If you won the lottery...

Started by SVT666, September 25, 2008, 05:34:17 PM

SVT666

If you won the lottery, what would be the very first car you would buy and how would you go about buying it?

SVT666

I would go into a Dodge dealer wearing ratty cutoff jeans, an old AC/DC t-shirt, unshaven, and I would tell the first salesman I see, I want a Viper.

Soup DeVille

It would be the 1965 Dodge Dart about half a mile down the street from me. The guy wants $6500 for it.

Seriously, I figured out long ago that there are a lot of reasonably priced cars that I would love to own, and would probably enjoy more than an exotic. I've always had this fantasy of having a collection of ten to fifteen cars that cost in total no more than a couple hundred thousand.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

SVT666

Quote from: HEMI666 on September 25, 2008, 05:35:22 PM
I would go into a Dodge dealer wearing ratty cutoff jeans, an old AC/DC t-shirt, unshaven, and I would tell the first salesman I see, I want a Viper.
WTF was I thinking?

I would go into an Aston Martin dealer wearing ratty cutoff jeans, an old AC/DC t-shirt, unshaven, and I would tell the first salesman I see, I want a DBS.

Northlands

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 25, 2008, 05:37:03 PM
It would be the 1965 Dodge Dart about half a mile down the street from me. The guy wants $6500 for it.

Seriously, I figured out long ago that there are a lot of reasonably priced cars that I would love to own, and would probably enjoy more than an exotic. I've always had this fantasy of having a collection of ten to fifteen cars that cost in total no more than a couple hundred thousand.

Kind of sounds like what I would want to do, with the exception of wanting to buy one used exotic-ish car a '96 911 Turbo , and a used 2003 NSX. Otherwise the rest of them would land in the reasonable range.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

Eye of the Tiger

I would buy Raza's Jetta and a new Triumph Street Triple.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Northlands

Quote from: HEMI666 on September 25, 2008, 05:38:56 PM
WTF was I thinking?

I would go into an Aston Martin dealer wearing ratty cutoff jeans, an old AC/DC t-shirt, unshaven, and I would tell the first salesman I see, I want a DBS.

Better yet, dress up, and have a couple of personal shoppers with you, head to the nearest BMW dealership and demand a test drive in an Aston Martin DB9. When the salesman either becomes puzzled or wants to correct you, have your personal shoppers go hypersonic on him, rattling on about how they thought that this was a "reputable luxury dealership ", then all three of you  storm out briskly with your noses tilted upwards.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

SVT666

Quote from: Northlands on September 25, 2008, 05:42:20 PM
Better yet, dress up, and have a couple of personal shoppers with you, head to the nearest BMW dealership and demand a test drive in an Aston Martin DB9. When the salesman either becomes puzzled or wants to correct you, have your personal shoppers go hypersonic on him, rattling on about how they thought that this was a "reputable luxury dealership ", then all three of you  storm out briskly with your noses tilted upwards.
:lol:

AutobahnSHO

I'd hit the SHO forum and buy the best 91 "plus" I could find-

Then a few 'parts cars' and have someone totally rebuild it for me-
Will

ChrisV

I only want one new "exotic," anything else would be used (though the used car I want costs more than the new "exotic" I want).

I just want an Aston V8 Vantage. Then I'd pay off my bills, and go looking for a 250 GT Berlinetta Lusso.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Onslaught

I have no idea at all. Part of me would want something exotic like a F430 or Aston. But the realistic side of me would be happy with something as simple as a Cayman S or Z06.
It depends on how much money I got in the first place. One car I know I'd go find is a 93-95 FD RX-7 and restore it to the way it was new. I love that car.

I'd also like to build a car like this for fun. I'm thinking of doing it one day even without the lottery.
http://www.factoryfive.com/gtmhome.html

ifcar

I would get a new Jetta TDI SportWagon and order an extended warranty.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: ifcar on September 25, 2008, 05:52:44 PM
I would get a new Jetta TDI SportWagon and order an extended warranty.

At least tell me you're going to splurge and get the heated seats, right?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

ifcar

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 25, 2008, 06:04:43 PM
At least tell me you're going to splurge and get the heated seats, right?

I don't really see the need for them in cloth seats, at least for relatively mild DC winters. I could probably put the $350 or whatever it is to better use.

EDIT: TDIs don't seem to offer cloth seats. I'll make that a 5-door Rabbit.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: ifcar on September 25, 2008, 06:06:53 PM
I don't really see the need for them in cloth seats, at least for relatively mild DC winters. I could probably put the $350 or whatever it is to better use.

Yeah, you could get like a lifetime subscription to Consumer Reports.

ifcar

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 25, 2008, 06:08:14 PM
Yeah, you could get like a lifetime subscription to Consumer Reports.

Or find a worthwhile charity...

68_427

Corvette ZR1, LP-560, or a V8 Vantage and supercharge it.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

dazzleman

A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on September 25, 2008, 05:44:29 PM
I'd hit the SHO forum and buy the best 91 "plus" I could find-

Then a few 'parts cars' and have someone totally rebuild it for me-

http://maine.craigslist.org/cto/851286609.html
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Payman

I'd buy a '69 Charger, a Porsche GT3, and I'd build a small house with a big garage with a 20 foot electric fence to keep out greedy relatives.

Laconian

I'd buy a Citroen DS and hire a mechanic to maintain it for me. I'd spend the rest of my retirement years wafting about on my hydropneumatic magic carpet, with one wheel intentionally removed when I felt starved for attention.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

2o6

I'd import a Peugeot 206.......one in every bodystyle, even the hideous sedan.

I'd also have to have a Citroen Ami and a Mazda AZ-1 in my garage.

Payman

Rupert

1979 Porsche 911 SC, that late '70s Porsche yellow, hardtop with a sunroof.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Psilos on September 25, 2008, 07:45:39 PM
1979 Porsche 911 SC, that late '70s Porsche yellow, hardtop with a sunroof.

I believe that was "Warbird yellow"

VTEC_Inside

First car I would buy?

Probably an M5... Mainly because I'd want to pick up a couple of my car buddies as I drive around buying the rest of my list.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

Vinsanity

I'd withdraw roughly $60-65k in cash, stuff it into a duffel bag, and then spill it all on the hood of the first 2009 CTS-V I see at the Cadillac dealer. Then I'd drive it over to West Coast Customs and have them paint it matte black and limo tint the windows.

Then I'd use it to go house hunting.

2o6

Quote from: Vinsanity on September 25, 2008, 08:24:43 PM
I'd withdraw roughly $60-65k in cash, stuff it into a duffel bag, and then spill it all on the hood of the first 2009 CTS-V I see at the Cadillac dealer. Then I'd drive it over to West Coast Customs and have them paint it matte black and limo tint the windows.

Then I'd use it to go house hunting.

You mean Toyota Sienna. :lol:

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA