2010 Mustang GT500 spied!

Started by SVT666, September 10, 2008, 09:03:23 AM

SVT666

The Shelby GT500 is a relatively new addition to the Mustang family, launched a little over two years ago. But with a redesigned Mustang around the corner, Ford engineers are naturally preparing a new GT500 based on the facelifted bodystyle ? including a new convertible.
Our photographers spotted the Shelby GT500 undergoing testing this afternoon ? marking one of the first times the car has been on public roads, and the first sighting of the drop top. We?ve got crystal-sharp images showing the grille with mesh detailing under the camouflage. And ? in previous shots ? with the tape tightly down on the center of the steering wheel ? one can even make out the ?Cobra? emblem! Lots of interior details are coming through loud and clear ? just don?t expect the laptop to be an option!
The unique Shelby grille and hood scoops are clearly visible, as are the headlamps and other previously hidden styling features.
Performance details of the updated model remain a mystery. Whether Ford is shooting for a higher horsepower rating in these fuel-conscious times is unknown. Certainly, the current Shelby?s 500 horsepower rating is nothing to sneeze at!
As recently noted, Ford decided to make the new Mustang?s exterior look smaller, even though overall dimensions are the same. ?By cleverness in design, we?ve been able to make it look like the wheels are further out, further forward and further rearward,? design chief Peter Horbury said. How this will translate into the GT500 series isn?t hard to imagine ? we?re expecting a sleeker, tighter, and more nimble look.

omicron

I say; are those smaller headlights? I should like to see the GT with the lower bonnet line and these headlights.

SVT666

Quote from: omicron on September 10, 2008, 09:08:46 AM
I say; are those smaller headlights? I should like to see the GT with the lower bonnet line and these headlights.
They are smaller headlights.  I can't wait to see what the GT looks like with them because my only complaint with the current GT is the big flat expansive hood.  Hopefully the new hood will have some shape to it with those smaller headlights.

FoMoJo

I'm not so sure about the back-end...if that's really what it's going to look like.  The front definately screams Cobra though.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

FlatBlackCaddy

Onslaught

From what I can tell I like the older one more.

Nethead

Quote from: HEMI666 on September 10, 2008, 09:03:23 AM
The Shelby GT500 is a relatively new addition to the Mustang family, launched a little over two years ago. But with a redesigned Mustang around the corner, Ford engineers are naturally preparing a new GT500 based on the facelifted bodystyle ? including a new convertible.
Our photographers spotted the Shelby GT500 undergoing testing this afternoon ? marking one of the first times the car has been on public roads, and the first sighting of the drop top. We?ve got crystal-sharp images showing the grille with mesh detailing under the camouflage. And ? in previous shots ? with the tape tightly down on the center of the steering wheel ? one can even make out the ?Cobra? emblem! Lots of interior details are coming through loud and clear ? just don?t expect the laptop to be an option!
The unique Shelby grille and hood scoops are clearly visible, as are the headlamps and other previously hidden styling features.
Performance details of the updated model remain a mystery. Whether Ford is shooting for a higher horsepower rating in these fuel-conscious times is unknown. Certainly, the current Shelby?s 500 horsepower rating is nothing to sneeze at!
As recently noted, Ford decided to make the new Mustang?s exterior look smaller, even though overall dimensions are the same. ?By cleverness in design, we?ve been able to make it look like the wheels are further out, further forward and further rearward,? design chief Peter Horbury said. How this will translate into the GT500 series isn?t hard to imagine ? we?re expecting a sleeker, tighter, and more nimble look.

HEMI666:  If this is the next GT500, then the flush air extractor vents on the hood are a great improvement over the raised air extractor vents on the hood of the current GT500.  OTOH, the grille appears to reach even higher than the too-high grille of the current GT500, which negates all the accolades for the improved air extractor vents of the hood.  Shelby oughtta insist upon equipping the new GT500 with the hood of the Terlingua Racing Team Mustang :wub:--or at the very least the hood from the Shelby GT-H if the Terlingua's hood can't clear the supercharger drive or the intercooler hardware.
So many stairs...so little time...