Mercedes R350 Review

Started by BMWDave, July 25, 2005, 05:32:31 AM

BMWDave

Link

Mercedes R350  

When it comes to new models, you can rely on Mercedes to stay a step ahead of its rivals. In the last seven years, the firm has beaten Audi and BMW to the debut of a small car with the A-Class, an off-roader with its M-Class, a four-door coup? in the shape of the CLS and a compact MPV with the B-Class.

Now, the R-Class - on sale in the UK in spring 2006 - is the firm's next groundbreaking model. A luxury people carrier which is the same size as an S-Class, it aims to attract well heeled buyers who want space and flexibility, but not an off-roader.

Prices are yet to be confirmed, but should start at around ?40,000 for the 'entry-level' R320 CDI rising to ?55,000 for the R500. Without any direct rivals, it is hoped buyers will be tempted from prestige SUVs, estates and saloons. But is the concept of a luxury people carrier a niche too far?

In the flesh, the R-Class is an imposing machine. With its vast dimensions, wide grille and bold headlights, there is no confusing the Merc for anything else.

As you would expect, interior space is vast. Mounted in three rows of two, the six individual seats boast leg, head and shoulder room unmatched by anything other than Renault's Grand Espace. What's more, the second and third rows slide to leave nearly a metre of legroom.

There is been no skimping on lux-ury either. The seats are beautifully trimmed and comfortable, while options include a DVD/CD player and a multi- zone air-con system for passengers in the rear. The R-Class is practical, too, offering 2,057 litres of luggage space with the four rear seats folded flat.

Underneath the skin lies a sophisticated chassis from the new M-Class off-roader. And with four-wheel drive, traction and stability control, plus air-suspension at the rear, the R-Class rides well and feels secure on the road. But it is more suited to motorway cruising than cornering, where its size and weight count against it. Response from the 272bhp 3.5-litre V6 feels sluggish, despite the smooth-shifting 7G-TRONIC seven-speed automatic gear- box. The more torquey, frugal 3.0-litre CDI diesel is likely to perform better.

It is no surprise that the majority of R-Class' sales will be in the US, where its vast dimensions are perhaps more suited. But there are few better ways of transporting passengers in comfort.

Jorg Maltzen

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

TBR

I love this vehicle, it is the perfect family vehicle for affluent families.

Colonel Cadillac

I would rather have a station wagon, but this seems like a perfect alternative for those who don't want the draw-backs of the SUV, but would prefer a bigish car with family in mind.  

TBR

No convential wagon has that much room. That said, the R-class is just as much a wagon as it is a suv (and don't even think of calling it a minivan, you will have MB PR guys all over you ;)).

ifcar

QuoteI love this vehicle, it is the perfect family vehicle for affluent families.
There is no "perfect" car for any one sizeable group of individuals.

TBR

You know what I mean.  

ifcar

It is still overpriced for what it is, like virtually every other Mercedes.  

TBR

Not really, no other brand offers a similar vehicle to compare it, but if you look at the prices of premium suvs that offer 3rd rows you will discover that the R350 really isn't a bad deal at all, and it will beat them all in the long run (can't beat MB resale value).

ifcar

Really? You can't spend $70,000 on a Cadillac SRX, or even full-size utes like the Navigator or Land Cruiser.

TBR

I said R350, not R500. And, the fullsizers are the only ones that have even close to as much space.  

ifcar

An SRX V6 is less expensive sticker, and a Lexus GX470, even with a V8, is about the same.

TBR

Are those fullsize?  :rolleyes: Is either one as fast as the R350?  :rolleyes:  

ifcar

Is the R-Class full-sized? No. Do you have a 0-60 comparison of the cars? If so, I'd like to see it. They need to either be from the same source or have a radical difference.

Also, where did you say that the cars I mentioned either had to be full-sized (you said "premium SUV with a third row") or anything about acceleration?

TBR

Actually, I guess they are, but the GX470 isn't any faster than the R350 even though it has a V8 compared to the R's V6.

TBR

QuoteIs the R-Class full-sized? No. Do you have a 0-60 comparison of the cars? If so, I'd like to see it. They need to either be from the same source or have a radical difference.
Maybe the outside isn't, but the inside certainly is:

ifcar

No, it's just long compared to its height. And that's a tiny third row, you can see the figure person with his knees at his ribcage, his head against the roofliner, and thighs twice as long as the seat. No advantage there.

TBR

The rear seat is bigger than that of the SRX (and no smaller than that of the Expedition really) and has much more room behind it. Of you get C/D look at the R-class preview in the August 2005 issue, I would scan the picture I am talking about but the computer with the scanner is occupied and I am having difficulty finding that specific issue.  

ifcar

QuoteThe rear seat is bigger than that of the SRX (and no smaller than that of the Expedition really) and has much more room behind it. Of you get C/D look at the R-class preview in the August 2005 issue, I would scan the picture I am talking about but the computer with the scanner is occupied and I am having difficulty finding that specific issue.
That's fine, I get C/D so I can look it up.

And without a comparison pic to the SRX or GX, how can you say for sure that it isn't the same size? And it isn't close to the Expedition either in seat size or space. The Expedition's seat is roomy enough for adult comfort, and the adult in the image you provided is unlikely to be comfortable.

TBR

I wasn't particularly comfortable after in the Expeditions rear seat and I am only 5'11" I have a hard time believing that this rear seat would be any different:

ifcar

This the pic you meant?

Not only can you see how low and small the seat is, but the perspective is distorted to make it appear roomier than it is, and the middle seats were probably moved as well.

Just look at the diagram image that you posted and you can tell that is not a seat close to comfortable.

ifcar

QuoteI wasn't particularly comfortable after in the Expeditions rear seat and I am only 5'11" I have a hard time believing that this rear seat would be any different:
If you weren't comfortable in the Exped's 3rd row, you won't be happy in anything short of a minivan. The Expedition's third row seat is almost inarguably the roomiest of any SUV, and this clearly isn't close.

TBR

TBR

A better picture of the Expeditions 3rd row:

So, now that you know what the other 3rd rows look like in pictures do you still think the R350's is in the midsize class?

ifcar

The R350's seat appears no better than the SRX's or GX's. It appears roomier because of the pic angle and because the seat itself is smaller, but that's it.

Here's a better pic of the Expedition's third row:

Notice that it is not sitting on the floor the way the others' are, so you don't have to sit with your head between your knees.  

ifcar

And BTW, the Ford Freestyle has a very roomy third row seat. Does that mean it's not a midsize?

TBR

That means it can be cross shopped with the bigger utes, but it is midsize in exterior dimensions. As far as the R goes, I am having trouble finding another pic of the 3rd row, but I can guarantee you that it will certainly be roomier than those of the SRX and GX470.

ifcar

That pic shows everything that it has to. The tiny seat makes more space between it and the middle-row seatbacks, but occupants are sitting the same way no matter what: head against roofliner and knees in the air.  

TBR

Have you seen a similar picture for the other vehicles in question? Nope.

"Let?s put it in perspective. The R-Class is big. The wagon is 5 inches longer than the full-size Cadillac Escalade truck, giving the R class-leading third row room."
http://www.autoblog.com/entry/1234000540037914/

TBR

"The R-Class is designed to provide ample room for six adults and is five inches longer than a Cadillac Escalade and ten inches longer than a Cadillac SRX, with 34 inches between the first and second rows, and 30 inches between the second and third rows."
http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/futuremo...id=&usage=Image

"The three rows of seating are very well executed. The second-row seats are essentially captain's chairs, and there's a walkthrough between them to the rear row, unless you get the optional center console. Even the two rearmost seats are pretty comfortable for adults, and there's almost 10 cubic feet of luggage room behind them. Of course, the second- and third-row seats fold down."
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drive...rticleId=106456

"What's most van-like about the R is its floor plan-three rows of seats that coddle a six-pack of adults in the sort of comfort and luxury one has come to expect frin Nercedes, The driver's row has the look and feel of an S-class sedan, and the second row is about as spacious, with seats that adjust fore-and-aft as well as recline. The third row is roomier than that found in moust suvs and is fairly easy to get in."
August 2005 Car and Driver

"The long wheelbase means that the third-row seats will accomodate adults just as easily as kids"
August 2005 Road and Track

ifcar

Just look at the graphic you posted, and tell me if that adult looks "coddled". I stand by my previous assertions that "First Drives" and "Previews" are little more than regurgitated press releases.