El Camino project car

Started by hotrodalex, October 04, 2008, 12:49:56 PM

hotrodalex

Found a pair of ceramic coated headers for like $150, but they're medium length instead of long tube. Says that they might get in the way of the clutch linkage. Hmmm.

Hydraulic clutch kits can be had for $580 (maybe cheaper, that's just one of the first ones I've found).

Nothing is ever simple. :lol:

280Z Turbo

What is the advantage of a Hydraulic clutch?

hotrodalex

Well it would get rid of the mechanical linkage. Might also be a bit smoother, dunno.

I think I'm just gonna skip the headers and keep the rusty ones. Less money, don't have to go through the annoyance and installing headers again.

280Z Turbo

You don't know why you want to spend $580? Send some of that money my way, I'll use it for disc brakes on the Corvette.

hotrodalex

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on July 21, 2014, 09:51:28 AM
You don't know why you want to spend $580?

Because racecar.

I'm not gonna buy it. Just had to make the decision now, since I might do my clutch by the end of August. Right now I'm planning my next ~10 upgrades to figure out which order they need to be done in.

280Z Turbo

Racecar eh? What class? Where's your suit? Where's your cage? :evildude:

hotrodalex

The streets ain't got no class, bruh.

Secret Chimp

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on July 21, 2014, 09:51:28 AM
You don't know why you want to spend $580? Send some of that money my way, I'll use it for disc brakes on the Corvette.

Wait why are you now throwing money at this thing when the frame is rusted out?

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

hotrodalex

Well technically that'd be throwing someone else's money at it, which is never a bad idea.

hotrodalex

I've cleaned and greased the speedometer cable three times now and it still wiggles. Thinking maybe the gear in the transmission is wrecked. Ugh.

280Z Turbo

That's not that hard to pull out. Replacements are cheap too.

The tachometer on the Corvette is a bouncy SOB, but I think that's due to the sharp angle of the cable. They sell a right angle adapter for tachometer and speedometer cables to reduce the angularity.

hotrodalex

I mean the one in the tailshaft, not the plastic one. I wish it was that one.

280Z Turbo

Uh, in the battle between hardened steel and plastic, I think hardened steel wins. :lol:

Is it even possible to screw up those teeth?

hotrodalex

The plastic one was chewed up when I replaced it the other day. But what would cause that? Original thought was the cable was getting caught up and thus greasing it would solve the problem (along with a new gear), but obviously not. Not surprising, since the cable was never an issue before and the speedo just quit working altogether while driving to Columbus last week, not bouncing or wiggling noticed. So my best guess now would be something inside the transmission is goofed up.

280Z Turbo

What about the speedo itself?

hotrodalex

280Z Turbo

Try a new cable first. Pulling the trans would not be easy and I just don't see how those teeth on the shaft could be chewed up.

hotrodalex

Got rid of the eye-shadow on one side. Should I do the rest?

hotrodalex

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pof-101-10017/overview/year/1969/make/chevrolet/model/chevelle

Gonna order these. Should increase spindle height 0.9" and change the camber curve to give me negative camber as suspension is compressed. Obvious cornering benefits to that, plus might help the rubbing issue over bumps.

280Z Turbo

They're not available for the Vette. Dang.

Your tailshaft may have a plastic gear on it.

If so, consider yourself fucked. :thumbsup:

hotrodalex

Yep I'm pretty sure it's plastic in the tail shaft as well. Yay engineering.

280Z Turbo

Yay Borg Warner! Ours is metal. :ohyeah:

hotrodalex

Relay panel for electric fans and headlights.

Put in the new alternator with internal regulator today. It's mostly in, just a few more wiring things to do.

hotrodalex

All in, car starts. :rockon:

Headlights are brighter woohoo. Have more voltage woohoo. Have less hot wires woohoo.

hotrodalex

The back end is uneven, with the passenger side lower than the driver's. Figured it was the frame, but measured the shock lengths today and the passenger side was 1" shorter. Switched the springs and it didn't seem to help. Ideas???

That side came out a bit heavier, but not enough for a 1" difference.

FoMoJo

Quote from: hotrodalex on July 29, 2014, 06:21:18 PM
The back end is uneven, with the passenger side lower than the driver's. Figured it was the frame, but measured the shock lengths today and the passenger side was 1" shorter. Switched the springs and it didn't seem to help. Ideas???

Is this something new or you just noticed it?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

hotrodalex

I've known about it for years, but like I said I figured it was a twisted frame and wasn't gonna worry about it (already took it to the frame shop and got it fixes as good as possible). So this is actually fantastic news since suspension is an easy fix.

MrH

Quote from: hotrodalex on July 29, 2014, 06:21:18 PM

You took the shocks off, and the extended length were an inch off? Are these twin tubes or monotubes?

Either way, one inch difference in extended length shouldn't affect your ride height.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

hotrodalex

No the compressed length is an inch different. Extended is the same.

Unloaded spring height seemed a bit different, with the passenger side being slightly higher, but obviously wasn't a problem since I swapped them and didn't see a difference.

I also unbolted the sway bar just in case is was preloaded and pulling the one side down, but that also didn't seem to do anything.

Would a bent trailing arm affect it?

MrH

How did you measure compressed length on the shocks?
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV