Van Woes

Started by AutobahnSHO, August 05, 2008, 08:07:20 PM

AutobahnSHO

So last week I did the general maintenance on the van- ALL of the filters and rear brake adjustment, including bleeding the brakes.

Sunday and today the serpentine belt is SCREECHING and when it's not screeching there's a low hum.   
:lockedup:   :rage:   :hammerhead:   :banghead:

I'll have to go get it diagnosed and spend another Saturday wrenching- I used to halfway enjoy getting familiar with my cars, but nowadays I work 0440 to 1800hrs, with the prospect of working occasional 12hr shifts on weekends soon....   :(

Will

S204STi

That really sucks Will...

What state do you live in again?  Just curious, I wish I could come and actually help you out.

FWIW, take a look and see if you have a broken or seized tensioner or idler pulley.

AutobahnSHO

Augusta, Georgia.

That was my first instinct- everything LOOKED like it was ok, but I'll look at it more closely today.
Will

S204STi

Georgia is a long way for here...sorry.

AutobahnSHO

hehe No prob- I appreciate the online help: I get the work done EVENTUALLY..

So the rear is making loud grinding noises now ONLY when sharp cornering (low speed.) Not when braking.
I had to bang and bang to get the drums off, did I mess up the bearings??

------------------------------------------------------

And the belt problems seem to be gone: I listened closely and couldn't hear anything-
Except when I turn the AC off it's a little quieter, the compressor seems to be rattling and making a little bit of noise, but nothing major.
Will