What could happen to me?

Started by Raza , September 21, 2008, 08:57:32 PM

Raza

Okay, say hypothetically I make the bad decision to drive home with a drunk driver, because I am also drunk.  The drunk driver gets pulled over and is given a DUI.

Can anything happen to me?  I'm of age, and I wasn't operating the vehicle.  It's not illegal to be a passenger under the influence, is it?

And if I'm in the clear, would it be out of line to ask the cop for a ride home? 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

GoCougs

Why would you ever think you'd be in trouble for DUI when someone else was driving???

If the driver is underage and you're not, I could see issues, but they'd not be DUI issues (for you at least).

No question is out of line, but I'd expect at best a 2% chance of success. If he refuses, I'd demand he call a cab.

Soup DeVille

If its close, and if the officer doesn't have to cart off your friend in the backseat, and if you're polite and cooperative, I'd bet 90% would give you a ride; if not all the way home, at least to a place where you can sit and have  cup of coffee while you wait for a cab or something.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

3.0L V6

Quote from: Raza  on September 21, 2008, 08:57:32 PM
Okay, say hypothetically I make the bad decision to drive home with a drunk driver, because I am also drunk.  The drunk driver gets pulled over and is given a DUI.

Can anything happen to me?  I'm of age, and I wasn't operating the vehicle.  It's not illegal to be a passenger under the influence, is it?

And if I'm in the clear, would it be out of line to ask the cop for a ride home? 

No. Unless you were aggressive/a jerk. Then he might nail you with public intoxication if he wanted to, I suppose.

As for asking for a ride home, you'd have to get a feel for their mood.

sparkplug

What makes you think you won't have an accidents first that you get killed in?

Then you get buried. Your parents get divorced. Your VW gets crushed. Your boss plants stuff on your computer so it looks like you're a bad employee. Your co workers mourn then steal the stuff out of your cubicle/office. The bills don't get paid. Your company goes bankrupt. The stock market collapses.  Electricity gets turned off spoiling all the food including that lasagna in the fridge. The dog starves to death and the goldfish freezes in the water. The lawn doesn't get mowed. And the worst part of all....... No more sex.

On the other hand if don't have an accident and the police pull you over then you might go to jail and they then castrate you which means .... No more sex.

Moral of the story.... Always have a designated driver. Everybody else can be the designated drunk.
Getting stoned, one stone at a time.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: sparkplug on September 21, 2008, 09:39:09 PM
What makes you think you won't have an accidents first that you get killed in?

Then you get buried. Your parents get divorced. Your VW gets crushed. Your boss plants stuff on your computer so it looks like you're a bad employee. Your co workers mourn then steal the stuff out of your cubicle/office. The bills don't get paid. Your company goes bankrupt. The stock market collapses.  Electricity gets turned off spoiling all the food including that lasagna in the fridge. The dog starves to death and the goldfish freezes in the water. The lawn doesn't get mowed. And the worst part of all....... No more sex.

On the other hand if don't have an accident and the police pull you over then you might go to jail and they then castrate you which means .... No more sex.

Moral of the story.... Always have a designated driver. Everybody else can be the designated drunk.

You're a sort of "glass is half empty" kind of guy, aren't you?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

sparkplug

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 21, 2008, 09:40:11 PM

Nah. I'm more of the "Hey, someone drunk half my beer." kind of guy.
Getting stoned, one stone at a time.

bing_oh

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 21, 2008, 09:40:11 PM

Sounds more like a realist to me...

Back on track...if you're so smoked that you can't take care of yourself, then I could arrest you for Disorderly Conduct (Ohio doesn't have a "public intox" law anymore, it's all under DOC). If you're good enough to walk, I'd tell you to get on your horse and ride. The only ride you MIGHT get would be back to station to call for a sober ride home, since that's where I'll be taking you're designated drunk driver for a test. I don't give drunks rides home...I'm responsible when I go out drinking and make arrangements for a safe way home at the end of the night, so my opinion is that you can do exactly the same.

dazzleman

If you're riding around with a drunk, getting arrested should be the least of your worries.  This is true even if you are driving.  An arrest is a lot beTter than getting maimed or killed.

I wouldn't expect a ride home from an LEO.  As a cop said to me once "We're not a taxi service."
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Tave

The other day in Denver a cop offered a ride to a friend of mine. :huh:
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.