El Camino project car

Started by hotrodalex, October 04, 2008, 12:49:56 PM

hotrodalex

Me gusta. Gives it a nice DD look.

Ignore any dirty or smudgy pieces in the engine bay. I need to give it a good cleaning.

hotrodalex

Probably going to need a new parking brake cable. Seems to be broken inside of the passenger side drum.

I consider this a good reason to upgrade to rear disks.

Secret Chimp

Quote from: hotrodalex on August 25, 2013, 03:16:00 PM
Probably going to need a new parking brake cable. Seems to be broken inside of the passenger side drum.

I consider this a good reason to upgrade to rear disks...

Why waste money on rear discs when you only have a bed back there?

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

hotrodalex

Easier to work on, look better, I like spending money.

hotrodalex

hotrodalex

New gas cap + some fuel resistant gasket maker on the filler neck stopped the leak. Put the door back on and I'll repaint it sometime this week.

Secret Chimp

Man your dad's Camaro is the best looking. I love those RSes.

hotrodalex

I did a 0-60 run tonight and I think it said 7.5 seconds. That was with a crappy start (turning right at a stoplight), I short shifted a little bit, and I could have sworn a police car turned on its sirens in a nearby parking lot right in the middle. So with a clean run I think it might be sub 7 seconds. I'd say that's pretty good for 260 hp, open diff, and Radial T/As.

hotrodalex

Took the headliner out and ran the wires for the gauges. Also cut the sun visors so they'll clear the overhead console. I have new covers for them so I'll just need to find someone who can stitch them up nicely.

hotrodalex

Since I'll be leaving for Brazil, my dad will get to drive the car for a while. He'll probably finish putting in the headliner, overhead console, and gauges. Good chance he'll also put the electric fans in and whatever other little projects are sitting in the garage waiting to be started/finished.

Or he might find some other old car and mine will end up sitting in the driveway neglected for 2 years. Who knows. :lol:

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

hotrodalex

If my dad had another car, I'd be cool with renting it to 'Spinners for $50/day. :lol:

hotrodalex

Won't be back on the insurance policy until midnight tonight, but went ahead and drove the car around the neighborhood. Still in love with this car. :wub:

Need to figure out a final solution to keep the speakers/sub from rattling. And put the headliner in. Overhead console and gauges are already set up, looks great.

hotrodalex

hotrodalex

Passenger side part of the stereo set up is rattly. Not sure if it can be fixed in the current iteration or if I'll need to make a design change. Tried shoving a folded up dollar bill to fill the gap and absorb the rattle but it didn't fix it super well. Maybe I should have used a $100.

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Soup DeVille

What'd the console come out of? Fits well.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

hotrodalex

I think it was a Blazer. That or some other late 90s/early 2000s Chevy SUV/truck. Used to have a screen with temperature and a compass where the gauges are now.

Can't take all the credit for it - I saw a couple of other late 60s muscle cars with them and then wanted one for myself.

hotrodalex

Current to-do list:

- Shim the front fenders a bit so I can adjust the hood and make a bit more clearance for the windshield wipers
- Hook up the windshield washers and pump
- Headliner
- Fix the stereo rattle
- Install electric fans
- Rear sway bar, possibly upgrade the front too
- Posi-traction
- possibly some further chassis braces
- possibly a tow hitch so I can tow a motorcycle to and from college

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: hotrodalex on March 16, 2014, 04:27:11 PM
Current to-do list:

- Shim the front fenders a bit so I can adjust the hood and make a bit more clearance for the windshield wipers
- Hook up the windshield washers and pump
- Headliner
- Fix the stereo rattle
- Install electric fans
- Rear sway bar, possibly upgrade the front too
- Posi-traction
- possibly some further chassis braces
- possibly a tow hitch so I can tow a motorcycle to and from college

Can't fit a motorcycle in the bed?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

hotrodalex

I could, but I'd have to take off the bed cover.

hotrodalex

Looking like I'll order sway bars from Detroit Speed. Need to do some research and see if anything else should be upgraded at the same time. I know a stock type sway bar can put too much force on the lower control arms (which aren't fully boxed, dumb) but the Detroit Speed bars are a better design and don't mount to the control arms like the stock bar does.

I'd like to find a deal on an entire axle w/ posi, but I might just have to buy a separate posi unit and install it. More difficult, blah.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: hotrodalex on March 16, 2014, 05:10:00 PM
Looking like I'll order sway bars from Detroit Speed. Need to do some research and see if anything else should be upgraded at the same time. I know a stock type sway bar can put too much force on the lower control arms (which aren't fully boxed, dumb) but the Detroit Speed bars are a better design and don't mount to the control arms like the stock bar does.

I'd like to find a deal on an entire axle w/ posi, but I might just have to buy a separate posi unit and install it. More difficult, blah.

I installed a Powertrax Lock Right in my Sonoma. It was pretty easy, and dirt cheap. It clicks around corners and locks up pretty quickly when power is applied. Look it up.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

hotrodalex

hotrodalex

[Wimmer]

OMG LOOK A CAMRY@!!

[/Wimmer]

For the rest of you, I hope you're basking in the glorious beauty of The Way.

(I have determined that while The Road is a cool name, The Way is a more accurate translation. And this car is also the one and only Way in life. :rockon: )

Secret Chimp

Get that rear bar bruh. It'll make a huuuuge difference.

hotrodalex

Might get new rear trailing arms from Jegs.

http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS-Performance-Products/JEGS-Rear-Trailing-Arms-for-1964-1972-GM-A-Body/2384568/10002/-1

Looking like I'm going to do a complete rear end weekend of fun where I'll install a posi, new control arms, and a sway bar all at once.

hotrodalex

Soup DeVille

I'm going to go with no: a might too modern for your car.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator