the 7's are.
The 7er's isn't all that bad.  Lamborghini and Ferrari both make cars with less soul than they used to--now Ferrari is selling and marketing the shit out of their F1 trans, they build cars without any beauty to them--where's the art in the 430?  The 360 still had some art to it, but the Enzo, the 430, the 612, and what I've seen of the 575 replacement all have artless designs.  It's a fabled marque, yes, but for how long?
Lamborghinis never had "soul".  All they were are fast looking cars that can go really fast in the straight line, there's no heritage, no racing spirit, no handling (especially older ones).  It was just meant to go really fast to compete with Ferraris.  NSX has more soul than any Lamborghini.  

R33 GT-R

I floated a turd earlier that had more soul than GM.
Dubbed:  Skanky Whore!

TBR

Just because the styling isn't your taste doesn't mean they don't have soul. But, I will agree that the trend to F1 style trannies is disturbing, before long manuals will be nothing but token options :(.  

Raza

Just because the styling isn't your taste doesn't mean they don't have soul. But, I will agree that the trend to F1 style trannies is disturbing, before long manuals will be nothing but token options :(.
It's not that it's not to my taste--there's no soul, and that's why I'm not into the 430.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

CaseyNPham

Without any beauty? IMO, every carmaker HAS to make newer and fresher designs that are differentiated from their predecessors in some way. They can't keep the same design for too long. Porsches have had the same shape since forever but the design gets more modern each time and people who like older models will just have to deal with it.

Ferrari knows they have to keep making fresher designs, and I have no idea what you're talking about when you say the designs are "artless." You don't just go up to an Enzo and say "hmm... It's a performer but it's just so ugly!" If I really like something, I could forgive a small thing like the "artless" deisgns of modern cars, cause nothing stays the same.

I swear this better not start a flame war.
Quoteand then caseyNpham got a 17 incher up his 'umbrella stand' and then he screamed like a little

TBR

It's not that it's not to my taste--there's no soul, and that's why I'm not into the 430.
Why do you think it doesn't have soul?  

Raza

God, you can't tell just by looking at it?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Without any beauty? IMO, every carmaker HAS to make newer and fresher designs that are differentiated from their predecessors in some way. They can't keep the same design for too long. Porsches have had the same shape since forever but the design gets more modern each time and people who like older models will just have to deal with it.

Ferrari knows they have to keep making fresher designs, and I have no idea what you're talking about when you say the designs are "artless." You don't just go up to an Enzo and say "hmm... It's a performer but it's just so ugly!" If I really like something, I could forgive a small thing like the "artless" deisgns of modern cars, cause nothing stays the same.

I swear this better not start a flame war.
If you were to say that about the Enzo, you wouldn't be the first.  And certainly not the last.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

BMWDave

Obviously not :lol:  

2007 Honda S2000

Raza

Obviously not :lol:
To me, the 430 is to the 360 as the C6 is to the C5.  

:(  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

Exactly what I thought, you think it doesn't have soul because of the way it looks. Well, some people, including myself, think it looks great. So, "Just because the styling isn't your taste doesn't mean they don't have soul.".

Raza

Exactly what I thought, you think it doesn't have soul because of the way it looks. Well, some people, including myself, think it looks great. So, "Just because the styling isn't your taste doesn't mean they don't have soul.".
It's not that I don't like it, even though I don't.  There's no care or love in the design.  There are no swooping curves, no feeling.  It's a car that looks good because it was designed to look good--that's all.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i