Ford to possibly sell stake of Mazda

Started by Onslaught, October 12, 2008, 07:54:53 AM

2o6

That makes no sense. Ford and Mazda are practically joined at the hip.

giant_mtb

Why would they sell off such a good, successful brand from which they can make money?

TBR

To raise capital to improve Ford products and marketing in order to make Ford profitable.

the Teuton

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Onslaught

Part of me wants Mazda to be done with Ford. I make it no secret that I'm not a Ford fan and that I've never liked the Ford/Mazda cars that come from their partnership.  But part of me is a little afraid of who would buy them and what could happen if they split up. I know what to expect from a Ford/Mazda relationship.

I just can't see Ford doing this unless they are way more fucked up then I thought.

the Teuton

Quote from: Onslaught on October 12, 2008, 11:20:09 AM
Part of me wants Mazda to be done with Ford. I make it no secret that I'm not a Ford fan and that I've never liked the Ford/Mazda cars that come from their partnership.  But part of me is a little afraid of who would buy them and what could happen if they split up. I know what to expect from a Ford/Mazda relationship.

I just can't see Ford doing this unless they are way more fucked up then I thought.

They've been together for 30 years.  Their split might weaken both companies as a whole.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

TBR

Quote from: the Teuton on October 12, 2008, 11:23:20 AM
They've been together for 30 years.  Their split might weaken both companies as a whole.

While Ford might have had a stake in Mazda for that long and they worked on the occasional project together, Ford didn't own a majority stake until the late '90s.

Onslaught

Quote from: the Teuton on October 12, 2008, 11:23:20 AM
That's my fear.

MX793

Quote from: Onslaught on October 12, 2008, 11:20:09 AM
...and that I've never liked the Ford/Mazda cars that come from their partnership. 

You don't like any of the C1 cars?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Onslaught

Quote from: MX793 on October 12, 2008, 11:33:43 AM
You don't like any of the C1 cars?
I should have said cars that are just Fords with a Mazda badge on them. Tribute and the B tucks would be an example. I'm very accustomed to working on Japanese cars. I understand how they think and how they make their cars. But the Mazda cars that are just Fords or half one and half the other are the ones I don't like working on much. I find that I'm not the only one like that. The Mazda mechanics I now who worked on Mazda's back in the 80's aren't as much of a fan of working the current motors and other shared parts.

I should point out that I don't hate Ford like I did back in the 80's and 90's. I don't find their cars as offensive! But I'm still not a fan of working on them compared to say a Nissan or Mazda.

Galaxy

Even Mazda specific cars like the RX-8 would most likely not have been possible without the Ford teamup.

Laconian

I think Ford has been a good owner. Sure they screwed over Mazda with the Navajo, but they've managed to give Mazda a LOT of autonomy compared to General Motors and Saab. I'd rather they remain with the devil they know.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

The Pirate

Quote from: Laconian on October 12, 2008, 01:00:39 PM
I think Ford has been a good owner. Sure they screwed over Mazda with the Navajo, but they've managed to give Mazda a LOT of autonomy compared to General Motors and Saab. I'd rather they remain with the devil they know.

Mazda was actually pretty instrumental in developing the 1st gen Explorer/Navajo.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Laconian

What development was necessary for the Explorer? As far as I know it was just a Ranger with seats and a roof over the paylod.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

AltinD

Quote from: TBR on October 12, 2008, 09:18:08 AM
To raise capital to improve Ford products and marketing in order to make Ford profitable.

And what makes you think they (FORD) can achieve that?

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

r0tor

Quote from: Galaxy on October 12, 2008, 12:16:21 PM
Even Mazda specific cars like the RX-8 would most likely not have been possible without the Ford teamup.

my car is made of 99% parts made in japan... so i doubt that
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

MX793

Quote from: r0tor on October 12, 2008, 04:47:00 PM
my car is made of 99% parts made in japan... so i doubt that

It might have been made with Japanese parts, but a good deal of the development money was spent with Ford's blessing.  Another parent company might not have let them pursue developing an RX car.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

TBR

Quote from: AltinD on October 12, 2008, 02:30:04 PM
And what makes you think they (FORD) can achieve that?

I didn't say whether or not I thought they could do it, but it's their responsibility to the stockholders to at least try.

Galaxy

Quote from: MX793 on October 12, 2008, 04:56:40 PM
It might have been made with Japanese parts, but a good deal of the development money was spent with Ford's blessing.  Another parent company might not have let them pursue developing an RX car.

Exactly.

Onslaught

The good news is I've seen that Mazda is going to try and buy it's share back itself if Ford is going to do it. If that happens then they can make whatever the hell they want to.

Raza

Okay, so you're an insider.

Why isn't there a hot version the RX-8!? 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

the Teuton

The better question:  Why doesn't a 400 hp turbo RX-7 exist yet?

Onslaught

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=16097.msg898983#msg898983 date=1223858126
Okay, so you're an insider.

Why isn't there a hot version the RX-8!? 
I wouldn't call me an insider! They don't know or give a fuck who I am other than I buy their cars.
Any reason I could give you would just be speculation on the RX-8. And all the stuff I've posted about Mazda is just
things I've seen on the internet. So it could all be BS for all I know.

2o6

Quote from: the Teuton on October 12, 2008, 06:38:21 PM
The better question:  Why doesn't a 400 hp turbo RX-7 exist yet?

Emissions Standards. Even if it were to be made, it would not be sold here.

4wheelsonline

So it means... They will create as partners? Is that it? How come that Ford will combined with Mazda..  :huh:

r0tor

not really... the RENESIS was a product of a skunkworks project that was under the radar.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Galaxy

Quote from: r0tor on October 13, 2008, 07:17:08 AM
not really... the RENESIS was a product of a skunkworks project that was under the radar.

If Mazda did not have Ford to help with on the more mundane projects there would most likely not have the resources to build a car like the RX-8.

r0tor

Quote from: Galaxy on October 13, 2008, 07:28:15 AM
If Mazda did not have Ford to help with on the more mundane projects there would most likely not have the resources to build a car like the RX-8.

The renesis was done by a few engineers on their spare time.  The chassis was developed to be under the rx-8 and miata.  Their marketing is centered around sports car.  Ford has zilch to do with the RX-8.

Mazda has had the resources to build low volume rotary powered cars since the 60's...