***Testdrove a Mercedes-Benz Sprinter 313 CDI***

Started by cawimmer430, August 31, 2008, 06:47:37 AM

cawimmer430

Last Friday I drove a Sprinter 313 CDI rental to Munich with my dad to drop off some furniture for my apartment. We rented it from the local Mazda dealer (don't ask why they rent MB Sprinters...) and I drove it. The "313 CDI" means this Sprinter can carry over 3 tons of payload and the engine has 130-horsepower and is a CDI diesel.

There's not much to say about it. The seating position is high, the seats are barely adjustable and the driving comfort is terrible. The most fun thing about this car was that it was pretty quick. Yep, quick! The 313 CDI engine responded nicely and the gear ratios were. Acceleration was brisk and fluid. On the downside, this thing was very, very loud (a base A, B or C-Class diesel is so much quieter), especially at high speeds on the Autobahn. I brought it up to nearly 160 km/h and the high-speed handling was generally ok. The steering was pretty lifeless though and you basically needed a lot of "Autobahn experience" to control a Sprinter at high speeds with the vague steering.

The 6-speed manual was typical MB: vague and lifeless but the shifts patterns thankfully weren't that bad. The brakes were strong and efficient. It was a hot day and this thing didn't have a functioning A/C unit (air was blown out but not cooled which led me to believe that the A/C wasn't ordered).

I didn't get any chances to photograph it properly so I was only able to take these quick crappy shots of it before returning it to the Mazda dealer.

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

the Teuton

I don't think we get the stick here.  That's pretty cool.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Submariner

Hmmph, most reviews of the Dodge variant are quite good.

And 130 HP....oooo feel that raw power.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Colin

I had a Vito 111 CDi Minibus from Mr Hertz CH last Dec........... and that was a rough and raucous, but quite torquey diesel.

Given the way that most Sprinters are driven in UK (almost inside your rear bumper), I'd guess that they have that bit more oomph, too.

Laconian

3 TON capacity with only 130hp? In Uhhmerica we demand at least 350HP for our one-ton vehicles! It's because our high speed onramps are deadly, deadly I tell you!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Autobahn

Quote from: Laconian on August 31, 2008, 01:43:10 PM
3 TON capacity with only 130hp? In Uhhmerica we demand at least 350HP for our one-ton vehicles! It's because our high speed onramps are deadly, deadly I tell you!
:lol:
There's also a 311 CDI variant (with 110 hp) and people do just fine with them. :lol:

And Christian 160 km/ ~100 mph, that's faster than most of the forum members have ever gone with their cars, legally :lol: That's communist Europe, the elites (to which Wimmer certainly belongs :lol:) can go faster with their delivery vans than the Americans with their Corvettes. Long lives communism :lol:

And Chris are you going to work in Munich?

CaMIRO

I'm surprised it wasn't more comfortable. Mercedes does pretty good seats, as commercial vehicles go - or, I guess, they used to.

cawimmer430

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: Submariner on August 31, 2008, 09:58:56 AM
And 130 HP....oooo feel that raw power.

My legs were shaking from all that power. I was so confidant I wanted to race a Ferrari.  :ohyeah:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: Colin on August 31, 2008, 01:32:02 PM
I had a Vito 111 CDi Minibus from Mr Hertz CH last Dec........... and that was a rough and raucous, but quite torquey diesel.

Given the way that most Sprinters are driven in UK (almost inside your rear bumper), I'd guess that they have that bit more oomph, too.

The Vito...  :mask:

Scary.  :cry:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

The 313 CDI has a lot of torque and that helps a lot. Plus the top speed is in the 170 km/h region which is already very high for such a car.  :ohyeah:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: Autobahn on August 31, 2008, 02:49:30 PM
And Chris are you going to work in Munich?

Going back to school. U5 Akademie - gonna learn how to be a professional graphic artist, photographer, digital media etc.  :rockon:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: CaMIRO on September 01, 2008, 10:09:18 PM
I'm surprised it wasn't more comfortable. Mercedes does pretty good seats, as commercial vehicles go - or, I guess, they used to.

The back support couldn't be adjusted because behind the seat was a solid metal wall. I could slide the seat forward and backwards but for my long legs I needed to slide the seat all the way to the back at the expensive of keeping the back support straight. Over long distances this is a little uncomfortable. The seats themselves were decent.  :ohyeah:

On Sprinter buses (see photo below), the seats can be adjusted in a more variable fashion.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Soup DeVille

Its more in line with what you'd expect from a commercial vehicle in the US with that payload though. I used to drive a truck rated for 50 tons payload that "only" had 400 HP.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

TBR

To be fair, what we call one-ton trucks have payloads in the same range as this van.