Chrysler selling Viper as a brand

Started by SVT666, September 24, 2008, 03:26:07 PM

SVT666

Chrysler to start negotiations for Viper brand in ?another three or four weeks?

Chrysler announced late last month that its Viper brand was up for ?strategic review? ? aka ?for sale? ? and it doesn?t look as though the Michigan automaker will waste any time getting the Snake to market. A new report finds that Chrysler will soon begin taking bids for its Viper line, with the possibility of a sale in as little as a few weeks.

Similar to General Motors? decision to sell its Hummer SUV brand, Chrysler?s sale of the Viper brand is intended to bring in some extra cash while allowing the struggling automaker to focus on its core business.

Although Chrysler just announced that it was considering the sale of the Viper brand less than a month ago, Chrysler?s high-performance vehicle line could find itself with a new owner before 2008 is over. ?We?ve had a lot of excitement,? Chrysler Vice Chairman Tom Lasorda told Just-Auto. ?We will start negotiations in probably another three or four weeks.?

Chrysler is in desperate need of a cash influx after losing $400 million during the first eight months of 2008. The automaker also recently announced its plans to have an electric vehicle to market by 2010, which will require a huge investment.

However, fans of high-performance Dodges might not be left out in the cold after Chrysler parts ways with the Viper. Dodge?s future vehicle plans will likely include the recently unveiled Dodge EV, which has a strong focus on performance with the added benefits of zero emissions motoring.

Eye of the Tiger

chrysler blows
bring back the cordoba!  :rage:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

ifcar

Soup DeVille

Oh God please let Steve Saleen buy it.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 24, 2008, 03:45:47 PM

Nope, he's too late. I already have a blank check writtien out to Mr. Chrysler.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

giant_mtb

"However, fans of high-performance Dodges might not be left out in the cold after Chrysler parts ways with the Viper. Dodge?s future vehicle plans will likely include the recently unveiled Dodge EV, which has a strong focus on performance with the added benefits of zero emissions motoring."

Yeah, 'cause I'd much rather have a whizzing, whirring electric vehicle with no soul than a heart-pounding, high-revving V10 vehicle.

:rolleyes:

SVT666

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 24, 2008, 03:45:47 PM
Hmm.  I like that idea, but what about Hennessey?

Soup DeVille

Quote from: HEMI666 on September 24, 2008, 03:55:49 PM
Hmm.  I like that idea, but what about Hennessey?
I've heard some bad things about his business practices.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

SVT666

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 24, 2008, 04:09:07 PM
I've heard some bad things about his business practices.
Apparently that was to do with delivery of cars and it was a few years ago.  However, I haven't heard about his operation since.

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Raza  on September 24, 2008, 06:26:10 PM
Fire sale?

Probably, but Cerberus is being smart about it: breaking the product up into smaller, more manageable segments that may be within the financial reach of many more players. There are very few potential buyers for Chrysler as a whole, but Viper as a stand-alone package may garner lots of interest.

Look for Jeep Wranglers to be packaged next if this move is succesful.

68_427

Some random Indian company will buy it.   :tounge:
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

The Pirate

1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

ifcar

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 24, 2008, 06:29:13 PM
Probably, but Cerberus is being smart about it: breaking the product up into smaller, more manageable segments that may be within the financial reach of many more players. There are very few potential buyers for Chrysler as a whole, but Viper as a stand-alone package may garner lots of interest.

Look for Jeep Wranglers to be packaged next if this move is succesful.

The Jeep brand isn't nearly so badly damaged that only the Wrangler can be saved.

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

the Teuton

Quote from: 565 on September 24, 2008, 09:06:50 PM
Toyota Viper.

Hell yeah.

V10s are so passe.  What that thing needs is a DOHC 5.7 liter V8 with Hybrid Synergy Drive and an 8-speed automatic transmission.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: the Teuton on September 24, 2008, 09:50:27 PM
V10s are so passe.  What that thing needs is a DOHC 5.7 liter V8 with Hybrid Synergy Drive and an 8-speed automatic transmission.

:clap:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Onslaught

Quote from: giant_mtb on September 24, 2008, 03:55:40 PM
"However, fans of high-performance Dodges might not be left out in the cold after Chrysler parts ways with the Viper. Dodge?s future vehicle plans will likely include the recently unveiled Dodge EV, which has a strong focus on performance with the added benefits of zero emissions motoring."

Yeah, 'cause I'd much rather have a whizzing, whirring electric vehicle with no soul than a heart-pounding, high-revving V10 vehicle.

:rolleyes:
If they could make a good one then I'd drive it. A electric car could have soul if it was made right. But I think that's a long way off at this time.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Onslaught on September 24, 2008, 10:29:20 PM
If they could make a good one then I'd drive it. A electric car could have soul if it was made right. But I think that's a long way off at this time.

Indeed, that's why I'd rather not have the "EV".

FlatBlackCaddy

Chrysler needs to sell the viper asap so they can "focus on its core business"

Apparently that core business is making shitty cars.

Schadenfreude

And people complain about GM? When they probably make the best vehicles out of all the American automakers?  :nutty:

SVT666

I think Soup is right, the Viper is going to be an SMS model soon. 

r0tor

I could see saleen buying it or FoMoCo as the viper has shelby routes and all that is shelby is FoMoCo right now...
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

the Teuton

Having a Shelby Viper would be freakin' sweet, but I, too, think it deserves to be an SMS model.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Soup DeVille

Quote from: ifcar on September 24, 2008, 08:50:55 PM
The Jeep brand isn't nearly so badly damaged that only the Wrangler can be saved.

Not that the marque can't be saved, but that the Wrangler alone probably has the best ptential of bringing interested parties to the bidding.

ifcar

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 25, 2008, 03:16:21 PM
Not that the marque can't be saved, but that the Wrangler alone probably has the best ptential of bringing interested parties to the bidding.

The Wrangler is probably the brand's best asset, but I don't think it would need to be spun off like the Viper was from Dodge.

sportyaccordy

Hey if Dodge's next performance car is a hybrid it wouldn't be too bad.

I hooked up a sub to stereo, and because of an awful ground you can hear the revs through the sub. It sounds like an exhaust!

Vinsanity

Quote from: sportyaccordy on September 26, 2008, 06:26:45 AM
I hooked up a sub to stereo, and because of an awful ground you can hear the revs through the sub. It sounds like an exhaust!

You might have just inadvertently discovered the next riceboi phenomenon

S204STi

Quote from: sportyaccordy on September 26, 2008, 06:26:45 AM
Hey if Dodge's next performance car is a hybrid it wouldn't be too bad.

That's called RFI and it's due to shitty spark plug wires most likely.