Mercedes R350 Review

Started by BMWDave, July 25, 2005, 05:32:31 AM

TBR

Once again, have you seen similar graphics for other suvs?  

ifcar

It's not a "large SUV" any more than the Freestyle is.

And I can tell you that seat height is crucial to seat comfort, and the R-Class's, like the SRX's and GX's, is right on the floor, and the Expedition's is much higher and better-angled.

TBR

QuoteIt's not a "large SUV" any more than the Freestyle is.

And I can tell you that seat height is crucial to seat comfort, and the R-Class's, like the SRX's and GX's, is right on the floor, and the Expedition's is much higher and better-angled.
You said yourself that that angle is poor, at a different angle it probably looks higher, and the R-class is longer than the Escalde, so is the Escalade not a full size suv only?

ifcar

And a Freestyle is longer than a Tahoe. Is it not a full-sized SUV?

And let me refer back to this little gem to show how high the seat is:

Compared to this:

See a difference?

TBR

First, how do you know that drawing is accurate? Second, have you seen a similar drawing for the Expedition?

ifcar

If you had doubts as to the drawing's accuracy, you shouldn't have posted it as part of your own argument. Also, if you required a similar drawing of a competitor to prove your point, you shouldn't have posted it as part of your argument. Double standard, anyone?

Either way, it is entirely obvious how much higher the Expedition's seat is from the floor than the R's, based on both the graphic and the image.  

TBR

Yes, from the pictures we have it does appear as if the Expeditions seat is higher, but you should wait until you seat on it before you make a final judgement. It does compete with large suvs.  

ifcar

QuoteYes, from the pictures we have it does appear as if the Expeditions seat is higher, but you should wait until you seat on it before you make a final judgement. It does compete with large suvs.
There is clearly a significant difference. If you don't want to believe that, you can wait until you get a chance to sit in one to compare.

And if the R350 competes with full-size SUVs, so does the Freestyle.

TBR

I have no problem grouping the Freestyle with large suvs.  

ifcar

What about a Pacifica or TrailBlazer EXT? Are they full-size SUVs as well, just because of their length?

TBR

The Pacifica isn't a suv period (though neither are the Freestyle or R-class really) and the EXT is definitely a large suv.

ifcar

QuoteThe Pacifica isn't a suv period (though neither are the Freestyle or R-class really) and the EXT is definitely a large suv.
The EXT is only a long midsize, it's four inches narrower than a Tahoe. And if you don't consider the R-Class an SUV, why did you call it a full-size SUV for the last few dozen posts?

TBR

I said it compared to fullsize suvs, not that it necessarily is a fullsize suv (though I did call it fullsize). And, length is the important measurement to me and if I recall correctly the EXT is as long as the Suburban or close to it.

ifcar

No, there's a 12-inch length difference between them. And while I agree that length is probably the most important, it certainly isn't the only factor. A longer midsize SUV is still a midsize SUV.

BTW, the SRX is also longer than the Tahoe, so I suppose it and the R-Class are both full-size?

TBR

No it isn't:

Cadillac SRX- 194.9 inches
Chevrolet Tahoe- 198.8  inches

Both numbers are from MSN autos.

ifcar

I'm looking at Consumer Guide and seeing a half-inch in difference. <_<

TBR

ifcar

ifcar

GM agrees with your figures. I don't know where Consumer Guide was pulling theirs from.