IFCAR Comparison: 7-passenger family vehicles

Started by ifcar, September 11, 2008, 01:10:24 PM

2o6

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on September 13, 2008, 10:14:41 PM
Just because you have kids doesn't mean you need to have a damn playroom on wheels.

My mom drove an '87 Pontiac 6000 when I was a kid. I don't understand the need for more room than that.

I do! My mom drove an E-series for years.......everything else after that feels rather cramped.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on September 13, 2008, 10:14:41 PM
Just because you have kids doesn't mean you need to have a damn playroom on wheels.

My mom drove an '87 Pontiac 6000 when I was a kid. I don't understand the need for more room than that.

Well, for starters when you were a kid, the safety nazis had not yet convinced everyone everywhere that you youngin's had to be strapped into a carseat until you were fourteen.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

SVT666

Quote from: TBR on September 13, 2008, 10:32:30 AM
You're an ass, you know that?
Thanks, you have no idea how much that means to me.

QuoteIf Madman has a 10 and 13 year old then one would presume they were the age of your kids at some point so he knows what he is talking about. And, I am 95% certain that he has never owned a minivan or suv (in fact, I think he has had at least the 740 for as long as his kids have been alive).
Have you even seen how big a car seat is nowadays?  10 years ago, car seats were half the size they are now.  We also have a double stroller that even when folded up is 3 fucking feet long, 2 feet wide, and 18" high.  That's the most compact one we could find.  I also never said a minivan was a must have, just that it sure makes life a whole fuckuva lot easier when you got all that shit to take with you all the time. 

Oh and by the way, my kids are that age right now, so I think I know what I'm talking about.

SVT666

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 13, 2008, 10:28:25 PM
Well, for starters when you were a kid, the safety nazis had not yet convinced everyone everywhere that you youngin's had to be strapped into a carseat until you were fourteen.
People who don't have kids have no idea.  My son's car seat is one of those bucket things they have to be in until they are 20 lbs, when (in Canada at least) they have to be put into a rear facing car seat that takes up more room then someone who's 6'5".  My son's carseat doesn't even fit in my Focus when all 4 of us want to go somewhere.  If it's just he and I, I can put his car seat behind the passenger seat that has to be moved up. 

Raza

Quote from: HEMI666 on September 12, 2008, 11:13:15 PM
I said the same thing.  So did my wife.  Guess what our next vehicle is:  Honda Odyssey.  The sliding doors and the seat height for loading and unloading kids is what won us over.  We've rented minivans on holidays and we always get back home wishing that we had bought one.

Nah, that won't be me.  I don't even want kids.

And I still say if you have fewer than three kids, you don't really need a minivan.  My parents raised two children without a minivan, and we had  an SUV for a short time, but got rid of it in about a year. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: HEMI666 on September 13, 2008, 11:21:54 PM
People who don't have kids have no idea.  My son's car seat is one of those bucket things they have to be in until they are 20 lbs, when (in Canada at least) they have to be put into a rear facing car seat that takes up more room then someone who's 6'5".  My son's carseat doesn't even fit in my Focus when all 4 of us want to go somewhere.  If it's just he and I, I can put his car seat behind the passenger seat that has to be moved up. 

I turned my sons' carseats around when they were like 6 months. I figure I've got at least as much chance of getting rear-ended as I do being involved in a head-on.

My wife thinks I'm taking too many chances that way. Oh well.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=15807.msg880229#msg880229 date=1221369917
Nah, that won't be me.  I don't even want kids.

And I still say if you have fewer than three kids, you don't really need a minivan.  My parents raised two children without a minivan, and we had  an SUV for a short time, but got rid of it in about a year. 
Will somebody please show me where I said you had to have a minivan with kids?

SVT666

When I was a kid my sister and I shared a seatbelt in the middle of a regular cab F-250 (true story), so I don't see why anyone needs more then a regular cab pickup if they have kids. :rolleyes:

Cookie Monster

RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Raza

Quote from: HEMI666 on September 13, 2008, 11:39:40 PM
Will somebody please show me where I said you had to have a minivan with kids?

Show me where I said you said that.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

nickdrinkwater

At one time my parents had to look after 3 children and the biggest cars they ever needed were Peugeot and Citroen estates (5 seats).

TBR

Quote from: HEMI666 on September 13, 2008, 11:18:19 PM
Thanks, you have no idea how much that means to me.
Have you even seen how big a car seat is nowadays?  10 years ago, car seats were half the size they are now.  We also have a double stroller that even when folded up is 3 fucking feet long, 2 feet wide, and 18" high.  That's the most compact one we could find.  I also never said a minivan was a must have, just that it sure makes life a whole fuckuva lot easier when you got all that shit to take with you all the time. 

Oh and by the way, my kids are that age right now, so I think I know what I'm talking about.

Madman has also had kids at that age so he knows what he's talking about as well. He was also speaking from a cargo room perspective.

TBR

Quote from: HEMI666 on September 13, 2008, 11:21:54 PM
People who don't have kids have no idea. 

And people who do have kids but don't agree with you are just wrong.

SVT666

Quote from: TBR on September 14, 2008, 09:05:34 AM
And people who do have kids but don't agree with you are just wrong.
I was referring to people who don't have kids and think a Honda Civic is all anyone needs.

SVT666

Quote from: TBR on September 14, 2008, 09:05:13 AM
Madman has also had kids at that age so he knows what he's talking about as well. He was also speaking from a cargo room perspective.
For cargo, a station wagon is great.  No arguments there.

SVT666

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on September 14, 2008, 04:00:01 AM
At one time my parents had to look after 3 children and the biggest cars they ever needed were Peugeot and Citroen estates (5 seats).
They also didn't have the safety nazis to deal with. Car seats are so big now, you can't put three of them in the back seat of a sedan or station wagon and kids have to be in them until they are 8 years old now.  I'm not saying it's impossible to do without a minivan, I'm saying it's better and easier with a minivan.  Nobody can argue that, and if you do argue that then you have no idea of what you speak. 

My parents had two kids and we made do with a regular cab F-250.  It's impossible to do that now.  Rules and regulations change and what was once possible, is not anymore.

TBR

TBR

Quote from: HEMI666 on September 14, 2008, 09:44:04 AM
I was referring to people who don't have kids and think a Honda Civic is all anyone needs.

To madman:
"Read what I wrote again.  I said the need for a minivan will be far less when the kids get older and there is no need to bring along a large double stroller, playpen, diaper bag, etc. etc.  The older they get, ironically, the less room you need.  The older they get, the emphasis is on legroom in the back seat more then anything.  When they are babies and toddlers, the emphasis is only back seat space and moreso on luggage space.  I'll take a picture of our car the next time we go to the mall."

Also, the person I bought my Prelude from sold it because she had a baby and needed more room so she bought a Corolla.

Eye of the Tiger

True story, my dad was going to get a new IROC-Z, but then I came along and ruined his fun so instead he got a Monte Carlo SS. Didn't need a station wagon or one of those new fangled Caravans... until 10 years later he discovered how roomy the damn things were after seeing the one my grandpa got, and he's been driving the damn things ever since. He insists he will keep his Sienna even though us kids are gone because "it drives just like a car, but it has so much room and gets good gas mileage"  :cry:  When fun to drive and/or image dont' register as priorities, the stupid vans make more sense than anything else.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

CJ

Who cares how many kids you have?  If you want a van, GET A VAN.  Van's just have more cargo room and more people room, and with kids, that's important.

the Teuton

I drive a 4.5-passenger station wagon.  People should buy cars on what they need -- not because some standard says "have kids, sell your sense of fun and buy a minivan."
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

280Z Turbo

Quote from: the Teuton on September 14, 2008, 12:09:36 PM
I drive a 4.5-passenger station wagon.  People should buy cars on what they need -- not because some standard says "have kids, sell your sense of fun and buy a minivan."

Sell your penis as well, because you won't be using that ever again either.

SVT666

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on September 14, 2008, 12:27:31 PM
Sell your penis as well, because you won't be using that ever again either.
See that's the problem.  You just hate vans because because you're insecure.  I guarantee that men who own minivans (except Iffy) get their noodle wet a helluva lot more then those who own Corvettes.

the Teuton

Quote from: HEMI666 on September 15, 2008, 09:20:55 AM
See that's the problem.  You just hate vans because because you're insecure.  I guarantee that men who own minivans (except Iffy) get their noodle wet a helluva lot more then those who own Corvettes.

Men who own minivans generally have a guaranteed noodle-wetter, too, whereas Vette owners might be midlife crises divorcees or young, rich, and single.

Put it in perspective, Hemi.  They both have their perks, per se.  I'd rather have the Vette, though.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

SVT666

Quote from: the Teuton on September 15, 2008, 09:42:02 AM
Men who own minivans generally have a guaranteed noodle-wetter, too, whereas Vette owners might be midlife crises divorcees or young, rich, and single.

Put it in perspective, Hemi.  They both have their perks, per se.  I'd rather have the Vette, though.
You bet.  Personally I would rather be married to my guaranteed noodle-wetter and own a minivan. :lol:

Laconian

The Vette says "I can't get it up", whereas minivans are a symbol of superior fertility! The Vette will dust you at the spotlight, but deep down inside you smirk because you know whose genetic material will eventually win the race.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

the Teuton

Quote from: Laconian on September 15, 2008, 10:32:35 AM
The Vette says "I can't get it up", whereas minivans are a symbol of superior fertility! The Vette will dust you at the spotlight, but deep down inside you smirk because you know whose genetic material will eventually win the race.

So what does a Miata say?

Laconian

The Miata drives about footloose and fancy-free. The Miata's lifestyle choice makes having children impossible, anyways.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT