El Camino project car

Started by hotrodalex, October 04, 2008, 12:49:56 PM

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

hotrodalex

My main concern is if it will look right on the car, since it's only a two door, and I'll have to make sure it's applied correctly so I won't have any problems with it peeling.

Positives to tint would be decreased interior temperature on hot days (very nice on hot days, especially w/o A/C), a little privacy (not a ton since it'll be light, but a little), and maybe a little protection for my sound system. You'll still be able to see into the car, but at night it might be harder to see without really peering into the windows.

Secret Chimp

What kind of privacy do you need in a two door cab?

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

hotrodalex

Quote from: Secret Chimp on January 08, 2012, 08:21:38 PM
What kind of privacy do you need in a two door cab?

For when I'm picking my nose at a stop light. :huh:

hotrodalex

Apparently there was a small tack weld on the bottom of the fender that was holding it back when we were trying to move it out of the way of the door. Fixed that and tried to adjust the door, but it's just not fitting correctly. There's still a rather large gap between the door seal and the A-pillar, but the door doesn't seem like it can move forward any farther. Like always, nothing can ever be an easy fix.

Tomorrow I might put the new dash in and see if I can figure something out with the door. I'm going to have to, because my dad doesn't seem willing to sell it unless it's absolutely impossible to fix.

Secret Chimp

Cookie Monster

RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

hotrodalex

Guess what - the new stereo is slightly too tall to fit in the new dash. :facepalm:

I guess I could always get a stock radio to put in the dash just for show, and then have the actual stereo on top of the subwoofer box. Or I could buy a fancy stock looking modern headunit and sell the one I have right now.

hotrodalex

I'm just a few steps away from setting this car on fire and making an insurance claim.

hotrodalex

Got it to fit after chopping up some bits.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: hotrodalex on February 04, 2012, 01:05:06 PM
I'm just a few steps away from setting this car on fire and making an insurance claim.
:lol:   You'll be  :lockedup:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

hotrodalex

Took off the door handles today. The driver's side has never sat right, it's always been angled up. I had assumed it was the fault of the door handle, but it appears to be caused by door skin, which is a little banged up underneath. Hopefully it can be straightened out and the new door handles will sit correctly.

Secret Chimp

You should just leave the body on this thing as-is and throw all your money at rubber burnin'. Rat rod.

Rupert

I agree. It's an old American barge; it was probably misaligned and wiggly from the factory.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

hotrodalex

Quote from: Secret Chimp on February 07, 2012, 12:43:35 AM
You should just leave the body on this thing as-is and throw all your money at rubber burnin'. Rat rod.

I've contemplated it.

hotrodalex

Should I strip all the primer and just clear coat the metal? I'd have to do some bodywork to patch up the bondo spots, but I think it would still be cool. That or a diesel oil rub. Like Rusty Slammington.

Cookie Monster

No.

Rusty Slammington was cool because it's something you'd never see done to a BMW. If you did that to your car, it'd just look ghetto.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Eye of the Tiger

WTF does diesel oil rub do aside from make your car extra smelly and flammable?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

hotrodalex

Quote from: thecarnut on February 07, 2012, 03:35:16 PM
No.

Rusty Slammington was cool because it's something you'd never see done to a BMW. If you did that to your car, it'd just look ghetto.

Already looks ghetto as is. :huh:

:lol:

shp4man

After going back in the the thread and looking at pics of the car I would also say to forget the body for now and get the thing running and driving. What engine and trans are you running?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: hotrodalex on February 07, 2012, 05:14:06 PM
http://www.roadsters.com/gibbs/#how

I use Amsoil HD Metal Protector. It leaves a wax-like protective coating, but also seems to soak into the metal. W/E mang.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

hotrodalex

Quote from: shp4man on February 07, 2012, 05:18:32 PM
After going back in the the thread and looking at pics of the car I would also say to forget the body for now and get the thing running and driving. What engine and trans are you running?

New 350 crate engine and a Saginaw 4 speed. It should all work now, haven't started it in months because I pulled the gas tank and now I'm finishing up the dash board. After I'm done messing with the wiring under the dash I'll reconnect the battery and it should be in good driving shape.

I really like that Gibbs stuff. I wonder what bird droppings would do to it. Guess I could always just carry a can of it around and spray more after I wash off the crap.

Rupert

Soaks into the metal? I would be dubious about that claim. Metal containers can hold anything liquid that doesn't eat through it (corrosives, acids) without anything "soaking" through.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

hotrodalex

Quote from: Rupert on February 07, 2012, 05:58:16 PM
Soaks into the metal? I would be dubious about that claim. Metal containers can hold anything liquid that doesn't eat through it (corrosives, acids) without anything "soaking" through.

Probably just layman's terms.

Rupert

I think it was meant pretty literally at that link. Context suggests they don't actually know what it does.

hotrodalex

What about a clear powder coat?

Secret Chimp

Quote from: Rupert on February 07, 2012, 07:17:21 PM
I think it was meant pretty literally at that link. Context suggests they don't actually know what it does.

If the metal is porous at all, liquids can "soak" in, even if it's just barely into the surface. It may be more of a varnishing effect, but still.

Rupert

Quote from: Secret Chimp on February 16, 2012, 05:48:29 PM
If the metal is porous at all, liquids can "soak" in, even if it's just barely into the surface. It may be more of a varnishing effect, but still.

Liquids can get into all the microscopic dips and imperfections, yes, but a metal surface doesn't absorb.

hotrodalex

Might go hook up some dash lights and then either take out a kick panel to figure out how to mount the speakers, or put some insulation in the driver's door. Nice weather today, so I feel like being productive.