Time for new tires. Need opinions/suggetions.

Started by VTEC_Inside, August 22, 2008, 12:00:47 PM

VTEC_Inside

I just rolled over 55,000kms on my RSX.

The combination of the incredibly shitty stock worn out Michelins and the ITR rear sway bar has been making for some interesting (to say the least) handling traits.

I knew the bigger rear sway bar dialed out pretty much all of the understeer that the car has stock, but twice now the back end has actually started to come out on me. Interesting sensation, really, but enough about that...

[Factory Tire: Michelin Pilot MXM4 205/55R16 89V 300AA]

I've pretty much narrowed down my replacement choices to 2.

Either the:
Yokohama Advan S.4. 91W 400AA
or
Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS 91W 400AA

I was originally looking at the Yokohama Avid V4S, and its still a bit inviting as it is a bit cheaper with a 500AA wear rating, but even 400AA is higher than my stock pos.

Considering anything would be better than my current tires as far as handling, dry or wet, I'm looking to keep the noise level under control.

I don't necessarily NEED all-seasons(no-season :P) but I would like these to last another 50,000-60,000kms and all the summer rubber seems to have really low wear life in comparison.

Thoughts, opinions, suggestions?
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

sportyaccordy

I had some Pep Boys Kuhmos on my 1st Accord, those handled pretty well and didn't wear out fast

GoCougs

Just yesterday I bought Toyo Tourevos to replace the Accord's factory Michelin MXV4s.

The Michelins just didn't fit the car; too brittle a ride, far too much road noise, and marginal wet-weather traction.

The Tourevos are just the opposite; far quieter, smoother and much better wet-weather traction. They are a bit squishier, but for an Accord sedan, why use such a hard tire as the MXV4? The Tourevos also have an 80,000 mile warranty, and the Michelins, 60,000 miles.

Not sure if this helps, but that's my very recent experience.

Champ

Crazy and I'm EXCITED to get over 10k on a set of tires!

280Z Turbo

I have Falken Ziex ZE-912s on the Focus and I love them. I haven't slipped them yet. They just grip. They're all season too!

Danish

I have AVID H4S's on my Corolla (lower speed rated version of V4S) and I can attest they are indeed a quiet tire. I don't know about handling in comparision to the MXV4s though
Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

S204STi

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on August 22, 2008, 12:00:47 PM
I just rolled over 55,000kms on my RSX.

The combination of the incredibly shitty stock worn out Michelins and the ITR rear sway bar has been making for some interesting (to say the least) handling traits.

I knew the bigger rear sway bar dialed out pretty much all of the understeer that the car has stock, but twice now the back end has actually started to come out on me. Interesting sensation, really, but enough about that...

[Factory Tire: Michelin Pilot MXM4 205/55R16 89V 300AA]

I've pretty much narrowed down my replacement choices to 2.

Either the:
or

I was originally looking at the Yokohama Avid V4S, and its still a bit inviting as it is a bit cheaper with a 500AA wear rating, but even 400AA is higher than my stock pos.

Considering anything would be better than my current tires as far as handling, dry or wet, I'm looking to keep the noise level under control.

I don't necessarily NEED all-seasons(no-season :P) but I would like these to last another 50,000-60,000kms and all the summer rubber seems to have really low wear life in comparison.

Thoughts, opinions, suggestions?

Either one of those tires are going to be great, as they both get good reviews from Tire Rack testing.  I have enjoyed my Pirelli PZero Nero M&S tires, though they are not wearing as evenly as I would like, and my alignment is perfect.  Oh well.

Byteme

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on August 22, 2008, 12:00:47 PM
IEither the:
or

I've been running various  Yokohama tires on the Jaguar, the Escape (since traded) and our Mazda 3.  I can't speak for your specific choice but in general Yokohama makes an excellent tire.

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: sportyaccordy on August 22, 2008, 01:40:22 PM
I had some Pep Boys Kuhmos on my 1st Accord, those handled pretty well and didn't wear out fast

I've got Khumos (cant recall which) on my '89 Accord. Little noisey, good grip (if not a little soft sidewall), but they are comfortable and have good wet traction. They are decent for the price I paid.

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: GoCougs on August 22, 2008, 04:17:41 PM
Just yesterday I bought Toyo Tourevos to replace the Accord's factory Michelin MXV4s.

The Michelins just didn't fit the car; too brittle a ride, far too much road noise, and marginal wet-weather traction.

The Tourevos are just the opposite; far quieter, smoother and much better wet-weather traction. They are a bit squishier, but for an Accord sedan, why use such a hard tire as the MXV4? The Tourevos also have an 80,000 mile warranty, and the Michelins, 60,000 miles.

Not sure if this helps, but that's my very recent experience.

Forgot about Toyo, was just looking at TireRack and they dont seem to sell them. We put Toyo's on my Grandpas old Accord (Proxes TPTs I think), and I wasn't particularly impressed.

VTEC_Inside

I really started to like the thought of the RE960s, but they weigh a full 3lbs more per tire than my Michelins...

Anyone else think this would be an issue?

I then started looking at the Yoko S.Drives which are summer only with a 300AA rating....

Ugh... The more I read, the more confused I get.

S204STi

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on August 26, 2008, 12:32:58 PM
I really started to like the thought of the RE960s, but they weigh a full 3lbs more per tire than my Michelins...

Anyone else think this would be an issue?

I then started looking at the Yoko S.Drives which are summer only with a 300AA rating....

Ugh... The more I read, the more confused I get.

You should decide first of all whether you want a summer only tire or an M&S tire.  Then you should compare like tires only; there is really no comparison between the two.  Determine which criteria are more important; ultimate traction, wet traction, NVH, etc.  Sometimes there is a tradeoff in one or more of those departments.

Personally I wouldn' fret too much about 3lbs per corner, this isn't motorsports.

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: R-inge on August 26, 2008, 01:22:10 PM
You should decide first of all whether you want a summer only tire or an M&S tire.  Then you should compare like tires only; there is really no comparison between the two.  Determine which criteria are more important; ultimate traction, wet traction, NVH, etc.  Sometimes there is a tradeoff in one or more of those departments.

Personally I wouldn' fret too much about 3lbs per corner, this isn't motorsports.

I am going to be sticking with an all-season simply because I do drive it in the winter. I'm not so much concerned about ability to drive through snow as the effect of the sub-freezing temperatures on the rubber.

The only reason I'm concerned about that 3lbs per corner is that I read at least one individual that noted a drop in mileage by switching to the RE960s. Sure its only 3lbs per, but its in the worst possible place furthest from the hub.

NomisR

My gf's RDX just had a flat and since the there's already 22k miles logged on the stockers, I was thinking maybe I should swap out all 4.

At 235/55/18, not a lot of choices to be had though but basically the same choice as the RSX

I'm leaning towards the Yokohama AVID V4S too, they're pretty good price and comes with good ratings.  Either that or the Yokohama ADVAN ST.  Not sure what the difference between the 2 are.. though.. any suggestions?

S204STi

The ADVAN will out perform the AVID in terms of performance in the dry, but it might not have the same foul weather safety or tread life, and it might be a louder/stiffer riding tire.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

NomisR

Quote from: NACar on September 13, 2008, 11:45:55 AM

+1 on those.  They're not the best on the track as they overheat a bit too quickly, but on the road, they're great. 

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: NomisR on September 15, 2008, 12:52:57 PM
+1 on those.  They're not the best on the track as they overheat a bit too quickly, but on the road, they're great. 

They're not bad on bluebarry trails, either, until you hit the mud... oh, and the treadwear is not so great... oh, and after the treadwears down, don't drive in the raid our you'll die.

VTEC_Inside

Still haven't done anything but most likely going with the Advan S4s.

I gotta videotape the last days of these Michelins though, its hilarious. Nailed it in 1st coming out of a corner earlier and lit them up all the way through 1st and a good bit into 2nd before I backed off... ON DRY ASPHALT, lol....

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on September 15, 2008, 01:46:04 PM
Still haven't done anything but most likely going with the Advan S4s.

I gotta videotape the last days of these Michelins though, its hilarious. Nailed it in 1st coming out of a corner earlier and lit them up all the way through 1st and a good bit into 2nd before I backed off... ON DRY ASPHALT, lol....

The Jetta can light up the tire in any gear :rolleyes:

NomisR

I got the AVID V4S for the RDX, I'll have to see how it turns out but from what I've read, it seems like an upgrade over MXM4.

Unfortunately for the RSX, I probably won't be able to see the death of those tires because I've been aching to trade that car in.  The tires are still less than 10k new because when my mom was driving it, she swapped out all 4 tires with the same crappy MXV4 tires.  I don't know why Honda ever chose those tires but they're really limiting the performance of the car.  But then again, they last forever and a day. 

VTEC_Inside

:mrcool:

Now, to find a place to mount them that will not f up my wheels.

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: R-inge on March 25, 2009, 03:04:48 PM
Nice!

All it took was those first few nice days of spring to get my ass in gear to order them. :)

MX793

I put a set of Fuzion HRis on my car about a year and a half ago and for cheap tires ($100 a piece mounted and balanced, which is cheap for 17" tires), I've been really impressed.  I wore the stock Eagle RS-As out after about 32K miles.  I might have been able to milk another few thousand out of them, but they were low enough that they were starting to hydroplane pretty easily and they wouldn't cut it in the slightest bit of snow.  The Fuzions now have 35K miles on them.  I measured the tread the other day and all tires still have over 9/32s of tread left (they had 11/32 to begin with) and I've rotated them once (about 2K miles ago).  At this rate, I won't need to replace them for another 70K miles or so, though I won't have the car long enough to see that happen.  Thing is, they have decent grip too (comparable to the Goodyears, but a little better in snow).  Only complaint is the noise.  It's like having snow tires on the car year round.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

VTEC_Inside

I'll be sure and give my impressions on these when I finally get them on... Going to try for this week, but probably early next week.

I'm at 63,000kms on the stock michellins now and they are bald. Its pure hilarity to floor it now most times.

A buddy of mine also put S4s on his Premium model RSX and says he liked them. He doesn't drive to aggressively though. I think its safe to say that they will be quiet if he liked them.