ZR1 vs. Viper ACR

Started by SVT666, August 21, 2008, 10:48:20 PM

Pick one.

SVT666

This is probably the final battle between the Vette and Viper before the Viper is killed off.

SVT666

I stated in the ZR1 thread that I could say I want a Corvette more then a Viper...but the Viper ACR is just so incredibly badass and te window in the ZR1's hood is so tacky, I just can't say that anymore.  The ZR1 came close, but not close enough.

Soup DeVille

Viper, because deep down in my psyche, I just want to scare the crap out of small children and old ladies.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

SVT666

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 21, 2008, 10:49:37 PM
Viper, because deep down in my psyche, I just want to scare the crap out of small children and old ladies.
:rockon:

68_427

I guess I'll be the first to say I'd take the ZR1.  It's just as fast but more livable everyday.

EDIT:  Plus I am totally biased towards the Corvette.   :huh:
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

CJ

Where's the 'neither' option?

Soup DeVille

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

68_427

There is no point of a "neither" option, if you don't want either then don't vote.  :huh:
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

280Z Turbo

Soup DeVille

280Z Turbo

Don't let the ugly chrome wheels or hood keep you from appreciating the ZR-1.

They could easily be changed to something more tasteful.

GoCougs

The ACR is beyond 99.999999% of the drivers on the road including yours truly, and though the ZR1 is not far beyond, it at least has a bevy of electronic nannies to reign it in somewhat. And yes, despite pushrods, leaf springs, dorky body kit and see-through hood, and tacky chrome wheels, I'll go with the ZR1 as it is somewhat more useable in the hands of the non-professional.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 21, 2008, 10:49:37 PM
:hesaid:

NomisR

Quote from: GoCougs on August 21, 2008, 11:48:23 PM
The ACR is beyond 99.999999% of the drivers on the road including yours truly, and though the ZR1 is not far beyond, it at least has a bevy of electronic nannies to reign it in somewhat. And yes, despite pushrods, leaf springs, dorky body kit and see-through hood, and tacky chrome wheels, I'll go with the ZR1 as it is somewhat more useable in the hands of the non-professional.

For a track car, I prefer to be scared out of my wits and be able to tame the beast than having some electronic nannies do it for me.  I want to be able to run fast because of me and not because of the computers on my car.

GoCougs

Quote from: NomisR on August 22, 2008, 12:03:00 PM
For a track car, I prefer to be scared out of my wits and be able to tame the beast than having some electronic nannies do it for me.  I want to be able to run fast because of me and not because of the computers on my car.

I surmise however in the ZR1 that you can turn the electronic safety nets off.

And if you can truly test the limits of the ACR with a measure of safety, judging by virtually every single comparo/road test I've ever read, you're in that 0.000001%.

Lebowski

I guess the ZR-1, but honestly I wouldn't consider buying either of these cars, even if I had the money.

Obviously I like Corvettes, but I wouldn't want anything beyond the Z06 as far as performance, and IMO the body kit and clear hood panel on the ZR-1 look like total shit.  I imagine you can get those wheels w/o the chrome (like on other corvettes, the same wheel design is available in silver, polished, chrome, and competition gray).  I like the ZR-1 wheel design, but hate the chrome.

I wouldn't buy any Viper, too many magazine articles complain about how terrible it is as a regular driver, and in particular the heat complaint is something I could never get past given I live in FL and sweat like a pig.

I would rather have a GT3 over either of these cars.  Or, just a Corvette Coupe w/ the Z51 package and save the difference, given I don't get many opportunities to really stretch my cars legs as it is.

CJ

giant_mtb

For some reason I think both the ZR1 and the ACR would demolish that car on a track.  I dunno what that reason is, and it's just a thought, but I think maybe I might almost be correct in that assumption. :huh:
:lol:

Raza

If you're not going to have an undecided option, can you at least allow people to view the results before voting?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TBR

As a daily driver, the ZR1. But, for a track car, the ACR. And, let's face it, if you are looking at either one of these you probably already have an execurocket of some sort, so I am voting for the ACR.

JYODER240

The ACR I guess, but if it was up to me I would spend the money on a GT3.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Raza  on August 23, 2008, 10:07:44 AM
If you're not going to have an undecided option, can you at least allow people to view the results before voting?
Coward

(just kidding)

When I hear 'Viper' in an automotive context I think of one of two sets of things: the first set contains poorly produced special effects commercials for car alarms in the early 90s, and teh second set includes the following: a pickup truck motor, dangerously hot door sills, ugly wheels, racing stripes, and the dude in my old neighborhood who bought a Viper, but still lives in his mom's house (true story)...

So of the two it would have to be the ZR-1, though the first course of action would be to change the whole car's appearance to that of the Z06...

Though like someone else said, for the money I'd much rather do the 996 GT3. Actually realistically I'd probably do a 996 C4S as that would make more sense for a daily driver. To truly enjoy a car on the level of the ACR/Z06/GT2 you need the money to be able to take it to a track, have a REAL daily driver, etc.

"i could totally drive an ACR in a snowstorm" Give me a hit of whatever you're smoking.

Soup DeVille

Well, with a decent set of snow tires...

SVT666

Quote from: sportyaccordy on August 23, 2008, 08:12:18 PM
...includes the following: a pickup truck motor,
You don't know a thing about the Viper engine do you?

280Z Turbo

Quote from: HEMI666 on August 23, 2008, 08:48:59 PM
You don't know a thing about the Viper engine do you?

The early test mules ran truck engines.

SVT666

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on August 23, 2008, 09:50:44 PM
The early test mules ran truck engines.
Test mules.  Not the actual production car.  The production engine shared the block design with the Ram's engine, but that's it.  Not even the same block and head material.  The new engine shares absolutely nothing with the original truck engine.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: HEMI666 on August 23, 2008, 10:17:58 PM
Test mules.  Not the actual production car.  The production engine shared the block design with the Ram's engine, but that's it.  Not even the same block and head material.  The new engine shares absolutely nothing with the original truck engine.

And then, they put the now no-longer-a-truck-engine into a truck, further complicating the matter...

280Z Turbo

Quote from: HEMI666 on August 23, 2008, 10:17:58 PM

It's well known that any design shared with a truck engine will make the car 64.2% worse.

Trucky water jackets and oil passages decrease handling and throttle response.

SVT666

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 23, 2008, 10:25:19 PM
And then, they put the now no-longer-a-truck-engine into a truck, further complicating the matter...
No they didn't.  The Ram V10 and the Viper V10 only shared block design.  That was it.  Nothing else.  How hard is this to understand?  That's like saying the Vette has a truck engine.