Misfortune strikes again (parents need a new car) ... NEW CAR'S HERE!

Started by Vinsanity, October 08, 2008, 10:34:29 PM

Vinsanity

So last week, my parents got into what I'd call a moderate accident. Long story short; a Mazda MPV ran a red light across a 6-lane intersection, a late-model Corolla broad-sides it, and spins right into the front corner of my dad's Mitsubishi.

Here are some pics my mom took with her camera phone.

Mazda MPV toppled onto its side

The two cars affected by the red light bandit.

Thankfully, my parents are ok, since the impact wasn't that hard (not hard enough to deploy the airbags). But surprisingly it still caused enough damage to total the car. Apparently, Mitsubishi Diamante parts are in short supply. Maybe platform sharing isn't all bad. Anyways, at least they're fine, and they get a cool little Mazda 3 rental to zip around in. Nonetheless, they want to stick with the plus-size midsizer segment. Here are the ones in the top running:

$14,000 / 15k miles

$16,000 / 22k miles

$14,300 / 56k miles

Obvious choice would be an Avalon, but the deals aren't quite as compelling. Any other suggestions?

TBR

Please tell me that isn't the specific Sonata they're looking at.

Laconian

Why, what's wrong with it? Is the price too high?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

the Teuton

I object to the Kia on principle because it has no resale value.  Don't let them unless they are Buick people.

I like that Volvo, but I hear parts are expensive.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Vinsanity

Quote from: TBR on October 08, 2008, 10:45:35 PM
Please tell me that isn't the specific Sonata they're looking at.

LOL maybe they can ask the dealer to swap out the stunna rimz for regular wheels. Might even be cheaper that way. If not, then my parents won't care either way, anyways. They had 3 wheel covers missing from the Mitsu, for God's sake.

btw, it's an Azera.

TBR

Quote from: Vinsanity on October 08, 2008, 10:54:58 PM
LOL maybe they can ask the dealer to swap out the stunna rimz for regular wheels. Might even be cheaper that way. If not, then my parents won't care either way, anyways. They had 3 wheel covers missing from the Mitsu, for God's sake.

btw, it's an Azera.

I couldn't stand to look at it long enough to actually identify what car it was.

Vinsanity

Quote from: the Teuton on October 08, 2008, 10:48:07 PM
I object to the Kia on principle because it has no resale value.  Don't let them unless they are Buick people.

I like that Volvo, but I hear parts are expensive.

Buick...interesting idea.

$14,000 / 28k miles

I don't know why, but my dad's more interested in the Hyundai and Kia. Which is weird, because by definition, their preference would make them Buick people :huh:

the Teuton

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

ifcar

Quote from: the Teuton on October 08, 2008, 10:48:07 PM
I object to the Kia on principle because it has no resale value. 

When you're buying used, low resale value is a positive, not a negative.

The Amanti and Azera are strong comfort-focused large sedans at good prices; they might also want to look at the Ford Five Hundred / 2008 Taurus.

2o6

On Styling, I'd take the Azera. The S80 you can find as a Ford Five Hundred/Mercury Montego (which should also be in the running)

The Lucerne and The Amanti are good cars. Would an Oldsmobile Aurora be too old?

the Teuton

Quote from: ifcar on October 09, 2008, 05:50:14 AM
When you're buying used, low resale value is a positive, not a negative.

Not when you're paying $15,000 for the car.

2o6

Quote from: the Teuton on October 09, 2008, 08:01:45 AM
Not when you're paying $15,000 for the car.

$15K isn't a lot. Unless you're buying and selling your car every year, then who cares about resale value.

the Teuton

the Teuton

Quote from: 2o6 on October 09, 2008, 08:13:42 AM

On an unrelated note......my parents are looking for another Car to replace their Grand Voyager......I'll tell them to keep the Amanti in their mind.

It's not a bad choice after all of the value has been sucked out of it, but buying one that is a year or two old is a disaster.

SVT666

Azera.  Volvos are expensive to repair once the warranty is done.

2o6

Quote from: R-inge on October 09, 2008, 08:58:32 AM
Volvo S80.

/thread

The Five Hundred is on the same platform and is generally easier/cheaper to fix.

Is a Deville or DTS too floaty? Maybe an Older FWD STS/Seville?

S204STi

Then why is it on your fucking list?  Don't you research that shit before looking for a car?

Get the Sonata then, it's got decent quality and looks.  The Kia looks like a POS.

2o6

Quote from: R-inge on October 09, 2008, 10:04:19 AM
Then why is it on your fucking list?  Don't you research that shit before looking for a car?

Get the Sonata then, it's got decent quality and looks.  The Kia looks like a POS.

That's an AZERA. Besides, Vinsanity still has the Kia Amanti on it's list. People rather like the Amanti.....it's just a bit of a copy cat as far as styling is concerned. If you were looking for a car to keep for awhile (I.E not concerned with resale value) the Amanti would be a good choice.

Vinsanity

Quote from: R-inge on October 09, 2008, 10:04:19 AM

I didn't mention anything regarding the Ford vs. Volvo. My parents are indifferent to the Taurus/500 but I have yet to tell them its engineering is sourced from the S80. Maybe that would open them up to it.

Vinsanity

Quote from: 2o6 on October 09, 2008, 07:56:49 AM
Would an Oldsmobile Aurora be too old?

Yes. At that age, they'd be looking at a Lexus ES.

Quote from: 2o6 on October 09, 2008, 09:58:51 AM
Is a Deville or DTS too floaty? Maybe an Older FWD STS/Seville?

Maybe. I'll give that a shot too.

S204STi

Quote from: 2o6 on October 09, 2008, 10:09:39 AM
That's an AZERA. Besides, Vinsanity still has the Kia Amanti on it's list. People rather like the Amanti.....it's just a bit of a copy cat as far as styling is concerned. If you were looking for a car to keep for awhile (I.E not concerned with resale value) the Amanti would be a good choice.

I see a Kia Amanti, a Sonata, and a S80 in the OP, not an Azera.  Not sure why you're bringing it up.

Vinsanity

Quote from: R-inge on October 09, 2008, 11:10:58 AM
I see a Kia Amanti, a Sonata, and a S80 in the OP, not an Azera.  Not sure why you're bringing it up.

The blue stunna ride is an Azera.
(hint: the pics link to autotrader listings)

Cookie Monster

I rode in an Amanti once. It was super quiet. I thought it was eerie but if that's what your parents are looking for then it'd be a good car for them.

The quality inside looked good too, but the dashboard was pretty fugly.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

2o6

Quote from: R-inge on October 09, 2008, 11:10:58 AM

IT'S AN AZERA. 

S204STi

Quote from: 2o6 on October 09, 2008, 01:52:17 PM
IT'S AN AZERA. 

Well, I confused you with the OP, and I just realized my mistake about the Sonata, my bad.

68_427

Maybe a Subaru Outback?  I also like the idea of Montego/500, or maybe even a Lincoln LS.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no