Camry Hybrid, Chery too much like Chevy, and Jag..

Started by BMWDave, May 10, 2005, 05:42:54 PM

BMWDave

Car News briefs: Hybrid Camry coming to U.S., reports say; GM not happy with Chery name
Jaguar appears headed in crossover direction
AUTOMOTIVE NEWS
Posted Date: 5/10/05
Toyota's next U.S. hybrid will be a Camry, according to Japanese press reports. Look for its arrival next year.

Because the Camry shares its underpinnings with the Lexus RX and Toyota Highlander wagons - which have hybrid variants reaching dealers now - adapting the powertrain to the Camry shouldn't be a big stretch.

Will the hybrid Camry roll out of Toyota's plant in Georgetown, Ky., which builds most Camrys sold in the United States? Toyota's U.S. execs have pressed for hybrid production in U.S. plants, and an announcement is expected this summer.

GM: Chery name not welcome

DETROIT -- General Motors' lawyers have sent Visionary Vehicles LLC founder Malcolm Bricklin a letter not to use the Chery brand name in the United States.

Bricklin plans to sell vehicles built by China's Chery Automobile Co. in the United States starting in 2007.

GM "said Chery sounds too much like Chevy," Bricklin says. "I don't think so. ? They don't want Chinese cars coming into the U.S."

GM spokeswoman Geri Lama says the letter was "prompted by seeing in the media that they hadn't decided on a name for the vehicles in the United States." -GAIL KACHADOURIAN

Jag appears headed in crossover direction

The club of luxury automakers without an SUV or sport wagon is pretty small - and it looks like Jaguar is ready to bail.

Jaguar CEO Joe Greenwell told the Automotive News Europe Congress in Barcelona, Spain, last week that the British luxury carmaker may trample tradition and add a vehicle that's a tad more trucklike.

"I think what is loosely defined as the crossover segment has rather more potential for us than an SUV," Greenwell said.

Any such vehicle would have to fit in with Jaguar's premium philosophy, he added.

Article

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

ifcar

A 2007 Camry Hybrid makes sense, that's the year of its redesign if it continues to follow Toyota's typical five-year life cycle.

The Chery vs. Chevrolet argument is stupid, I agree with Bricklin that GM is just trying to make things difficult for Chinese imports to get started in the US. Chery only looks like Chevrolet's nickname, there's no other relationship.

And the Jaguar Crossover is a terrible idea. Jaguar just announced that they would kill off the X-Type because they wanted to move the brand back upmarket, and now they're going to sell off their heritage again for easy sales.  

BMWDave

QuoteA 2007 Camry Hybrid makes sense, that's the year of its redesign if it continues to follow Toyota's typical five-year life cycle.

The Chery vs. Chevrolet argument is stupid, I agree with Bricklin that GM is just trying to make things difficult for Chinese imports to get started in the US. Chery only looks like Chevrolet's nickname, there's no other relationship.

And the Jaguar Crossover is a terrible idea. Jaguar just announced that they would kill off the X-Type because they wanted to move the brand back upmarket, and now they're going to sell off their heritage again for easy sales.
I agree a Jag Crossover is a bad idea.  And I can justify GM's resentment at this stupid Chery, since they are wantonly ripping off their designs in other markets.  So if I was GM, I would try to make it hardest for this Chery to gain a foothold in the US.  

2007 Honda S2000

93JC

QuoteThe Chery vs. Chevrolet argument is stupid, I agree with Bricklin that GM is just trying to make things difficult for Chinese imports to get started in the US. Chery only looks like Chevrolet's nickname, there's no other relationship.
"Chevy" is a copyrighted by GM, as far as I know. Come on man: "Chery" only looks like "Chevy"? That's the whole point!

BMW had taken (or at least threatened to take) Zastava Motor Works (the same company that built the Yugo, and had planned to return to the US market a couple years ago) to court over the moniker "ZMW". Here in Canada it's not as much of a problem, since, you know, we actually speak English and know that the letter 'Z' is pronounced "ZED", but in the States... ZEE-em-double-you versus BEE-em-double-you? Blatant!

Coincidentally, guess who was going to bring ZMWs to the States? MALCOLM BRICKLIN!!

The guy's a scam-artist. He has been for decades. "Chery" is an affront to GM's "Chevy", and everyone knows it. I'd try to make things difficult for Bricklin too.

BMWDave

QuoteThe Chery vs. Chevrolet argument is stupid, I agree with Bricklin that GM is just trying to make things difficult for Chinese imports to get started in the US. Chery only looks like Chevrolet's nickname, there's no other relationship.
"Chevy" is a copyrighted by GM, as far as I know. Come on man: "Chery" only looks like "Chevy"? That's the whole point!

BMW had taken (or at least threatened to take) Zastava Motor Works (the same company that built the Yugo, and had planned to return to the US market a couple years ago) to court over the moniker "ZMW". Here in Canada it's not as much of a problem, since, you know, we actually speak English and know that the letter 'Z' is pronounced "ZED", but in the States... ZEE-em-double-you versus BEE-em-double-you? Blatant!

Coincidentally, guess who was going to bring ZMWs to the States? MALCOLM BRICKLIN!!

The guy's a scam-artist. He has been for decades. "Chery" is an affront to GM's "Chevy", and everyone knows it. I'd try to make things difficult for Bricklin too.
I hope they go bankrupt.  Their copying and ripped off cars are a shame to the worldwide auto industry.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

I hope they go bankrupt.  Their copying and ripped off cars are a shame to the worldwide auto industry.
Any additional vehicles brought to the market increase competition, which is better for the consumer. People need to stop complaining about trivialities and wait until the cars come out before deciding that they ought to fail.

BMWDave

Any additional vehicles brought to the market increase competition, which is better for the consumer. People need to stop complaining about trivialities and wait until the cars come out before deciding that they ought to fail.
When I look at what they are doing in other global markets, it sickens me.  A automaker that does this is a disgrace to the industry, and must not be tolerated.  It doesnt matter if they dont sell their ripped off cars in the US, they still make them in other markets.  They are a total abomination and I hope they fail.

2007 Honda S2000

bobwill

QuoteTRADEMARK INFORMATION
GM, the GM Logo, Chevrolet, the Chevrolet Logo, OnStar, the OnStar Emblem and the slogans, emblems, vehicle model names, vehicle body designs and other marks appearing in this website are the trademarks and/or service marks of General Motors Corporation, its subsidiaries, affiliates or licensors. Astro, Blazer, Big Dooley, Camaro, the Camaro Emblem, Cavalier, Chevy Express, Corvette, the Corvette Emblem, Impala, the Impala Emblem, Malibu, Monte Carlo, S-10, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe, Tracker, TrailBlazer, Venture, Xtreme, Z28, Z71, ZR1, ZR2, Autoride, Autotrac, Cobalt, Crew Cab, Delco, Delco Electronics, the Delco Emblem, Delco-Loc II, Dexron, EV1, ETR, The GM Card, GM Certified Used Vehicles, GM Motor Club, GM Protection Plan, Insta-Trac, National Corvette Museum and design, PASSlock, Solar-Ray, Z06 and 1-800-CHEV-USA are registered trademarks of General Motors Corporation. Avalanche, Chevy, Convert-a-Cab, Custom Rapid Delivery, GM Alternative Fuels, GM Parts, GM Performance Parts, MagBeam, Malibu Maxx, Midgate, the Monte Carlo Emblem, PRO-TEC, RoomFirst, SSR, Uplander, Vortec and Yooper are trademarks of the General Motors Corporation.

http://www.chevrolet.com/copyright/

Coke isn't officially called coke, it's coca cola.  Good luck trying to bring a product to market with coke in its name, or even a font that resembles the coca cola font.

BMWDave

QuoteTRADEMARK INFORMATION
GM, the GM Logo, Chevrolet, the Chevrolet Logo, OnStar, the OnStar Emblem and the slogans, emblems, vehicle model names, vehicle body designs and other marks appearing in this website are the trademarks and/or service marks of General Motors Corporation, its subsidiaries, affiliates or licensors. Astro, Blazer, Big Dooley, Camaro, the Camaro Emblem, Cavalier, Chevy Express, Corvette, the Corvette Emblem, Impala, the Impala Emblem, Malibu, Monte Carlo, S-10, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe, Tracker, TrailBlazer, Venture, Xtreme, Z28, Z71, ZR1, ZR2, Autoride, Autotrac, Cobalt, Crew Cab, Delco, Delco Electronics, the Delco Emblem, Delco-Loc II, Dexron, EV1, ETR, The GM Card, GM Certified Used Vehicles, GM Motor Club, GM Protection Plan, Insta-Trac, National Corvette Museum and design, PASSlock, Solar-Ray, Z06 and 1-800-CHEV-USA are registered trademarks of General Motors Corporation. Avalanche, Chevy, Convert-a-Cab, Custom Rapid Delivery, GM Alternative Fuels, GM Parts, GM Performance Parts, MagBeam, Malibu Maxx, Midgate, the Monte Carlo Emblem, PRO-TEC, RoomFirst, SSR, Uplander, Vortec and Yooper are trademarks of the General Motors Corporation.

http://www.chevrolet.com/copyright/

Coke isn't officially called coke, it's coca cola.  Good luck trying to bring a product to market with coke in its name, or even a font that resembles the coca cola font.
Yup, thats what its all about.  You just cant do things that are even remotely similar to another manufacturer.  Unfortuantely, this abomination called Chery wants to copy everything...their symbols, their cars, their names.  :angry:  

2007 Honda S2000