El Camino project car

Started by hotrodalex, October 04, 2008, 12:49:56 PM

hotrodalex

I was much less productive than I wanted to be, but that's not really surprising. Got a few dash lights in, but I wasn't the one who took them out so I'm not exactly sure which ones go where. I'll figure that out on Thursday or Friday.

I haven't been able to figure out how to remove the kick panels. Supposedly the grate/grill cover comes off and you have to remove screws from somewhere, but it won't come off and I see no screws. With my luck the thing was glued together by a previous owner, like the fender was welded to the frame...

Took some pictures of the new dash and cleaned up gauges. Still need to touch up and even repaint the passenger side of the dash board, but it's getting closer. Also cut out a mock up of a center console. The cardboard piece would be a sheet of brushed aluminum in the finished console.

hotrodalex

Hooked up the battery to test the dash lights. Seems most of the important lights are working - turn signals, high beam indicator, etc., as well as the wiper and heater controls.  There are at least two regular lights that are still hanging down, but I got the floor a little wet and don't feel like laying in water to figure it out.

Gas tank is pretty much empty, so I'll have to get a gallon or two before trying to start the engine. Should probably prime the oil, too, since it's been sitting for quite a few months.

hotrodalex

My painter/mechanic friend moved in September, but he gave me another guy's number in case I needed any paint/body work done. Called him up today to see if he could come and take a look at the door and fender alignment. He said he can probably stop by tomorrow morning. Hopefully he can help.

Eye of the Tiger

I thought you gave up and had this up for sale (which is a bad move, IMHSO)
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

hotrodalex

Nope. Thought about it, but didn't do it (yet).

hotrodalex

The body guy didn't come over Saturday - must've been busy. Maybe next weekend.

Might get these to make the speaker installation easier and more professional looking. A little expensive, but I'd rather do it right and spend a little more than have a crappy looking install.

http://www.opgi.com/p/interior-trim/28387/24/CH28447.html

I might have to move the parking brake to accommodate the speakers. If I do, I'll probably find a handle from a newer car and move it to the center console.

Eye of the Tiger

Those'lll look nice.
And yeah, hand brake.

hotrodalex

Just need to go to the junk yard and find a good one. A guy on the El Camino forum is doing the same thing in the next few weeks, so I can let him figure what not to do. :lol:

hotrodalex

The car runs, but not for very long. Fuel pressure sucks. Replaced the filter, so that all works, and I can suck it out of the gas tank. Best guess is there is a blockage somewhere in the ~13 feet of fuel line. Gonna run to autozone and get a long rubber hose, I guess. If it runs with that, then I'll order a new metal fuel line.

hotrodalex

Hooked up a canister of gas to the end of the line and it seemed to run great. Fuel filter was full and there was no problem. Thinking the problem is in the sending unit or the connection between it and the line.

hotrodalex

wtf, it just randomly started to work.

This car is wack. Oh well, I won't complain.

Rupert

Blockage in line made it to the filter? Wasn't any gas in the lines?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

hotrodalex

The lines were empty until last week, since I had the gas tank out for a month or two. Put a few gallons in last week (filled it up to just under quarter of a tank) and then put in some more today, which got it up to just under half a tank. Today I basically took apart the whole fuel system except for dropping the gas tank. Hopefully it's all good now. Technically it's driveable now, but if I want to drive at night then I need to get the dash lights working... :lol: After that it's all just cosmetics and creature comforts (carpet, radio, center console, door panels, overhead console, etc)

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Secret Chimp

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

hotrodalex

Been driving it around the past couple of days, getting the hang of this manual transmission nonsense. Pretty much got it now. The thing is a blast to drive. Nothing like blasting down the road in an old V8 muscle car. It handles better than I expected, too. Probably thanks to the tubular control arms, better alignment, new springs, sway bar, and newer steering rack. :lol:

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: hotrodalex on April 05, 2012, 06:12:41 PM
Been driving it around the past couple of days, getting the hang of this manual transmission nonsense. Pretty much got it now. The thing is a blast to drive. Nothing like blasting down the road in an old V8 muscle car. It handles better than I expected, too. Probably thanks to the tubular control arms, better alignment, new springs, sway bar, and newer steering rack. :lol:

So, you are keeping this now that you've actually driven it and realize it's not a total piece of shit?

Rupert

hotrodalex

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on April 05, 2012, 06:17:48 PM
So, you are keeping this now that you've actually driven it and realize it's not a total piece of shit?

It's only half a piece of shit. :lol:

I really like the car, obviously that's why I got it. It can just be a pain sometimes. Nothing is ever as easy as it should be. I've fixed or replaced some things multiple times. I have most of the parts to make it a pretty nice car, just have to get it all put together. (that's what would make it hard to sell - most of the money I've spent on the car isn't even on the car yet). It'll have to go to a body shop to make it all straight and pretty before it gets painted. Speaking of which, I need to call the bodyman again so he can align my door properly. He didn't show up last time.

hotrodalex

Probably going to get these gauges to put in the overhead console I'll be installing.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Electrical-Oil-Pressure-Gauge-Sunpro_16990028-P_N3342C_P%7CGRP2032_____

Also looking at a way to limit the revs. At first I was just going to use a tach with a rev limiter, but I might just get an MSD module or box.

http://www.jegs.com/i/MSD-Ignition/121/83647/10002/-1?parentProductId=757483

or

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-8728/

I'll have to think about it.

Need to get a new fuse for the instrument panel lights, too. It's an itty bitty one, so there isn't a replacement in the garage already.

Eye of the Tiger

Or you can just shift before it blows up.

Eye of the Tiger

You should make an El Caregal Grand National.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on April 07, 2012, 03:10:53 PM
Or you can just shift before it blows up.

Valve float works good as a rev limiter.

hotrodalex

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on April 09, 2012, 06:12:20 PM
Valve float works good as a rev limiter.

That's probably a more expensive remedy, though.

I actually don't think I'll bother with the rev limiter, at least not right now. Maybe I'll get a whole electronic ignition box and all that fancy stuff in a little while, but until then I don't think I'll have too much trouble keeping the revs under control...

hotrodalex

Oh yeah, got a new fuse for the interior lights. All works now. Parking brake light is on all the time, I'll have to mess with the switch. Also need to hook up the light for the heater controls, it's just dangling in the dashboard right now and lighting up part of the footwell.

Also got new windshield wipers. Was going to hook up the tach that is sitting the garage, but it's too big to put on the steering column. I'll stop by Advance Auto Parts sometime to check out the Sunpro tach they have that might work. Just have to make sure it won't look cheap and/or tacky. Then I'll be able to know what RPM I've been shifting at. Right now it's basically whenever the engine gets pretty loud... :lol:

Secret Chimp

Quote from: hotrodalex on April 09, 2012, 07:45:36 PM
Oh yeah, got a new fuse for the interior lights. All works now. Parking brake light is on all the time, I'll have to mess with the switch. Also need to hook up the light for the heater controls, it's just dangling in the dashboard right now and lighting up part of the footwell.

Also got new windshield wipers. Was going to hook up the tach that is sitting the garage, but it's too big to put on the steering column. I'll stop by Advance Auto Parts sometime to check out the Sunpro tach they have that might work. Just have to make sure it won't look cheap and/or tacky. Then I'll be able to know what RPM I've been shifting at. Right now it's basically whenever the engine gets pretty loud... :lol:

Mine is stylin
http://www.amazon.com/Auto-Meter-2891-Z-Series-Tachometer/dp/B00062YWLA/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1334793210&sr=8-5

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Rupert

I should put a tach in the Exploder.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Rupert on April 18, 2012, 08:52:03 PM
I should put a tach in the Exploder.

Why? It only redlines at 4,500 RPM, and runs out of power after 3,000, so why?

Rupert

Meh, 'cause I like knowing how fast the engine is going.