El Camino project car

Started by hotrodalex, October 04, 2008, 12:49:56 PM

280Z Turbo

It was the Mazda. Does it still have the 9000 rpm pill?

Secret Chimp

Sho nuff I bang off that thing every day

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

hotrodalex

WOOOOOOOOO AWH HELL YEAHHH WOOOOOOO!!!!!!

New cap, rotor, and coil = starts up right away. Finally. 5 days of madness have come to an end.

Secret Chimp

I just went and gave my Blaster II a smooch.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

hotrodalex

I'm at autozone getting a new alternator, I think that was the cause of all this and it blew my ignition coil.

68_427

You stop soaking with any babes lately?  Maybe some clever sabotage
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

hotrodalex

Quote from: 68_427 on October 29, 2014, 08:22:11 PM
You stop soaking with any babes lately?  Maybe some clever sabotage

I think there are maybe 10 people in this city who could even figure out how to pop the hood.

Eye of the Tiger

I bet next time you'll check your secondary ignition voltage.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

FoMoJo

Quote from: hotrodalex on October 29, 2014, 08:20:22 PM
I'm at autozone getting a new alternator, I think that was the cause of all this and it blew my ignition coil.
You sure it was the coil?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

hotrodalex

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 02, 2014, 07:25:48 AM
You sure it was the coil?

Cap and rotor didn't really look corroded enough to be the main source of the problem. Replace them anyway, but I'm pretty sure it was a roasted coil.

FoMoJo

Quote from: hotrodalex on November 02, 2014, 09:52:50 AM
Cap and rotor didn't really look corroded enough to be the main source of the problem. Replace them anyway, but I'm pretty sure it was a roasted coil.
Not to belabour it, but it may well have been as simple as a hairline crack in the distributor cap where the coil wire plugs in...or on the coil itself where the distributor wire plugs in...whereby moisture, from dew or simply being very humid, can seep in and ground out the charge.  I've had this happen in the past on cars of that era...but never had a coil get roasted. 
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

hotrodalex

The alternator went bad the trip immediately before it wouldn't start so I'm assuming the problems were related

FoMoJo

Quote from: hotrodalex on November 02, 2014, 12:50:33 PM
The alternator went bad the trip immediately before it wouldn't start so I'm assuming the problems were related
Reasonable assumption.  I'd still want to know for sure.

hotrodalex

My speedometer cable seems to be spinning inside the gauge and not hooking up fully. It only reads about half speed and I can hear it spinning in the gauge. Goes away after I've driven about 5 miles and the gauge reads normally without any issue.

Do I just need a new gauge?

FoMoJo

Quote from: hotrodalex on November 06, 2014, 03:40:24 PM
My speedometer cable seems to be spinning inside the gauge and not hooking up fully. It only reads about half speed and I can hear it spinning in the gauge. Goes away after I've driven about 5 miles and the gauge reads normally without any issue.

Do I just need a new gauge?
Original gauge?

hotrodalex

Eye of the Tiger

Take it apart and fix it. It's a simple mechanism.

hotrodalex

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 06, 2014, 06:38:54 PM
Take it apart and fix it. It's a simple mechanism.

Wasn't sure if that was possible. Never messed with one before.

Eye of the Tiger

Rupert

When that happened on the Porsche, the whole stupid gauge cluster had to be replaced.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

hotrodalex

Unfortunately I don't think I can take the cluster out without taking the dash off. So first I'll try some WD-40 and/or little bit of tape on the end of the cable.

hotrodalex

Quote from: Rupert on November 06, 2014, 08:03:12 PM
When that happened on the Porsche, the whole stupid gauge cluster had to be replaced.

Excuse for cool gauges!

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

hotrodalex

Autometer American Muscle or Prestige Black Diamond might be cool. But $$$. In reality I'll just buy a stock replacement if needed.

Eye of the Tiger

Auto Zone has all the gauges you'll ever need. Speedometers are irrelevant since GPS.

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Eye of the Tiger

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 68_427 on November 07, 2014, 04:35:12 PM

In five years, when the guy tries to sell that car, he's gonna have some 'splainin' to do.

Until then, that's both awesome/hilarious and sad/creepy.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

hotrodalex

Current goals:

- rear disc brake swap
- upgrade pads
- camshaft
- new heads, unsure if I want to go aluminum or just higher compression iron
- ceramic coat the headers
- new header-back exhaust
- posi/LSD
- maybe stiffer front springs
- adjustable shocks front/rear