Spy Shots: '07 Nissan Teana

Started by BMWDave, July 25, 2005, 12:54:31 PM

BMWDave

These spy photos reveal what appears to be a new large sedan destined for Nissan's model-range - essentially a competitor for the Toyota Avalon - testing in the Southwest desert. This prototype is clearly based on the Japanese-market Nissan Teana, a large sedan that slots in just below the Nissan Fuga in Japan (the U.S. version of the Fuga is the Infiniti M35/M45).  

The key here is that this prototype is left-hand drive (LHD). The Teana is only available in right-hand drive for the Japanese market, and its interior is an old-school design that has some older Buick overtones. This prototype has been changed to LHD, making it suitable for the U.S. market, and our interior shot shows that its dashboard has been redesigned to resemble the current models in Nissan's U.S. lineup.

This Teana-based prototype retains the Japanese-model's quirky styling, which combines the side-window design from the Infiniti M35/M45 with a Maxima-like front fascia and a rear end that mimics BMW's rump-hump found on the new 5- and 7-Series.

Judging from the extensive repackaging of the interior to left-hand drive, it appears that this car is being readied for the U.S. market.  So why create such a car to slot in above the Maxima?  Toyota has adopted a similar strategy with its Avalon, and it appears that Nissan is attempting a similar attack - adapting an up-market (Infiniti) platform to get a piece of the large, near-luxury-cruiser market.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

TBR

The front and roofline look too much like the G35's, but the interior seems to be very nice and I would welcome an Avalon competitor from Nissan.  

R33 GT-R

I think it goes to Infiniti to work the RL.  Dave look at the rear quater panel and how it resembles what we've been searching for recently.
Dubbed:  Skanky Whore!

BMWDave

QuoteI think it goes to Infiniti to work the RL.  Dave look at the rear quater panel and how it resembles what we've been searching for recently.
Yea, I agree.  The rear end has been made absolutely hideous.  The interior seems really nice though.

Overall, looks too much like an M.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

As I said on C/D, I think this is going to be the next Maxima, not a car that tries to slot above it.  

BMWDave

QuoteAs I said on C/D, I think this is going to be the next Maxima, not a car that tries to slot above it.
I like the current Maxima far more than this car.

2007 Honda S2000

R33 GT-R

QuoteThe front and roofline look too much like the G35's, but the interior seems to be very nice and I would welcome an Avalon competitor from Nissan.
But isn't that what the Maxima is for, allbeit a bit more sporty.  I don't think they could take the blow of having another car on the lot to pull away Maxima sales.  They haven't been flying off the lots like they used too.  

ifcar

QuoteAs I said on C/D, I think this is going to be the next Maxima, not a car that tries to slot above it.
So do I, at least from what I can see. I assume it will drive better and have a nicer interior.

R33 GT-R

So do I, at least from what I can see. I assume it will drive better and have a nicer interior.
God I hope they don't do that to the Maxima. :angry:  

Raghavan

this car isn't new. they sell the exact same thing in Singapore...

Secret Chimp

Anybody else think the front looks like a Mazda Tribute and Ford 500 mashed together?

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

TBR

QuoteThe front and roofline look too much like the G35's, but the interior seems to be very nice and I would welcome an Avalon competitor from Nissan.
But isn't that what the Maxima is for, allbeit a bit more sporty.  I don't think they could take the blow of having another car on the lot to pull away Maxima sales.  They haven't been flying off the lots like they used too.
The Maxima is smaller and sportier than the Avalon.  

R33 GT-R

The Maxima is smaller and sportier than the Avalon.
This one seems a bit small too, it has to be the Maxima replacement.

TBR

Just cause it looks small doesn't mean it will be small, wait until you see it in person before you make a judgement like that.

ifcar

Even if it is large, I don't think that Nissan can support two large sedans. The Maxima already needs to be bumped up in size IMO to be more than just an Altima with more features, so this would be a logical Maxima replacement.

bobwill

I agree with the Maxima replacement theory.  Think about it, yes Nissan's growing in sales, but could they justify having the Altima, Maxima, and another car, as well as corresponding Infiniti models?

Catman

If they bring back the Maxima more towards a performance sedan this could fill in as a more luxury oriented car.  The Teana could definately take the place left vacant by the I35, a car that sold very well.  Being that it's FWD it is highly unlikely it will be an Infiniti.  The Avalon is a bridge car to Lexus.  This car could do the same for Nissan.