Help! My vehicle registration does not "exist"!

Started by 280Z Turbo, August 23, 2008, 05:20:09 PM

280Z Turbo

So I got my Z out for the first time today. I went out to the annual Grand Rapids 28th street "Metro Cruise", so of course the place was crawling with a-hole cops looking for trouble where there is none.

This winter I decided to put an authentic plate on my Z. You can permanently register any car with a plate from the year it was made. I put a "Spirit of '76" Michigan plate on mine that my dad had on his Vette back in the day. We sent in all of the proper documents, sent in a check, and got a registration back from the Michigan Secretary of State. The car was good to go, right...WRONG!

I got pulled over by a state cop at the metro cruise today because my authentic plate was "not in their system". There were 4 state cops there and none of them could prove that my state issued registration was real. One of them suggested that it was a forgery. They said that my registration was missing some number on the bottom, but the authentic registration for my dad's '63 Corvette is exactly the same.

They let me go, but I got off of 28th street as quickly as I could to get away from all the cops. I'm probably going to have to go and wait at the secretary of state's office for an hour so they can tell me there's nothing they can do. I really wanted to drive the car tomorrow, but I guess I can't now. :banghead:

What should I do to fix this? Is it possible that the cop screwed up?

dazzleman

If you got the registration from the state, then it's legal.  I'd drive the car, and then inquire with the DMV on Monday about the issue.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

280Z Turbo

Quote from: dazzleman on August 23, 2008, 05:22:34 PM
If you got the registration from the state, then it's legal.  I'd drive the car, and then inquire with the DMV on Monday about the issue.

That's not what the state cop said.

He said that he could have my car impounded.

dazzleman

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on August 23, 2008, 05:27:20 PM

Then why didn't he?

I wonder if this is just a clerical issue.  You need to get it cleared up with the DMV.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Catman

280Z Turbo

Quote from: dazzleman on August 23, 2008, 05:28:30 PM
Then why didn't he?

I wonder if this is just a clerical issue.  You need to get it cleared up with the DMV.

Probably because I was polite and cooperative.

dazzleman

Soup DeVille

Is it possible that the "authentic" registrations are listed under a seperate heading in their systems and that none of them are aware of this?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 23, 2008, 05:38:59 PM
Is it possible that the "authentic" registrations are listed under a seperate heading in their systems and that none of them are aware of this?

I'm thinking about going down to the local PD and seeing if they can pull it up.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on August 23, 2008, 05:42:25 PM
I'm thinking about going down to the local PD and seeing if they can pull it up.

Good idea, but, umm, take the Focus.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

280Z Turbo

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/hplate_16252_7.pdf

It turns out that I can't even go to the Secretary of State for this. None of the branch offices handle authentic plates.

dazzleman

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on August 23, 2008, 06:21:24 PM
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/hplate_16252_7.pdf

It turns out that I can't even go to the Secretary of State for this. None of the branch offices handle authentic plates.

It seems that you're caught in a bureaucratic no-man's land.  Not a good place to be.  :banghead:

Visit your local PD and maybe they can explain things to you, when you're not under the stress of having been pulled over.

Catman

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on August 23, 2008, 05:30:38 PM
Probably because I was polite and cooperative.

PM me the reg number and I can run it to see if it shows up.

hounddog

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on August 23, 2008, 05:20:09 PM
So I got my Z out for the first time today. I went out to the annual Grand Rapids 28th street "Metro Cruise", so of course the place was crawling with a-hole cops looking for trouble where there is none.

Or is it more likely that the cops are out looking for a-holes who are causing trouble where there would otherwise be none?

Perspective is a quality which should be reserved for people with more level heads.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

280Z Turbo

Yeah those 50 year old men in old Impalas sure are a rough bunch. I saw 5 people get shot.

I shouldn't have used the word "a-hole" to refer to the cops (I was upset about the situation), but it was ridiculously excessive. A waste of tax dollars, at best.

This is not about that though. If this turns into a cops vs. the people thread I'll delete it.

hounddog

Quote from: dazzleman on August 23, 2008, 05:22:34 PM

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on August 23, 2008, 05:27:20 PM

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 23, 2008, 05:38:59 PM
Dave is right.  So long as you have your registration, which is printed on a special weight paper, and you have your proof of insurance you are fine.  They can write a citation, but it will ultimately be set aside (dismissed).  Why?  Because, you cannot issue a citation for a properly registered vehicle. 

Also, the information is in the same system.  That system is the Law Enforcement Information Network, or LEIN (a state of Michigan operated site only directly accessable by certified Michigan LEOs.  Other state LEOs may only access it indirectly through NLETS)  The Secretary of State is directly connected to our system, therefore all information housed within the SOS system is available to the LEIN system instantaneously through a direct link.   Everything.

Lastly, sure the Trooper could have been wrong.  All police officers are falable, we are human.  I even made a mistake once.  :lol:  Point being, even if the information was not readily available to the trooper for whatever reason, he was able to confirm the possiblility of a valid registration through paperwork on scene.  That, in a nutshell, is the purpose of the paperwork.  Otherwise, we would go paperless. 

I would say drive your car, enjoy the day.  Just do it in a very mature and responsible manner so as to not draw undue attention to yourself.  If your car is indeed impounded, and you are able to prove that the impound was improper then you do have legal remedy available. 

But, remember, I am not a lawyer. 
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

hounddog

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on August 23, 2008, 10:08:51 PM
Yeah those 50 year old men in old Impalas sure are a rough bunch. I saw 5 people get shot.

I shouldn't have used the word "a-hole" to refer to the cops (I was upset about the situation), but it was ridiculously excessive. A waste of tax dollars, at best.

This is not about that though. If this turns into a cops vs. the people thread I'll delete it.
My response was intended to be light hearted, and no offense was taken with the a-hole remark.  Just using word play for my entertainment.  I knew you were upset when you posted, that is why I commented on "level heads."  It was a tongue in cheek play on words.

But, I think you would be surprised how much trouble 50 year old men can cause.   They usually have the money for tickets, and receiving a ticket within the car culture is viewed as a badge of honor; as you may well know.  So, many of them think nothing of raising a little hell to show off their old cars in front of their friends.   In short, they act like kids when they get together.

And then there is the alcohol/OWI enforcement aspect of it.     

But, back to topic; I think you are probably fine.  Otherwise, the MSP would not have missed an opportunity to write you a buscuit.
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

hounddog

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on August 23, 2008, 10:08:51 PM
I saw 5 people get shot.
Had you been near Division and Hall, I might have believed you.  :lol:
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

280Z Turbo

I'm thinking about switching back to a normal plate. I don't want this crap happening again. It never would have happened if I would have kept my old bridge plate.

If I go out of state with this plate, am I going to get pulled over because they think it's a fake?

With the grunting exhaust, the vintage styling, and the 1976 plate I have no chance of NOT drawing attention to myself.

If the registration is printed on special paper, then why did he suggest that it was a forgery?

hounddog

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on August 23, 2008, 10:31:22 PM
I'm thinking about switching back to a normal plate. I don't want this crap happening again. It never would have happened if I would have kept my old bridge plate.

If I go out of state with this plate, am I going to get pulled over because they think it's a fake?

With the grunting exhaust, the vintage styling, and the 1976 plate I have no chance of NOT drawing attention to myself.

If the registration is printed on special paper, then why did he suggest that it was a forgery?
You will likely have less trouble out of state, than in.  Most places take the printed version at face value because of the lesser and reduced ability to get info from our SOS.  They can still get it, but it is not always complete, timely, or even available. 

I was referring to 'undue' attention, such as revving the engine, squealing the tires, or any other overt action which would say, "Stop me, please."

Keep the plate, force the SOS to make it right.  If you go back, then the civil service workers are not required to do their job by fixing the problem, making you an enabler.   Plus, you have to pay to have it changed back, meaning you paid twice to register your car.

As for his suggestions, I was not there and cannot make a judgement on his thinking.  He may not be aware the paper is a heavier weight paper.   He may have been trying to make you think he was "on to you," I cannot say with any certainty.   What I can say is that he may have just not been able to sort it out based on the information available to him, and he was frustrated.
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

280Z Turbo

I just don't want to get pulled over again. It's a huge waste of time for everybody and makes me nervous.

In his defense, he had no way of knowing that I wasn't a crazy gun-toting psychopath so I can't say I'm too upset about the way I was treated.

dazzleman

Quote from: hounddog on August 23, 2008, 10:20:29 PM

But, I think you would be surprised how much trouble 50 year old men can cause.   They usually have the money for tickets, and receiving a ticket within the car culture is viewed as a badge of honor; as you may well know.  So, many of them think nothing of raising a little hell to show off their old cars in front of their friends.   In short, they act like kids when they get together.

I can definitely see how that could happen.  Most people never fully grow up, and always retain a bit of that reckless, troublemaking side of their personality that is left over from their youth, and it can come out with the right people, under the right circumstances.  While our bodies grow older, in certain ways, our minds don't always follow.

Catman

Well, I confirmed there's no record in their system.  I would just go to the DMV, it was probably entered wrong.

rohan

http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

sparkplug

They'll probably crush the car.

It's a classic isn't it.

Too bad...
Getting stoned, one stone at a time.

280Z Turbo

UPDATE:

WARNING: DO NOT PUT AN AUTHENTIC PLATE ON YOUR CAR!

I talked to two people from the SOS over the phone. Both of them were about as pleasant as using 60 grit sandpaper as toilet paper.

My plate is valid, but not in the police "system". This means that cops can and will pull me over whenever they want and I can't even use the car for anything other than car shows. Pleasure driving is actually illegal for this type of plate. Oddly enough, I was in a car show at the time I got pulled over.

I need to renew my old plate now. If I can't even enjoy the car, what the hell is the point?

Catman

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on August 25, 2008, 02:34:57 PM
UPDATE:

WARNING: DO NOT PUT AN AUTHENTIC PLATE ON YOUR CAR!

I talked to two people from the SOS over the phone. Both of them were about as pleasant as using 60 grit sandpaper as toilet paper.

My plate is valid, but not in the police "system". This means that cops can and will pull me over whenever they want and I can't even use the car for anything other than car shows. Pleasure driving is actually illegal for this type of plate. Oddly enough, I was in a car show at the time I got pulled over.

I need to renew my old plate now. If I can't even enjoy the car, what the hell is the point?

That's retarded.

dazzleman

Definitely.  What is the point of a plate like that?