Chevrolet Volt Unveiled! (Production Pics)

Started by 2o6, August 28, 2008, 06:39:07 PM

sandertheshark

Quote from: 2o6 on August 28, 2008, 06:39:07 PM
If green cars can look this good, then why is the Prius so ugly?

Because Toyota and Honda are in a bitter contest to see who can trick us into buying the ugliest cars.

The Volt does look brilliant.

nickdrinkwater

Why unveil a production car so long before it is available to buy?  Why even sign off the design that early?

It's the Camaro thing all over again...this thing will look old before it's on the road.

Laconian

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on September 08, 2008, 04:54:14 PM
Why unveil a production car so long before it is available to buy?  Why even sign off the design that early?
They think that the hype alone will give GM an eco-friendly glow. My car magazines are filled with countless Special Advertising Sections of GM Volt propaganda, they are milking it for all its worth.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

cawimmer430

I was browsing Autolies and found this comment on the Chevy Volt in form of a picture. The poster claims the Volt was designed by a girl.  :tounge:

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: HEMI666 on September 08, 2008, 04:00:11 PM
My guess is they are the designers.

like i said, the beancounters. They run everything at GM.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Laconian on September 08, 2008, 05:04:36 PM
They think that the hype alone will give GM an eco-friendly glow. My car magazines are filled with countless Special Advertising Sections of GM Volt propaganda, they are milking it for all its worth.

More directly they are trying to keep their share prices up, give everyone the illusion that GM is worth something and is a viable investment.

Sadly the volt isn't worth much else, initially this car is looking to sell a few thousand the first couple years at a price that's estimated at 40,000 dollars.

Compared to the high volume units from totota(and no doubt the future insight) that are/will sell enought units a month to match the yearly sales of the volt(initially) it won't do a damn thing to bring any money into GM.

At this point it's just like a little kid making excuses and drawing out an activity to avoid going to bed.

In the above scenario the kid is obviously General motors and bed is bankruptcy.

The kid has to goto sleep sometime.

Schadenfreude

I do have a question about this car though: would it theoretically be possible to use solar voltaic cells with this car? (assuming you live in a warm weather climate).  Because that would help quite a bit I'd imagine.

Galaxy

Quote from: Schadenfreude on September 09, 2008, 08:13:11 AM
I do have a question about this car though: would it theoretically be possible to use solar voltaic cells with this car? (assuming you live in a warm weather climate).  Because that would help quite a bit I'd imagine.

Not to drive no, it could reduce the time it takes to discharge the battery.

The current standard for quality home installed panels is max 500W per panel if the sun directly shines on the panel without clouds.

ChrisV

Quote from: Galaxy on September 08, 2008, 02:39:06 PM
Mercedes-Benz and the german utility company RWE today unveiled one of the most idiotic things I have heard in a long time. They plan on making plug in cars which charge the battery when the grid load is low and feed power back into the grid during peak demand periods.  :banghead:

Actually, the part about charging in off peak hours is a valid one. By charging overnight, the powerplants don't have to be ramped down and back up again in the morning, making them more efficient. No rolling brownouts, and in fact a better use of the grid. This has been  known for years, which is why electrics and plug in hybrids could be a good thing.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Laconian

The cars would act like capacitors for the power grid, smoothing out the spikes and dips.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

SVT666

Quote from: ChrisV on September 09, 2008, 12:21:01 PM
Actually, the part about charging in off peak hours is a valid one. By charging overnight, the powerplants don't have to be ramped down and back up again in the morning, making them more efficient. No rolling brownouts, and in fact a better use of the grid. This has been  known for years, which is why electrics and plug in hybrids could be a good thing.
Except that most people don't give a shit and will plug their cars in whenever they feel like it.

hotrodalex

Thanks for the pictures. I like it. If I bought one I might have to get a black grill instead of silver, but it's not a big deal.

TBR

Quote from: HEMI666 on September 09, 2008, 02:30:26 PM
Except that most people don't give a shit and will plug their cars in whenever they feel like it.

But the cars being programed to only charge during off peak hours will eliminate that issue.

the Teuton

Here's the first shots of the car in motion.

It sounds like a 1995 Civic HX.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WG_onuwywk
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

ifcar

Quote from: TBR on September 16, 2008, 03:26:32 PM
But the cars being programed to only charge during off peak hours will eliminate that issue.

No one's going to like paying $35,000+ for a car that only refuels when it wants to.

omicron

You know what? I think it looks bloody good. I can see (wonderful) elements of SVX and CRX in that rear end and a sprinkling of Civic Type R at the front whilst remaining decidedly American, and this is the first Chevrolet on which the new corporate grille looks properly integrated and in proportion with the rest of the car. I'd be happier if the windows extended down to incorporate the black trim on the doors, but all in all, I think it's a fantastic-looking thing.

USA_Idol

That's the ugliest car I've seen from GM since the Aztek.  But, hey, buyers of this vehicle will be helping to save the earth.  So styling doesn't really matter.   :rolleyes:

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ifcar

It looks much sharper than the Cruze except for the black trim all over the back, at least on the outside.

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Raza

Quote from: ifcar on September 17, 2008, 06:48:32 AM
It looks much sharper than the Cruze except for the black trim all over the back, at least on the outside.

I don't know about that. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

FlatBlackCaddy

I'll wait for the REAL pictures of a production car. These(a few posts up) are still prepo with concept elements(liike the lights, etc).

GM is just releasing anything they can to keep people swimming in BS.

I still don't see how this car is relevent to GM's short term health(3-10 years). Granted it would be a good move for the long term but everyone knows GM doesn't think/plan/produce for the long term.

This car in it's first few years of production(i forget what bob said initial production would be) will be lucky to equal the monthly sales of the prius and new honda combined. This is NOT a money maker, this will NOT save gm financially, this car will NOT turn the company around. So i don't see what the big deal is.

2o6

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on September 17, 2008, 07:32:13 AM
I'll wait for the REAL pictures of a production car. These(a few posts up) are still prepo with concept elements(liike the lights, etc).

GM is just releasing anything they can to keep people swimming in BS.

I still don't see how this car is relevent to GM's short term health(3-10 years). Granted it would be a good move for the long term but everyone knows GM doesn't think/plan/produce for the long term.

This car in it's first few years of production(i forget what bob said initial production would be) will be lucky to equal the monthly sales of the prius and new honda combined. This is NOT a money maker, this will NOT save gm financially, this car will NOT turn the company around. So i don't see what the big deal is.

It's going to change one big thing:

Perception.

If this High MPG attitude gets transfered to other cars, then it'll start picking up where the imports are losing ground: MPG's.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: 2o6 on September 17, 2008, 07:57:35 AM

It's going to change one big thing:

Perception.

If this High MPG attitude gets transfered to other cars, then it'll start picking up where the imports are losing ground: MPG's.

Will it though?

Change percepctions.

That's a tough call, did the EV1 change perceptions(granted it's on a smaller scale)?

Are 10,000 volts a year at 40K going to change perceptions?

Toyota was thought to be a more fuel efficient auto maker(compared to GM) BEFORE it introduced the prius(same with honda and the previous insight). Perceptions don't change with one model, it changes with alot of models and over years.

Toyota didn't automatically change perceptions with the prius, what it did do for toyota is catapult their already fuel efficient image to a new level.

ifcar

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2008/09/plug-in-tax-cre.html

$5,000 tax credit for "qualifying plug-in hybrids" passed the House. If that makes it through, that gives GM more wiggle room as the Volt's cost estimates continue to soar.

Galaxy

Opel will also be getting the Volt. Since our version will run on 240V that will cut charging time in half compared to the north american 110V version

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Galaxy on September 17, 2008, 12:16:45 PM
Opel will also be getting the Volt. Since our version will run on 240V that will cut charging time in half compared to the north american 110V version

WTF. Can people get voltage converter things to turn into 240?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Galaxy

Quote from: NACar on September 17, 2008, 12:18:58 PM
WTF. Can people get voltage converter things to turn into 240?

A power converter will probably not help since the transformer input will still be 110V. The Amperes would most likely be to high for a residential power supply.