Jaguar Reveals Details of Daimler Super Eight Debu

Started by BMWDave, July 28, 2005, 08:08:38 PM

BMWDave

Jaguar Reveals Details of Daimler Super Eight Debut
Date Posted 07-28-2005

HALEWOOD, England ? Daimler, one of the oldest brands in the automobile world, returns this September when the new Super Eight will officially be introduced at the Frankfurt Motor Show (see Inside Line).

You can say it is just an exercise in badge engineering, but in fact the new Daimler Super Eight is more than a warmed-over Jaguar XJ. It is based on the long-wheelbase version of the XJ. At just over 201 inches in length it is still behind even the smaller of Maybach's two sedans, the 57, but in terms of luxury and prestige it may be notches above its German competitor, which also carries a name reminiscent of the rarified air.

The Super Eight sports a super 39 inches of legroom in the back. It is powered by a 400-horsepower, 4.2-liter supercharged V8 engine that will propel the aluminum-bodied sedan to 60 mph within 5.3 seconds.

The list of equipment is long and sumptuous, like the car itself: Chrome-accented wing mirrors, 18-inch alloy wheels, three opulent leather interior choices, lamb's-wool rugs, fold-down business trays, display screens in the Daimler-branded front headrests, and on and on.

At $140,000, Jaguar's prime target is the well-heeled conservatives of the U.K., but it will also be offered in Asia and North America.

What this means to you: As we evolve into the new universe of envelope-pushing wonders of technology and engineering, it's comforting to know the "manner-born" elders can still turn heads.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

TBR

"You can say it is just an exercise in badge engineering, but in fact the new Daimler Super Eight is more than a warmed-over Jaguar XJ"

How exactly is that? They didn't list a single thing that makes it different from the regular Super V8 except for the badge.  

ifcar

They had to present some visual reason to choose this car over its clone at half the price. They didn't come close.

TBR

Yep, lately Ford has been making a lot of good decisions, but they dropped the ball on this one.

ifcar

Is Ford bringing out the brand themselves, or did this brand ask permission to use the XJ in its lineup?

TBR

I assume that Ford got the brand when they bought Jaguar.

ifcar

I suppose. Maybe they did some suspension and/or engine tuning, and improved the interior. It doesn't seem like the sort of effort one would expect from deep-pocket Ford.  

Submariner

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

BMWDave

QuoteI'll take a Super V8 portfolio please.
Same here!  Damn, that thing is hot! B)  

2007 Honda S2000

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TBR

QuoteWhy would I buy that over an XJR again?
The Super V8 has the same wheelbase as the XJ8l, meaning it actually has a competitive amount of rear seat space.

Colonel Cadillac

Maybe the prime minister wanted something a bit more expensive to ride around in.  

BMWDave

QuoteMaybe the prime minister wanted something a bit more expensive to ride around in.
He's got Rolls Royce for that ;)

2007 Honda S2000

Tom

It fits 2-3 more girls in the back, that's why :praise:  

Colonel Cadillac

QuoteMaybe the prime minister wanted something a bit more expensive to ride around in.
He's got Rolls Royce for that ;)
Damn, good point.

On that note, this car serves no purpose but to pull down the value of the Jaguar XJ

Raza

The Super V8 has the same wheelbase as the XJ8l, meaning it actually has a competitive amount of rear seat space.
I meant the Daimler, but even then, I don't need a backseat.  I don't sit back there, and I couldn't care less how comfortable my passengers are.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TBR

I meant the Daimler, but even then, I don't need a backseat.  I don't sit back there, and I couldn't care less how comfortable my passengers are.
You aren't look at a large luxury sedan now are you?  :rolleyes:  

ifcar

QuoteOn that note, this car serves no purpose but to pull down the value of the Jaguar XJ
Why would it decrease the XJ's value?

Raza

I am always looking at a large luxury sedan when it drives like a small, sporty one.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

I am always looking at a large luxury sedan when it drives like a small, sporty one.
No you aren't, do you have $140000 to spend on a car and if so would you spend it on a large luxury sedan? I think not.  

Raza

No you aren't, do you have $140000 to spend on a car and if so would you spend it on a large luxury sedan? I think not.
I was talking about the XJR, actually, and as I already said, why would I (a general I, a luxury car buyer) buy the Daimler over a comparable XJ model?  Or hell, a Quattroporte, if you're a driver?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

I was talking about the XJR, actually, and as I already said, why would I (a general I, a luxury car buyer) buy the Daimler over a comparable XJ model?  Or hell, a Quattroporte, if you're a driver?
I agree with that there is no reason to buy a Daimler Super Eight over the Super V8, but the fact remains that you're feelings on rear seat room are completely out of context, you can't afford a big luxury sedan and even if you could I doubt you would buy one at this point.

Raza

I agree with that there is no reason to buy a Daimler Super Eight over the Super V8, but the fact remains that you're feelings on rear seat room are completely out of context, you can't afford a big luxury sedan and even if you could I doubt you would buy one at this point.
I don't know--if the 2004 Jag XJR loses value like the last generation did, then it's a possibility (if only it had a manual).  

But my feelings on legroom in the rear are relevant.  Who drives with four people in their car at all times?  My father and mother both have S classes with immense legroom at the rear, and 99% of the time drive alone.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

Than say that, but don't say that you don't need the legroom because you aren't a potential customer. And, apparantly some people need the space otherwise a long wheelbase version wouldn't have been created.

ifcar

What people need and what they are willing to pay for are often two very different things. ;)

Raza

QuoteWhat people need and what they are willing to pay for are often two very different things. ;)
If what people needed was the only thing dictated purchases, cars like this wouldn't exist, we'd all have a small city car for our daily commute, and I'd be dating Keira Knightley.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i