Short FIAT and ALFA Observations in Bologna

Started by Yawn, August 29, 2008, 10:39:13 AM

Yawn

I was at my cousins for 3 weeks in Northern Italy and was looking forward to seeing the FIAT 500 and Alfa Mito on the road.

FIAT 500's were every where for a new car. I saw a couple a day and to me they arent that bad looking though I would still prefer a Mini. The Mini looks more solid in Profile than a 500.

The Alfa Mito was not to be found. Never saw one on the Autostrada or reg roads.  I asked my cousins and he said yeah he is aware of the Mito as well but havent seen any on the road.

Which goes to Alfa as a whole. The 159 sedan and wagon were rare. Audi/BMW/ and Mercedes were the leaders. Most Alfa sedans I saw on the road were older models.

TBR

Colin

The MiTo has only just gone on sale.... literally about 4 weeks ago. They are now in the dealer showrooms in Continental Europe, but it always takes quite a while before you can expect to see many examples of any new car on the road.

Surprised you did not see many Alfa 159s............ they are pretty evident these days.

Autobahn

I am also suprised, the last times I have been to Italy, 159s very everywhere. Especially in that dark greenish color with cappuccino-colored leather, oh sweet  :wub:

That said they are quite common here too, and remember Stuttgart is C-Class territory. Every mom and their grand-mom seem to have one (and the Italian lovers drive the 159s :lol:)

I was shocked by the amount of 159s in the French-speaking part of Switzerland when I visited the girlfriend two weeks ago, it's incredible, lots of them around.

omicron

159s have lovely interiors indeed, especially with the glorious rich leather in varying shades, and you can almost fit a person in the back seat! That certainly wasn't possible in the 156.

nickdrinkwater

The 159 is great, but did you see any Breras or Spiders?  If so, what did you think?  For me, the Spider is the best looking Alfa.  Ok, so the proportions are all wrong in theory, but in the metal there's just something about that car that makes it beautiful to me, even if I can't quite put a finger on it.

I agree that 500 is underwhelming.  I'm already getting bored by the design.

Galaxy

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on September 01, 2008, 04:33:15 PM
The 159 is great, but did you see any Breras or Spiders?  If so, what did you think?  For me, the Spider is the best looking Alfa.  Ok, so the proportions are all wrong in theory, but in the metal there's just something about that car that makes it beautiful to me, even if I can't quite put a finger on it.

I agree that 500 is underwhelming.  I'm already getting bored by the design.

The problem with the Brera is the rear end. The concept looked stunning The problem is that some of the concept could not be carried into the realities of production, so instead of admitting that the Brera concept could not work they tried to save as much of it into reality as possible. The end result is akin to forcing a to tight pants over to fat legs.

As for the 500, I like that exterior and interior. One just needs close ones eye and ignore some of the less then stellar parts that appear on second glance. I really wish they had not undercut the Mini on price.

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: Galaxy on September 01, 2008, 04:47:43 PM
The problem with the Brera is the rear end. The concept looked stunning The problem is that some of the concept could not be carried into the realities of production, so instead of admitting that the Brera concept could not work they tried to save as much of it into reality as possible. The end result is akin to forcing a to tight pants over to fat legs.

As for the 500, I like that exterior and interior. One just needs close ones eye and ignore some of the less then stellar parts that appear on second glance. I really wish they had not undercut the Mini on price.

I agree with what you say.  But I still want one of these: