El Camino project car

Started by hotrodalex, October 04, 2008, 12:49:56 PM

hotrodalex

15x7.5 with 235/60s all the way around.

You want 'em for the Corvette? Tires are pretty new.

hotrodalex

Summit says the expected ship date is 5/19. Booooooo. Gonna call tomorrow to order since I'm gonna try to price match Tire Rack's price on the tires. That way they can be mounted and balanced when they arrive and I won't need a tire shop.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: hotrodalex on April 21, 2014, 03:30:26 PM
15x7.5 with 235/60s all the way around.

You want 'em for the Corvette? Tires are pretty new.

Those tires won't fit.

hotrodalex

280Z Turbo

Yes. Also, they are Cooper Cobras.

hotrodalex

hotrodalex

Summit says 5/21 today, so I think they're getting the wheels from somewhere else.

Found wheels/tires on performanceplustire.com so I think I'll order from there and hopefully they'll get here faster.

hotrodalex

$1630 poorer.

Gonna put the current wheels on Craigslist. If anyone on here wants them you can have a $2 friends and family and carspin discount.

hotrodalex

With a big sway bar in the back and 18" wheels, I feel like this thread should be moved to the Fast Lane.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: hotrodalex on April 22, 2014, 06:43:57 PM
With a big block 454 sway bar in the back and 18" wheels, I feel like this thread should be moved to the Fast Lane.
;)
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-G8 on April 22, 2014, 08:44:06 PM
;)

Big blocks are just dead weight nowadays. You can make crazy amounts of power with a small block.

hotrodalex

Called about the order, looks like they get to do some warehouse searching for the right size/backspacings. Hopefully they'll find them by tonight. Gonna take a bit longer since it might have to go from a warehouse in Indianapolis back to California to be mounted and then shipped back east to my doorstep.

As long as they show up here sometime. :lol:

hotrodalex

On back order, will take 30-45 days.

I think they might have 18x9.5 with 5.75 backspacing. 265s all the way around? I'm thinking yes. Not 100% sure if it'll fit up front since I have drop spindles. But stock spindles are only like $115 from Summit if I have to go that route.

MexicoCityM3

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

hotrodalex

You can call it a Tini! (Truck mini)

Back to tires, I could put 335s on it!

Just need a lot of other work done first... :lol:

Soup DeVille

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

hotrodalex

Quote from: hotrodalex on April 26, 2014, 02:32:52 PM
I think they might have 18x9.5 with 5.75 backspacing. 265s all the way around? I'm thinking yes.

In stock.

Will be a little pricier, asked the guy for a discount - just to match the original order price, so like $60. Not sure if I'll actually get that, since he has to get the wheels shipped from an Atlanta warehouse. We'll see, was worth asking at least.

hotrodalex

Out with the old 7/8" front bar, in with the new 1 5/16" bar.

2 of the bolts off the car were crap so I bought new ones last night, but then I found out that one of the holes was also stripped so I had to tap them out to 3/8". Should have been an easy install, but of course it wasn't. Nothing is on this car. :lol:

hotrodalex

Slight understeer at the limit now, I think. I'll probably take the rear bar up a notch because why not.

Rides a bit stiffer but feels more comfortable and confidence inspiring.

68_427

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on April 22, 2014, 09:05:36 PM
Big blocks are just dead weight nowadays. You can make crazy amounts of power with a small block.

+1.  If I ever take over the vette and have some cash I'm swapping in a hot small block.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

hotrodalex

I'll be sticking with a small block. I kinda want to put a mild turbocharger on it eventually. That would nice since I go from 700 feet above sea level to 4700 feet for 8 months of the year.

In other news, my radio reception is finally acceptable. The headliner is pretty much in and the antenna is now stuck the windshield next to the A pillar so no more static.

hotrodalex

Those wheels aren't gonna happen. The ones that were supposed to be on the way to get mounted and balanced were the wrong bolt pattern. Just gonna cancel the order.

hotrodalex

After breaking a ball joint on the drag link and an inner tie rod and having to run to autozone a couple of times to get new ones, I finally got a new steering box in. Same type of box, from an '88 Monte Carlo SS, but this time it's rebuilt and not from a junkyard. Old one was leaking pretty badly, thus the replacement. Not sure if it's an improved box or just has less slop due to its newness, but it's a good improvement. Between this box and the one my dad put in his car, I wouldn't bother spending the extra $400 for the Delphi 600.

Gotta-Qik-C7

I had no idea the steering box from an '88 Monte Carlo was interchangable with your car.

hotrodalex

Yep, GM used the same box design for decades. Up until rack and pinion became the standard, I guess.

hotrodalex

Had crazy toe-in that I had to fix today, won't get an official alignment until Wednesday probably.

Also advanced the timing a bit and put larger metering rods in it to lean it out. Hopefully should see some MPG improvements with that. And hopefully it'll be a good tune for when I go out to Utah so I don't have to fiddle with it on the side of the highway.

Gotta-Qik-C7

LOL @ MPG improvements........