El Camino project car

Started by hotrodalex, October 04, 2008, 12:49:56 PM

hotrodalex

Aluminum cylinder comparison time!

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/ccrp-1209-eight-budget-sbc-head-shootout/

Was looking at the Speedway Flo-Teks since they are an awesome price and a good improvement over stock in both HP and weight. The Patriot/Promaxx heads are also an option. $100 more, but +40 HP and +10 torque over the Flo-Teks. That's up at 6k rpm, though, which I don't think I've ever seen. Usually shift at 5k if I'm really getting on it, normal driving is 3-3.5k. It's only a 5 HP difference in daily driving, 20 HP at 5k rpm.

hotrodalex

So for the past week or two, I've been chasing a super annoying squeak on the driver's side front suspension. It's been around since I put the coil-overs in, so I figured it had to be something that got touched during that install. First guess was the sway bar end link, so I tightened that up. Then I greased the lower control arm bushings and ball joint. Greased the sway bar at the frame mount. Sprayed the lower shock mount with silicone. No bueno. Today I finally figured out it was the top stud on the shock, which I absolutely did not expect. Few turns on the nut and it's all fixed. Finally, because the squeak was giving me nightmares.

Secret Chimp

Something goes "tunk" like a wooden dowel hitting concrete when I turn my wheel enough sometimes. I think it's the idler arm. I have another one, it's just stayed exactly the same for so long I haven't bothered changing it out yet.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

hotrodalex

Yellow headlight appreciation thread

hotrodalex

Took it out for a night time canyon carving session. I'm incredibly happy with the handling on this thing now. Feels right at home on twisty roads.

Eye of the Tiger

What does the canyon look like now?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

hotrodalex

One (or maybe both) of my turn signal blinker switch thingies died today. I was surprised by how annoying it was to drive to the store without turn signals. Don't know how people do that all the time...

giant_mtb

Quote from: hotrodalex on April 08, 2015, 08:26:16 PM
One (or maybe both) of my turn signal blinker switch thingies died today. I was surprised by how annoying it was to drive to the store without turn signals. Don't know how people do that all the time...

People don't give a fuck about letting other people in giant, heavy, moving objects know what they're doing in their own giant, heavy, moving object. 

hotrodalex

I think I get my muscle car dirtier than some guys get their Jeep/Brodozer.

It got twice as dirty on the way down.

280Z Turbo

Your headlights have yellowed. They must leak. You better fix that.

hotrodalex

I moved my tach. Dunno why I thought it wouldn't fit there. Maybe I was unwilling to put it on the tilt part, but ehh not a problem. Although it blocks the turn signal indicators now.

Still need to do something about the speedometer... Or nah.

CaminoRacer

Updates:

- aluminum heads and a new cam were installed, much power

- rear disc brakes installed, along with drilled/slotted rotors all around

- new MSD ignition box installed

- new, nicer looking electric fans installed

- new tach because the other one died

I won an AutoX event back in July, so I've been a "pro" since then. Also started doing SCCA races, with the new CAM-T class. Car needs an LSD still. Could also use some 200 tread wear tires, but I'm undecided if I want to spend that much money and find a place to store them. Also deciding if I should install a VintageAir A/C unit.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

GoCougs

What heads and cam did you go with?

CaminoRacer

Flotek heads, Edelbrock street cam (hydraulic flat tappet), 1.5 roller rockers. The cam isn't as big as I'd like. Not rumbly enough.

Oh, I got new header-back exhaust too. Ordered new mid-length ceramic coated headers but they didn't fit. :rage: So I just kept the old ones and installed an H-pipe and Flowmasters.

GoCougs

Sweet. I'd totally go with the Rollin' Thunder roller cam and probably one of the smaller ones. Used to have to do stuff to use roller cams in older blocks but that may not be the case anymore.

FlatBlackCaddy

Would have been nice to see more pictures of these modifications.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: GoCougs on November 14, 2015, 09:57:50 AM
Sweet. I'd totally go with the Rollin' Thunder roller cam and probably one of the smaller ones. Used to have to do stuff to use roller cams in older blocks but that may not be the case anymore.

Yeah, it would have taken a bit more work to use a roller. I might have gone that direction, but the new cam had been sitting in the garage for a couple of years and was looking for a home.

All in, I think I've gone from 260 hp to 325-330. Not bad.

FoMoJo

Quote from: CaminoRacer on November 14, 2015, 10:37:09 AM
Yeah, it would have taken a bit more work to use a roller. I might have gone that direction, but the new cam had been sitting in the garage for a couple of years and was looking for a home.

All in, I think I've gone from 260 hp to 325-330. Not bad.

Careful you don't blow the bottom end out.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

GoCougs

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 14, 2015, 10:53:47 AM
Careful you don't blow the bottom end out.

Nah, it's all good. He bought a GM crate motor IIRC, and they're all 4-bolt mains, which were factory rated up to 370 hp in the LT-1 in the 1970 Corvette.

RomanChariot

Good to see you back. I saw your car at the light a 900 W and Center a while back. It looked really nice. That is a nice bump in power.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: GoCougs on November 15, 2015, 01:20:26 AM
Nah, it's all good. He bought a GM crate motor IIRC, and they're all 4-bolt mains, which were factory rated up to 370 hp in the LT-1 in the 1970 Corvette.

Any further HP bumps would include bottom end upgrades anyway. I could get a bit more power with an air-gap intake and bigger cam, but higher compression pistons and a 400 crank would be the next step for noticeable gains.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: RomanChariot on November 16, 2015, 09:10:11 AM
Good to see you back. I saw your car at the light a 900 W and Center a while back. It looked really nice. That is a nice bump in power.

Thanks!

It's been getting more attention lately. I drove around the Nebo Loop a couple of weeks ago and snapped a quick picture, which ended up being reposted 3-4 times on Instagram, once by one of the major car accounts. Kinda cool to see how many likes a crappy old El Camino can get.

Here's some action pictures from the SCCA Cam Challenge East, back in August. I ran right before Al Unser Jr. most of the time, so there was some pressure to not screw up and get in his way. Didn't stop me from spinning out and doing a smoky donut. :lol:

Here's some shots of my dad's car and Al's.

MX793

Still trying to figure out why somebody would take a timeless classic El Camino and ruin it by making it awesome.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Cookie Monster

Quote from: MX793 on November 16, 2015, 12:50:08 PM
Still trying to figure out why somebody would take a timeless classic El Camino and ruin it by making it awesome.

:lol:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

CaminoRacer

GoCougs

Quote from: CaminoRacer on November 16, 2015, 09:38:03 AM
Any further HP bumps would include bottom end upgrades anyway. I could get a bit more power with an air-gap intake and bigger cam, but higher compression pistons and a 400 crank would be the next step for noticeable gains.

IMO that's not far away from the pinnacle of the streetable classic small block Chevy - 383 cubes, AL heads, moderate roller cam, moderate CR, and throttle body FI. You'd have one potent motor.

CaminoRacer

Over the weekend I sealed up the kick panel vents. The stock panels were able to close and keep air out much better than my current ones, which let cold air in at a rate that the heater could barely keep up with. So I just sealed up the hole and will just have to live without the vents in the summer.