**** XK60 Event at Goodwood - Part 3 ****

Started by Colin, August 16, 2008, 02:44:42 AM

Colin

Out on the track

Despite the increasingly soggy conditions, there was constant action on the track. No more than 5 cars were ever out there at a time. Passenger rides were being offered in response to a donation to Children in Need, and seeing how twitchy some of the cars were in the appalling weather, would doubtless have been a somewhat interesting experience.

There was a huge difference in speed between the XKR and everything else........... not a particuarly pleasant sound, perhaps, but the high pitched whine from the supercharger of this car was highly distinctive:

Among the drivers were a few well known names. Here is Sir Stirling Moss ready to depart in the "C" Type

Here is that XKR in static form:

Some of the other Jaguars spotted in the outlying car park:

Oldest car present was one of the Austin Seven-based Swallow Specials

The 3.5 litre

The SS100 - well, not quite!

The various SS100s on show all turned out to be replicas, but presented to such a high standard that to my (untrained) eye, it was hard to tell the difference. You would certainly know it on the road, as these cars had XK6 underpinnings, and would doubtless be easier to drive than the originals.

The Mark V

This was the first car that Jaguar produced after the Second World War.

The Mark VIII (with apologies for the rain spot in the middle of the picture!)

The Mark IX

A small number of the well-regarded "small Jag" were on show, mostly Mark 2 cars:

The XJS, in Cabriolet form:

The Eventer - a successful transformation of the standard  XJS into a high speed "estate" car of sorts

The XK8 - now as 12 year old model - still looks fantastic. Surely a classic in the making, this car?

Its successor, the XK, was also in the car park, and very desirable it looks, too.

The very latest Jaguars were also on display, and we had a quick look at these, too. The XF is now becoming quite a common sight on our roads, and deservedly so, too.

Another outing for the supremely elegant XKR-S

Whilst the merits of the facelift to the XJ are still unclear, no doubt that this XJ looked rather attractive, and used ones will be a bargain in not many years from now.

Even the "X" type was on show, and looked the part - as an Estate:

Goodwood is getting ready for the "Revival" event next month, and this wonderful Art Deco recreation of the front of Earls Court is in place:

And finally, not a Jaguar......... and perhaps rarer than much of the machinery depicted above, was this: the Austin Gypsy. BMC's unsuccessful attempt to rival the Land-Rover: Launched in the 1950s, this vehicle never sold well, and is now all but forgotten.

An excellent day, then, not quite ruined by the rain, the wind and the cold.......... though had I not had a winter jacket lurking in the car, I could have concluded otherwise.

cawimmer430

Looks pretty 1980s charming in a way, like a fastback.  :praise:

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Tave

Every thread got better and better. Nice work dude. Too bad about the rain, but that's England for you. :thumbsup:
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Colin

Yeah, the rain really spoiled the event........ it was cold as well. I had to rescue my winter jacket from the car, just to stay warm enough, and as you can see, although i did my best to keep the rain drops off the camera lens, I was not 100% successful.

It was an excellent event, though. Well worth the cold and wet!

Glad you enjoyed the pics.

hotrodalex

There's an XJS cabriolet just like that (black instead of white) in my area.

And that XKR race car is just sexy. :wub: