El Camino project car

Started by hotrodalex, October 04, 2008, 12:49:56 PM

hotrodalex

Drove an hour each way and got another Saginaw for $150. Will steal the side cover and put it on mine, then find another side cover and sell this one eventually.

hotrodalex

It's all put back together. Pressure plate is a lot lighter than before, blahh. Having some minor issues with the throwout bearing and clutch fork adjustment. It makes noise like it's barely touching the pressure plate when the pedal is resting. A little bit of pressure makes it go away. Tried adjusting the z-bar to move the engagement point further down the pedal travel, but that didn't seem to work. Also figured out where the return spring is supposed to go (haven't had one on in years - didn't really need it with the heavy pressure plate), which helped pedal rattle but didn't completely solve the TB ticking.

hotrodalex

No more chrome air cleaner.

Soup DeVille

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

hotrodalex

Electric choke is on.

Alignment specs are gonna be a bit worse than before - can't get as much caster with these ball joints. :cry: -0.5* camber and 2* caster compared to the previous alignment of  -1.5* camber and 4* caster. Oh well, better camber curve should be worth it.

edit: Final specs says 4.5* caster... Dude must have figured out a way to get that after I went back to the waiting room.

280Z Turbo

hotrodalex

What, it's just literally every part above the heads. :lol:

Dad is friends with the VP of sales and marketing, so yeah lots of parts from them.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: hotrodalex on August 19, 2014, 08:38:29 PM
What, it's just literally every part above the heads. :lol:

Dad is friends with the VP of sales and marketing, so yeah lots of parts from them.

Does this mean you have the capability of obtaining discounts?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

hotrodalex

Soup DeVille

Quote from: hotrodalex on August 19, 2014, 08:55:33 PM
Only on Tuesdays.

Dammit, and I'm only allowed to spend money on the car on Thursdays!

Secret Chimp

You considered changing to an RPM intake?

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

hotrodalex

Not really. Next summer will probably be engine upgrade time - cam, maybe aluminum heads, maybe ceramic coated headers. Unless the current performer intake needs to be upgraded to work with those upgrades, I probably won't bother.

hotrodalex

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/edl-60759

Oooh pretty.

Edit: I actually want the 64cc ones, though. Get dat high compression.

hotrodalex

Utah speed bumps are header killers.

This can mean only one thing - car needs to be lower. :evildude:

280Z Turbo

Quote from: hotrodalex on August 25, 2014, 01:18:02 PM
http://m.summitracing.com/parts/edl-60759

Oooh pretty.

Edit: I actually want the 64cc ones, though. Get dat high compression.

At what point do you need race gas?

hotrodalex

That'd probably put me at 10.5:1

280Z Turbo

Quote from: hotrodalex on August 30, 2014, 09:26:42 PM
That'd probably put me at 10.5:1

I think that's where the Vette motor is supposed to be, but I doubt it is now.

There's no reason not to run 91-93 octane in the corvette, but I don't want detonation. I've read that up to 11:1 is OK.

Secret Chimp

You can't go by comp ratio alone with older engines. Combustion chamber design and the quality of your air/fuel mix and ignition factors in more as you go higher.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

hotrodalex

New speedometer cable is in, and it's spot-on accurate!

Also got a car cover - I park in an underground garage so it doesn't get wet, but it gets crazy dusty. And with satin black paint, I'd have to wash it every other day.

Also bought a baseball bat and tried to roll the fenders. Not sure if it's enough, I'll find out next time I drive it.

hotrodalex

Fender rolling seems to have been effective.

Should I replace the high beams with amber low beams?

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/wag-4412a

I can get hi-low beams to replace the low beams, but then I started wondering if I really need the high beams. I don't really use them. And it would save me work if I just replace the one set.

Rupert

OK, well, first off, you do need your high beams. Second, you should replace the sealed beams with real headlamps. Hella makes a decent kit. Third, you never ever want amber on either the highs or the lows. The color you would want for probably the lows only is selective yellow. If you do that, it would be for style, and to retain the full functionality of the headlamps, you would probably want to increase the wattage of the bulb a bit to compensate for the filtering via the colored lamps, say 75 W lows. Yellow lamps, unless you're French, are really only good for fog lamps, and I'm not convinced of that, either.

Personally, I love the yellow lamp look, so I say go for it, but only if you can do it right.

Oh, also, those lamps you linked are only 35 W. Lows should be 55 W, highs 60 W, at minimum (though you should only go higher if you have good, low-mounted, sharp-cutoff lamps).
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

hotrodalex

Yeah I wouldn't have only amber as low beams.

I'll have to look around for wiring kits. Don't want to take stuff apart too much since I'm not at home.

Rupert

Come to Boise and I'll help. Lighting is fun!
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

hotrodalex

Quote from: Rupert on September 26, 2014, 08:25:07 PM
OK, well, first off, you do need your high beams.

You probably think I need sunvisors too. :lol:

Rupert

hotrodalex

Cool pics of the car can be seen in the photography forum:

http://www.carspin.net/index.php?topic=30990.0

Will photoshop a few of those to see if yellow fogs would look good.

hotrodalex

Original:

Photoshopped:

Me gusta.

Soup DeVille

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

280Z Turbo