Infiniti Considers Model Above the Q45

Started by BMWDave, July 27, 2005, 07:19:08 AM

BMWDave

Infiniti Considers Model Above the Q45
Date Posted 07-26-2005

DETROIT ? A flagship model above the current Q45 sedan is on the wish list for the future for Nissan's luxury division, Infiniti, Inside Line has learned.

In an interview with Inside Line, Mark Igo, Infiniti vice president and general manager, said the addition this year of the M-Series allows the luxury marque to consider moving more upscale.

"The Q has a loyal base, but the sales are very small. As we grow the M business, we want to take it to the next phase for that type of buyer," he said.

"As the Q matures, we'll look at how it fits in our lineup," he added. "If we have an opportunity to evolve it, we will do so. But to have a true flagship is something we'd like to have ? something that's every bit as impressive as the M. That's what our goal would be. That would be on my dream list."

Infiniti could have more V8-powered models in its future line as well, Igo said. "I'd like to see us do more V8s because it raises transaction prices and gets us into a higher demographic in terms of income. That really sets the forefront for flagships."

Indeed, Igo said the M35 and M45 have boosted Infiniti's transaction prices. The M is selling at about $40,000.

What this means to you: Infiniti is finally wising up and realizing that the Q45 doesn't even exist in the mind of high end luxury sedans buyers. An all-new flagship would go a long way toward getting Infiniti back on track to battle Lexus.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

BMWDave

This is quite a stupid idea...Infiniti barely has the brand cache to sell a vehicle like the Q45, which has been a tremendous flop sales wise.  How do they expect to sell a model above the Q?

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

ifcar

The Q used to be successful, it was the brand's first product. The current one doesn't sell because it doesn't do anything that the competition doesn't, and they are generally better.

I'd rather they let the M45 fill the current Q's spot, and move a vastly-improved redesign up a notch to compete more directly with the LS430 and S-Class.

TBR

I agree, the Q is an embarassment for a company that has so successfully changed their image in such a short period of time.