Aston Martin DB9 manual

Started by BMWDave, July 27, 2005, 09:31:44 AM

BMWDave

Aston Martin DB9 manual  

Eeal sports cars are fitted with manual gearboxes. That's the view held by driving enthusiasts right across the world - and it is a serious problem for Aston Martin.

Since its launch last year, the firm's DB9 has come in automatic guise only. And predictably, the system has been criticised by some drivers, who want greater involvement. The good news is that the message has got through to the Ford-owned maker, which has finally added a manual to the line-up. We took control to see if the new box can shift the supercar's thrills up a gear.

The heart of any Aston is its engine, and the DB9 manual shares the same 6.0-litre V12 unit as its self-shifting brother. With 450bhp and 570Nm of torque fed to the rear wheels, the auto is very fast. However, enthusiasts will be pleased to find that the manual gearbox makes the DB9 even faster.

Slot the short-throw lever into first and unleash the power via the accurate clutch pedal, and the Aston accelerates like a drag racer. The company claims a 0-60mph time of 4.8 seconds, which is 0.1 seconds quicker than the auto.

But more than that, the DB9 offers true supercar performance in any gear. In fact, sticking to the 70mph motorway limit is a challenge. We still have one or two concerns, though. Driven on some of the best roads in Wales, the Aston proved that despite its incredible pace, it is far from perfect.

As with every DB9 we have ever tested, the manual's rear suspension damping leaves the two-door feeling unsettled in corners. While we have never suffered an unexpected loss of traction, the set-up does not inspire confidence.

However, most of the time the DB9 will be driven well within its limits, leaving owners to enjoy its true sense of occasion. The styling is breathtaking, making rivals from Porsche and Bentley seem sterile in comparison.

Inside, the sharp design continues, but the build quality on our model was hardly befitting a car costing more than ?100,000 - some of the trim was coming loose by the driver's seat.

Buyers who choose the manual do at least get a ?3,000 discount over the auto, although at ?103,000 this DB9 is not cheap. Yet while your average grand tourer might be better off with an automatic gearbox, we reckon swapping the DB9's cogs yourself is a wise move.
Chris Thorp

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

BMWDave

This review seems kind of biased...I believe most auto publications think the interior of the DB9 is one of the most exquisitely crafted on the planet, with the most attention to detail.  They must have gotten a lemon to have trim pieces coming off.

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

QuoteThis review seems kind of biased...I believe most auto publications think the interior of the DB9 is one of the most exquisitely crafted on the planet, with the most attention to detail.  They must have gotten a lemon to have trim pieces coming off.
Just because they didn't like the interior doesn't mean they are biased.

BMWDave

QuoteThis review seems kind of biased...I believe most auto publications think the interior of the DB9 is one of the most exquisitely crafted on the planet, with the most attention to detail.  They must have gotten a lemon to have trim pieces coming off.
Just because they didn't like the interior doesn't mean they are biased.
The drive surely isnt as bad as they made it out to be.  This is what car and driver said:

"Some found it difficult to achieve a comfortable driving position, and others complained of poor visibility because of that long, steeply raked windshield and high dashboard. But this author, who drove the Aston 900 miles from England to Italy, reckoned it was the nicest of the four cars to be in.

All our drivers praised its excellent handling. "Terrific body control," wrote Robinson. And it was good to see that Aston has the confidence to offer just one damper setting for all reasons?no variable damping or sport mode for its suspension. The ride is firm but never jarringly so. Our only question in this regard is the high steering effort required at low speeds."

2007 Honda S2000

BMWDave

This is what C/D said about the interior:

"It also has an interior that is as carefully tailored as a Savile Row suit, with flawless leather hides, lovely contours, and handsome wood accents."

2007 Honda S2000

R33 GT-R

Yep they tried to guise their emotions with a few good jobs but this person has a problem with AM.
Dubbed:  Skanky Whore!

TBR

So what? Handling is subjective.  

BMWDave

Heres what R/T had to say about the interior:

"Inside, the DB9 is superb. It's modern and clean, using traditional wood and leather but in a fresh new way. The center console sweeps down from the windshield unlike any other car, a design feature that is emphasized by use of semi-matte rather than highly-polished walnut. The same wood finish is used on the door-cappings and it's a style others will copy. The gray and silver instruments are jewel-like, superb pieces of detail design that can only be described as intricate simplicity, looking good in daylight and even better at night. Digital readouts in the main dials show miscellaneous information in the speedo and an admirably clear readout of actual speed in the rev counter."

I doubt they would say that if trim pieces were falling off.

2007 Honda S2000

BMWDave

QuoteSo what? Handling is subjective.
All right, what about the interior?  They were either biased, or got a lemon.

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

Not liking a car doesn't make you biased, and maybe their car just had more miles than other test cars have had.  

R33 GT-R

QuoteSo what? Handling is subjective.
All right, what about the interior?  They were either biased, or got a lemon.
Yea, this is what tipped me off as well.  As if AM would send out a car to be tested with shit falling off of it.  Everything about them is pretty much impecable but these guys get a car with stuff falling off inside.  Not very convincing of a handcrafted interior.

TBR

Toyota has done it before, what makes you think Aston wouldn't? Do you think they are making all this up in an elaborate plan for the destruction of Aston Martin? Be reasonable.  

R33 GT-R

QuoteToyota has done it before, what makes you think Aston wouldn't? Do you think they are making all this up in an elaborate plan for the destruction of Aston Martin? Be reasonable.
As if one article could destruct them, it's pointless anyway.

R33 GT-R

And you lump Toyota and AM together, that's reasonable.

TBR

QuoteAnd you lump Toyota and AM together, that's reasonable.
If Toyota, who has a reputation for quality, has sent out a lemon for a test car than it isn't unreasonable to think that Aston, who has a reputation for poor quality vehicles, would send out a lemon for a test car.  

BMWDave

QuoteToyota has done it before, what makes you think Aston wouldn't? Do you think they are making all this up in an elaborate plan for the destruction of Aston Martin? Be reasonable.
Who ever said anything about a plan to destroy aston martin :lol:

I was merely saying they were biased.  And a 30K toyota is a hell of a lot different than a 160K aston martin.

2007 Honda S2000

BMWDave

QuoteAnd you lump Toyota and AM together, that's reasonable.
If Toyota, who has a reputation for quality, has sent out a lemon for a test car than it isn't unreasonable to think that Aston, who has a reputation for poor quality vehicles, would send out a lemon for a test car.
They have a record for horrible reliability, just like jaguars.  that in now way equates to bad quality.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

That's not really the point, Dave. What TBR is saying is that other manufacturers have also sent out lemons as press cars.

BMWDave

QuoteThat's not really the point, Dave. What TBR is saying is that other manufacturers have also sent out lemons as press cars.
Thats a possibility.  But all other mags didnt seem to get a lemon, so I dont know.

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

Not all mags got lemon Avalons, but some did. You can't call a mag biased just because they don't like a car that you like, they have a whole lot more experience with the DB9 than you do.

BMWDave

QuoteNot all mags got lemon Avalons, but some did. You can't call a mag biased just because they don't like a car that you like, they have a whole lot more experience with the DB9 than you do.
I later said they were biased, or they got a lemon.  A lemon, however unprobable it may be, would explain the situation.  And like I said, almost universal praise has been heaped upon its interior, so if they call it junky, I have reason to suspect.

2007 Honda S2000

R33 GT-R

TBR

QuoteNot all mags got lemon Avalons, but some did. You can't call a mag biased just because they don't like a car that you like, they have a whole lot more experience with the DB9 than you do.
I later said they were biased, or they got a lemon.  A lemon, however unprobable it may be, would explain the situation.  And like I said, almost universal praise has been heaped upon its interior, so if they call it junky, I have reason to suspect.
Not agreeing with everyone doesn't mean you're biased, a lot of things are subjective.  

BMWDave

Not agreeing with everyone doesn't mean you're biased, a lot of things are subjective.
I can understand that for styling, but when almost every magazine has said its a very high quality interior, and this one magazine says it isnt, I have reason to suspect.  Either this guy doesnt know what a hgh quality interior looks like, in which case you could say he isnt biased, or he is biased and just calling it junky.

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

How many British people are biased against British cars?  

BMWDave

QuoteHow many British people are biased against British cars?
Why dont you look it up?  :rolleyes:

I have no idea, nor does it matter.  Thats called stereotyping, and I am just working with what I see here.  I couldnt care less if the guy was Indian :lol: ; there are some statements in this review that point to an underlying dislike for the car.

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

No, there really aren't.  

R33 GT-R

Well of course there are, you just fail to see them.

Boo Ya!

giant_mtb

All this jibber jabber...let's get to the point...the DB9 is one of the most beautiful cars on the planet.