Do all GM large trucks/SUVs act like this?

Started by Secret Chimp, July 26, 2005, 11:53:55 PM

Secret Chimp

I was waiting for a bus today near a stoplight, and an Escalade pulling a trailer (I know, weird) came up to the light about 5 cars back. When it started off again, the front end didn't seem to lift very much, but the front wheels squinched themselves in like the truck had to piss really bad (a lot of positive camber). The way the wheels were cocked, it looked as if the front suspension had topped out, but the rear wasn't sagging nor was there a lot of empty space in the front wheel wheels.
Was there something wrong with this thing or how it was loaded up, or is this expected behavior for  other recent-model GM trucks and/or SUVs towing heavy loads?

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Colonel Cadillac

Good question, I would like to know the answer too.  

giant_mtb

Well a lot of SUV's today have very stiff spring rates...maybe he didn't accelerate hard enough to cause a lot of rearward weight transfer, but enough for the front to top it's suspension travel...

But honestly I have no idea...and I don't know if what I just said even makes sense...  :blink:  :P

I wanna know the answer too...

JYODER240

It sounds like something was wrong, my dad drives a 2004 Escalade and tows a fairly heavy boat with it (about 6500lbs) and i have never seen it do anything like that.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

footoflead

What was on the trailer....I remeber when i helped my friend out by hauling 2 tons of rock and 1 ton of wet top soil......the forklift guy set the rocks on the very end of the trailer and it acted sorta like a jack and LIFT THE BACK OF THE TRUCK OFF THE GROUND...he really didnt move the rock forward enough...and made it hella hard to pull over to where the loaded the dirt which helped alot...it did almost make a tire roll of the rim it was so low...Lucky for me i keep a small compressor in my truck...

I'm sure i was either right on the towing limits or over cause that truck was have a hell of a time getting goin(remeber its hauling like 4 tons)....i couldn't have done it without my trusty trailer brakes...although it was still a nightmare to stop... :blink: ....

so back on track...it might have been the way the trailer was loaded
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

TBR

What is your truck's towing capacitiy? I would be surprised if it is much more than 8,000 lbs.

R33 GT-R

As the rear drives it compresses the front suspension, he had a good load plus must have hit it hard and dropped the front.  I've seen IFS trucks at pulls and everyone of them looks like the front end is going to blow.  It'll drop to the bump stop and stay loaded there with enough weight transfer from rear torque.
Dubbed:  Skanky Whore!

footoflead

QuoteWhat is your truck's towing capacitiy? I would be surprised if it is much more than 8,000 lbs.
Chevy's 1500 has a capacity of 5000 lbs....I should have made two trips instead of cramming it into one....

I know the rocks weigh'd 3000 some old lbs....and the dirt put me way over the limit...

Looking back the truck was trying to overheat while barley moving in traffic but i switch'd off the ac and cranked down the windows and it went back down.....but other than that it hauled about 4 tons No prob :praise: ....
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Secret Chimp

QuoteAs the rear drives it compresses the front suspension, he had a good load plus must have hit it hard and dropped the front.  I've seen IFS trucks at pulls and everyone of them looks like the front end is going to blow.  It'll drop to the bump stop and stay loaded there with enough weight transfer from rear torque.
The front end went up, not down.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

JYODER240

QuoteAs the rear drives it compresses the front suspension, he had a good load plus must have hit it hard and dropped the front.  I've seen IFS trucks at pulls and everyone of them looks like the front end is going to blow.  It'll drop to the bump stop and stay loaded there with enough weight transfer from rear torque.
The front end went up, not down.
escalades have a solid rear axil anyway.

SargeMonkey

Well what you saw was an independent suspension at work, most trucks have solid axels, so unless its bent it aint going to do that, our 78 at full load doesn't do anything, but it also has a rear air bag system that came stock on it, so the more you load it the more air you add. I think the gvw on its 8400, and there is no tow limit, I checked the manual, so all you saw was the front under "no" load and the back under "full" load.
`79 Civic Cvcc
`81 Civic 1300xl
`78 Silverado Camper 454
`70 Chevy Fleetside (non running)
`91 Camry XL All-trac 4cyl
`86 Toyota Pickup (475k miles)
`92 Jeep Wrangler Renegade 4" lift 35" tires.

JYODER240

QuoteWell what you saw was an independent suspension at work, most trucks have solid axels, so unless its bent it aint going to do that, our 78 at full load doesn't do anything, but it also has a rear air bag system that came stock on it, so the more you load it the more air you add. I think the gvw on its 8400, and there is no tow limit, I checked the manual, so all you saw was the front under "no" load and the back under "full" load.
But he said it was an Escalade. They don't have IRS they have a solid rear axle.

TBR

QuoteWell what you saw was an independent suspension at work, most trucks have solid axels, so unless its bent it aint going to do that, our 78 at full load doesn't do anything, but it also has a rear air bag system that came stock on it, so the more you load it the more air you add. I think the gvw on its 8400, and there is no tow limit, I checked the manual, so all you saw was the front under "no" load and the back under "full" load.
But he said it was an Escalade. They don't have IRS they have a solid rear axle.
I am not sure where he was coming from, our F-250 which has two solid axles and some pretty "sturdy" spring rates does sag under loads.