El Camino project car

Started by hotrodalex, October 04, 2008, 12:49:56 PM

SVT_Power

I was seriously considering putting one of these in my car

http://www.corbeau.com/products/fixed_back_seats/forza/

The contour guys did a group buy on them, and they were $200 each.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

hotrodalex

Quote from: SVT_Power on June 04, 2010, 12:15:48 PM
I mean in the seats. The harness bar shouldn't be too hard since your interior is all stripped out already anyway.

Shouldn't need a hole in the seat, they should fit on the side of the headrest. If not, I can raise the headrest.

SVT_Power

Quote from: hotrodalex on June 04, 2010, 01:19:17 PM
Shouldn't need a hole in the seat, they should fit on the side of the headrest. If not, I can raise the headrest.

not as kewl mang  :lol:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

hotrodalex

Driver's seat is finally bolted in. The passenger seat has the front two bolts in, but I ran out of washers for the back two. Should get some more later today.

I sat in the driver's seat for awhile and it's super comfortable. I also got it low enough to get rid of any headroom issues. :rockon:

Quote from: SVT_Power on June 04, 2010, 12:17:17 PM
I was seriously considering putting one of these in my car

http://www.corbeau.com/products/fixed_back_seats/forza/

The contour guys did a group buy on them, and they were $200 each.

I thought about racing buckets, but I didn't wanna go all out. I'm not sure how comfortable they would be on long road trips and of course they are 4 times more expensive (picked up the pair of Mazda3 seats for $90)

Eye of the Tiger

I got one of these. It's made to fit under the headrest.

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

hotrodalex

I think I have figured out what color I'm going to paint it. GM's crystal metallic red is just about perfect. I saw a Corvette with that color paint on it yesterday and it looked great.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: hotrodalex on July 07, 2010, 09:30:15 AM
I think I have figured out what color I'm going to paint it. GM's crystal metallic red is just about perfect. I saw a Corvette with that color paint on it yesterday and it looked great.
That is a nice color. Are you gonna do racing stripes? And what color is the interior gonna be. It would really nice in tan with that shade of red.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

hotrodalex

Quote from: gotta-qik-z28 on July 07, 2010, 02:31:57 PM
That is a nice color. Are you gonna do racing stripes? And what color is the interior gonna be. It would really nice in tan with that shade of red.

I'm probably going to do a little two-tone paint job with the majority of the car being red and the very bottom (6 inches or so) being black. Probably do some sort of pinstripe design down in the black area too (either behind the front wheel or in front of the rear wheel)

Tan would be nice, but it's hard to do tan when you are customizing it. Plus it's already black, so I'm gonna stick with that. The seats are black and red, though.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: hotrodalex on July 07, 2010, 04:50:45 PM
I'm probably going to do a little two-tone paint job with the majority of the car being red and the very bottom (6 inches or so) being black. Probably do some sort of pinstripe design down in the black area too (either behind the front wheel or in front of the rear wheel)

Tan would be nice, but it's hard to do tan when you are customizing it. Plus it's already black, so I'm gonna stick with that. The seats are black and red, though.
:ohyeah:

hotrodalex

Bought a disk brake conversion kit today, including a two inch drop.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: hotrodalex on July 08, 2010, 07:41:55 PM

OMG you coulda gota LS7 instead.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

hotrodalex

hotrodalex

Quote from: hotrodalex on July 08, 2010, 07:41:55 PM

Got the driver's side drum brake assembly off today, should finish the install tomorrow. Gotta figure out what I'm doing with the springs too. They might be big block springs so they'll probably have to go.

hotrodalex

Put the disk brakes on last Saturday and then yesterday I finished off the brake lines and put in the brake booster and master cylinder. They should be ready to go now (though apparently the rear passenger side is leaking). Also put in the new steering box.

It's looking a lot better, especially with the drop spindles. If I get some 1-2 inch lowering springs it will look perfect.

What a tidy work space...

Old:

New:

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

hotrodalex

I've been meaning to build a go-cart with them sometime.

Rupert

Ha, nice.

El Camino is looking pretty good (for a mullet car ;) )!
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

hotrodalex

The rear passenger side brake cylinder exploded for some reason, so that had to be replaced along with the brake shoes since they were covered in brake fluid. Seems like I've only done brake work on it for the longest time.

I think the next step will be cleaning the floor to put insulation and then carpet in. That will be the start of the interior work. I have a new headliner, glove box, and new door hinge to put in. I'm planning on doing a custom center console and door panels. Center console will have gauges, a sub woofer in the very back behind the seats, a CB radio and some storage. The door panels will be a cloth similar to the seats and maybe some red stitching. Possibly some speakers if they fit.

Gotta-Qik-C7

hotrodalex

They come in handy on road trips. Like a radar detector but you don't have to hide it. :ohyeah:

AutobahnSHO

Shiny!

When you're done can you teach me how to do cool stuff to cars?  :lol:
Will

hotrodalex

I'm probably not the best teacher. I mess things up all the time. Luckily on that brake job it came with very good instructions. :lol: The kit I bought was excellent. (I'll shill for them a bit. Got the kit from the guys at getdiskbrakes.com aka Right Stuff Detailing)

Rupert

Mullet cars need CBs. True fact.

hotrodalex

Quote from: Rupert on August 11, 2010, 02:23:25 PM
Mullet cars need CBs. True fact.

I'm thinking dual 8 foot antennas on the front fenders.

:lol:

Rupert

Ha!

All my "mullet car"-ing is in jest, but if you did that, you would, by law, have to have a mullet, a trucker cap, and a wifebeater. :lol:

hotrodalex

Haven't started the car in weeks. Tried two (?) weeks ago and it wasn't getting any gas. Could get it going for a second if I put some gas directly into the carb, but the fuel pump wasn't doing it's job. Replaced that today, but the battery could only turn it over a few times before it quit. Tried to charge it, but that didn't seem to do anything. Hopefully that's the fault of the charger, not the car.

Rupert

hotrodalex

We used a volt meter to test it and it was fine (I'm assuming that's basically what Autozone does?)

Rupert

I can't remember exactly how it works, but you can also test a battery for its ability to hold a charge. The more it's fully discharged, the easier it loses the charge.

hotrodalex

Well I figure I'll mess with it some this weekend. Might just try jumping it if the battery charger doesn't work again. I don't really want to get a new battery at this point, since it's still sitting a lot and I don't want to wear out the new one too. Once it's finished I'll probably be driving it every day though, so a new one would make more sense.