El Camino project car

Started by hotrodalex, October 04, 2008, 12:49:56 PM

hotrodalex

Hmm I thought I had heard something about them wearing out but quick googling shows that to be untrue.

hotrodalex

Looked at Gear Vendors to see what they had instead of trying to find a Saginaw 3 speed. Well for one, they only make tail housings for T-10s and Muncies (in the GM 4 speed category), and they cost $2900. LOL I'll just get a T-56 for that price.

280Z Turbo

I think they make bellhousings for an SBC to T5, don't they?

T5's ought to be common.

hotrodalex

I'll probably end up going that route. I don't really need the two extra gears of a T-56 and I think a T-5 will fit with less work. I was just reviewing my options to see if it was possible to keep the current transmission. I know most guys hate on Saginaws, but I've had no problems with it.

hotrodalex

I should get a Roadster Shop chassis. Anyone want to help fund it? :lol:

http://roadstershop.com/chassis/chevelle-chassis/

hotrodalex

Got the electric fans mounted today - way easier than I thought it would be. Two aluminum L-brackets bolted to existing holes on top of the radiator and then booted through the fans. Bottom is just secured with two zip ties (because redneck) to keep it from flopping around.

Hella airflow from these babies. It's a popular mod for Chevelles for good reason - easy fit and 4000 cfm for $100. No way you're overheating even stuck in traffic in 100 degree weather.

Just need to finish up the wiring. Also replacing the distributor wire since it's the original one meant for points.

hotrodalex

They work perfectly! Turn on at 185F and off at 165F. Pretty quiet, can't really hear them inside the car with the radio off. The engine sounds better at higher rpm now since before I didn't have a fan shroud and it was just all WOOOOOOSH from the engine bay.

With fans running, headlights on, and stereo going, voltage drops to around 12. Have a better alternator (with internal regulator!) to put in soon that will help out, plus can do some other various electrical upgrades.

FlatBlackCaddy

Nice install, pretty clean looking wiring work too.

:lol:

hotrodalex

Thanks. :thumbsup:

It's cleaned up now.

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

280Z Turbo

hotrodalex

Windstar or whatever 90s Ford minivan

hotrodalex

When I drive to work (5:30 am) the front driver's side wheel makes a squeak squeak squeak above 35 mph. But when I come home at 2:30 pm, nothing. It's tire speed related, not engine speed. Slamming on my brakes doesn't fix it, nor does putting slight pressure on the pedal while driving. Pads have plenty of life in them. Wheel bearing wiggle test shows no problem. Visual check of everything doesn't find anything out of place. My sway bar squeaks a little bit, but that's bump related not speed related. Any ideas? Might try to get a video of it tomorrow.

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

FoMoJo

Quote from: hotrodalex on June 30, 2014, 02:51:21 PM
When I drive to work (5:30 am) the front driver's side wheel makes a squeak squeak squeak above 35 mph. But when I come home at 2:30 pm, nothing. It's tire speed related, not engine speed. Slamming on my brakes doesn't fix it, nor does putting slight pressure on the pedal while driving. Pads have plenty of life in them. Wheel bearing wiggle test shows no problem. Visual check of everything doesn't find anything out of place. My sway bar squeaks a little bit, but that's bump related not speed related. Any ideas? Might try to get a video of it tomorrow.
The difference between 5:30 am and 2:30 pm is moisture.  It may be related.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

hotrodalex

Quote from: FoMoJo on June 30, 2014, 07:11:17 PM
The difference between 5:30 am and 2:30 pm is moisture.  It may be related.

And temperature. Haven't been able to think of what would be affected by those and make that noise, though.

Also, blew the relay for my fans tonight. Gonna need to wire it differently (thinking a 3 relay system to spread out the load)

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

FoMoJo

Quote from: hotrodalex on June 30, 2014, 07:29:02 PM
And temperature. Haven't been able to think of what would be affected by those and make that noise, though.

Also, blew the relay for my fans tonight. Gonna need to wire it differently (thinking a 3 relay system to spread out the load)
Rhythmic or irregular?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

hotrodalex

FoMoJo

Swap the front wheels.  See if it makes any difference.

hotrodalex

This morning was a scorching hot 75 degrees so no noise or video of said noise.

Got a quote from an exhaust shop - $550 for Flowmasters and an H pipe. Might drop it off tomorrow.

hotrodalex

Decided against the exhaust because I was going to upgrade the transmission to a TKO and a hydraulic clutch. But I don't think that's worth the money either - $2500-3000 and it would save me gas money, but would take like 4 years to break even.

So with that, I'm back to upgrading to a posi. I think my rearend is 3.36, not 3.08 like I previously thought. GPS speedometer tells me 70 mph at 3000 rpm with 26.2" tires. So I think that's a good ratio, would just need to install the posi. Can put in a larger cam to get more HP and acceleration down low instead of changing the gears. :lol:

hotrodalex

Found some aluminum heads for like $350. Might get them. Would just need a little port & polish. That + cam would be fantastic and would also bump up my compression into a better range for an x-pipe on the exhaust.

hotrodalex

Second gen Camaros have braces going from the fender to the radiator clip. Had a pair in the garage from my dad's car, so went ahead and drilled some holes and put them on mine. Because racecar. I think I notice a little bit of a difference - car crashes a bit less over bumps.

Secret Chimp

Quote from: hotrodalex on July 06, 2014, 08:29:55 AM
Found some aluminum heads for like $350.

:| GM junk is soooo cheap...

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: hotrodalex on July 07, 2014, 02:06:35 PM
Second gen Camaros have braces going from the fender to the radiator clip. Had a pair in the garage from my dad's car, so went ahead and drilled some holes and put them on mine. Because racecar. I think I notice a little bit of a difference - car crashes a bit less over bumps.

That thing is such a wet noodle that sadly those bars probably do make a difference. Hell a couple extra coats of paint probably would have stiffened it up even more.

hotrodalex

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on July 09, 2014, 02:20:02 PM
That thing is such a wet noodle that sadly those bars probably do make a difference. Hell a couple extra coats of paint probably would have stiffened it up even more.

I'm trying to find a cowl brace (going from the control arm mount to the cowl/firewall, with a cross brace), which would probably do 100x more. They make them for Camaros but I haven't had any luck finding one for an A-body.

Also want to put some braces in the rear.

hotrodalex

If you're thinking of replacing a front parking brake cable, DON'T. Huge PITA.

hotrodalex

It does work better now, at least. But now I have to touch up the paint on the front edge of the door since the install involved unbolting part of the fender and inner fender well, and the fender shifted and scraped the door. :facepalm:

Also swapped the speedometer cable gear since it was wrecked and speedo has read 0 since last week. New one has one less tooth, so it'll be slightly more accurate.

hotrodalex

Speedo cable needs more cleaning - wiggles a lot. Reads 60 mph @ 70, so need to order a gear with a few less teeth. Don't really care about the speedo, but having an accurate odometer would be nice to track gas mileage.